New R32 driven and....

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Rob.gti, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Rob.gti Forum Member

...it wasnt "that" impressive [:s]

Okay, I am being a little harsh. But in all honesty its a close call when you drive it back to back with the MK5 GTI.

Firstly, the interior is an exact replica of the GTI, with the exception of a nasty decoratively polished trim all round the inside of the cabin and on the ash tray. The leather seats are identical with the exception of the "R" logo where the GTI logo should be. The outside, well we have all seen that, but in its defence, it looks better in the flesh - even the wheels!

Onto the drive... The car I had included the fantastic DSG box with paddle shift. This teamed up with the 3.2 was perfect. Both in Semi-Auto and in Sport mode the car was quick, but not super quick! The roar of the V6 was prominant on overtaking, but was relaxed to a low hum when cruising. Grip was amazing, even with some slush on the back roads, the car gave a feeling of security as it swept through corners without batting an eyelid. But the new R32 feels very heavy. Even behind the wheel you get an incline of how much weight the car is carrying, this is something you dont get with the GTI. In the same vein the R32 doesnt feel fast. It is fast, no doubt about it, but you feel too detached from everything to get the wow factor. Its the complete opposite when you drive the GTI, it feels agile, it feels fast and I would go on to say, it is easily as quick as the R32. Its only when you get the V6 up and running that the V6 comes into its own.

The GTI at high speed tends to lose "puff", you get the feeling that the turbo has done all it can and the engine takes over, leaving the startling performance to much lower speeds. The R32 seems to be the opposite, low down its no quicker than the 4-pot turbo, but up top it pulls and pulls. A true V6.

I took this test drive today for 2 reasons, one was for curiosity, the other... maybe I would buy one!

Having done the test, hand on heart, I will stick with the GTI. Its a lot more fun and seems quicker than the R on these british roads. Yes I would be a lot happier if my GTI had 4 wheel drive, as getting the power down in the current conditions is terrible, but once away I reckon the GTI could seriously give the R32 a run for its money in dry conditions cause the MK5 chassis is so good.

As for it being the successor to the MK4 R32, its very good. It makes the MK4 seem a little too harsh. Everything has been tamed in the MK5 R32, but the trill and drive is better than the MK4 by a mile. Its just a shame the MK4 R looks so much better [:s]

2. Peter Forum Member

Had a quick look over one in the dealer the other day quite suprised really looked a lot better in the tin than in photographs,

Love the optional high back Recaros there a fantastic seat very similar to those fitted in the new RS4

as much as I like Golfs if I was in the market for a small 6 pot car think I would pay the premium and go for the new BMW 130i [:$]

pete

3. GazB Forum Member

I tried to go for a test drive on the weekend, but they sold the bast@rd [:^(]

4. Rob.gti Forum Member

On the up side, off the back of the test drive I got talking to the Sales Manager and he has a company GTI, he told me he has had it remapped by Forge... needless to say I mentioned warrantee issues, to which he replied: "just dont tell us" [:D]

Time to look at GTI remap me thinks [8D]

5. b'locks Forum Addict

Give me a black mk5 gti anyday. :thumbup:

6. superden Forum Addict

Seconded :) :thumbup:

7. octane Forum Junkie

Thirded in red :lol:

8. Seraph Banned

indeed, mk5gti and revo sound good together! [:D]

9. Rob.gti Forum Member

Yep - looking at Revo (via Stealth Racing) a remap on MK5 GTI will produce:

MK5 GTI 2.0T

BHP = std 200bhp - Revo 265bhp
    Torque = std 207lbft - Revo 300lbft

:p

10. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

yep the Mk 5 GTI is a realyy nice drive,something I could live with & I've found the the R32 not that much better, having to give it a bit of booting [:|] after a getting one with starting problems [:[] (IE it's not!)

the V6 felt the same as any other. if anything it doen't have the same kick in the pants feeling, on the other hand I totally love the th mk 4 R32 after having one the other weekend! driving them back to back the Mk 4 felt special :thumbup:

Mk 5 R32 gets a big :thumbd: from Crispy [:s]

who know's I may change my mind one day [:$]
    Edited by: Crispy 8V

11. Seraph Banned

seems like mk5 gti's gettin the thumbs up at r32's expense!

Can't believe theres 2nd handers already tho! :o

12. scottgroovez Forum Member

Mos probably bought to sell on at a profit for those wanting to jump the waiting list.

13. Rob.gti Forum Member

The R32 waiting list will be a long one too. The dealer I test drove at said they had sold next years R32 allocation already!!!!

VW are determined to keep the R32 as exclusive as possible with only 2000 imported each year. This is to keep residuals high. Salesman told me that if you buy an R32 on 3 year Solutions, VW are quoting minimum of 60% final value!! Thats huge compared to the run of the mill cars.

14. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Said the same about the mk4 R32 didn't they? there's loads of them around. :lol:

15. Rob.gti Forum Member

The MK4 was supposed to be a limited edition, which is different to the MK5 setup, which is a manufactured run till the MK6 is launched.

VW didnt foresee how popular the MK4 R32 would become, and once the orders started coming in, they rightly cashed in on it. Bad news for people who bought thinking "limited numbers" but still, the MK4 R is still holding its value it would seem. The way the MK5 is, I would imagine the MK4 to become a very popular second hand buy :)

16. Laydon Forum Member

Is it just me who likes them in white [:$]

17. Peter Forum Member

Me too! white looks excellent, no leather trim either tartan all the way :p , EVO's long termer is a white three door it looks really good
    Edited by: Peter

18. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I like the grey one that Steve Kirk from Golf+ has :thumbup:

19. wolfie2 Forum Member

you just don't get limited anymore, they still have to produce high volumes to get there money back [:s]

mk5 gti in black chipped to the hilt wi a BIG turbo ;)

20. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

White looks fantastic on the mk5-really harks back to the original. Give it some black wheels and that'd be about perfect for me.

However, the pearlescent white on the alfa 147 GTA's looks better again. Sod the slightly iffy dynamics, they look soooo good, and an alfa v6, well, nuff said.