New R32 in Autoexpress

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by GolfBryan, Jun 2, 2004.

1. GolfBryan Forum Member

Looks amazing, wish I could afford one!

2. Rob.gti Forum Member

Photoshop... I doubt the real one will be like that. But we shall see.

Especially as VW have registered the "R36" name ;)

3. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

4. GolfBryan Forum Member

dont have a scanner, sorry! its not on their webpage either. if i find some, will post them.

5. drew Forum Member

The article quotes that the 'R32' badge will be associated with more than just the Golf though, even the Passat perhaps, which is a bit surprising for two reasons.

1. I assumed R32 was to do with the engine capacity rather than any specific nomenclature.

2. Considering what happened to other manufacturers in the 80s who tried to stick GTI badges on other models in their range.... (Peugeot 504 GTI Estate anyone? [xx(] ) ... i.e. they crashed and burned!

Still, it will make the mk4 R32 depreciate a bit faster for those of you waiting for it!

Cheers,

Drew.
    Edited by: drew

6. Guests Banned

bought it today and love it, still uk buyers get till 2006 to save for it 6 speed manual or dsg ?

7. Rob.gti Forum Member

I would have changed mine by 2006 anyway ;)

I am not convinced on the report in AutoExpress to be honest. All the pictures are Photoshopped GTI press pictures. All the info is based on "an insider" which doesnt give me reason to believe anything.

I concider it hype to generate interest in the MK5, especially as AutoExpress have done the last two weeks with the New Focus on the cover!

Volkswagen have registered the R36 name and are currently developing a 3.6 V6 engine for the Touareg range, this will replace the current 3.2 V6. So my money is on the 3.6 V6 being slotted into the MK5 and it being called an R36.

Watch this space ;)

8. mk1. Forum Junkie

yep me mate got told this at the dealers [:D] he`s put his name down for one already :p

9. Admin Guest

3.6 vr6 in a mk5, aren't we getting a little silly now? though i'm hoping thats going to be a hoot to drive [:D]

but why don't they put something like that or something spicy in a polo or lupo to gain a bit of street cred and the hot hatch name back rather than go for the middle of the road club.

10. Cabriofx Forum Member

When I was down at VW Training a few months ago a R37 was mentioned. ;)

11. nic_ape Forum Member

hang on a minute if the new hot golf has a 3.6 in isnt that the same as the 911? if so anyone feeling a 911 turbo conversion coming on, or would that be too difficult with the boxer engine?

12. drew Forum Member

Trouble is, the Polo GTI and Lupo GTI are niche models and spectacularly failed to sell in big numbers. VW seems unable to create the 'GTI' excitement in these cars, or people simply don't want small hot hatches from VW anymore.

The Golf GTI sells mostly because of the brand, and people who buy a Mk5 GTI now are probably 30-40 year olds who have fond memories of the Golf when they were growing up.

Back in the 70s and early 80s the Golf was a 'family' car, most Golfs nowadays are bought by singles and the families have moved on to the Touran/Sharan/Tourareg etc.

Us enthusiasts are a vocal bunch, but we contribute diddlysquat to VWs bottom line in terms of selling new cars, so don't expect them to make cars for us, but rather cars that sensible shoes motorists will buy.

R32s are all very well, but they are only there to create a bit of excitement in the rest of the range. Any 'R' car will never have the widespread adoption that the GTI had in it's day (25% of Mk2s ever sold were GTIs).

VW makes it's money from the mid range models with sensible engines and average trim levels and thats where they will concentrate. Most successful Mk5? That will be the 2.0 TDI 140, undoubtably.

Cheers,

Drew.

Edited by: drew

13. Rob.gti Forum Member

I would put my money on the 1.6 FSI SE. Its a good performer, spacious, low tax banding, excellent economy for a petrol and not bad spec. Priced at around 14500 it should comfortably be the Golfs prime seller.

14. AndrewD Forum Member

As you say, the 911 engine is a boxer and the R32/36 engine is a narrow angle V6. Totally different things!

Sure that HPA will come out with a mental twin-turbo conversion produced though :)

15. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Interesting pics but not sure if they are real or not as others have said. Still, if it brings Mk4 R32 prices down a bit it can't be a bad thing for the rest of us. :p

16. Rob.gti Forum Member

Whatever happens, i dont think you will see the R version till well into 2006 or even start of 2007. I got life in the old dog yet ;)

17. Guests Banned

well im looking forward to the r32 dropping in price

that way i can buy one [:D]

18. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Yep, my thoughts exactly! :)

19. vealige Forum Member

One day yep! :lol:

20. Guests Banned

i rememeber when a highline was 22k [:D]