New S3 TFSI conversion into mk2 golf - what gearbox will work?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by okcid, May 9, 2011.

1. okcid New Member

As above guys, picking up a CDL TFSI Engine (265bhp S3/TTS/SciroccoR) next week to give my golf a little power upgrade ;)

Currently running with a g60 lump but this is now being broken for sale to help fund the project.

Want a 6 speed manual box for the conversion, any ideas as to which box will be best?

Thank in advance

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. ADS

ads New Member

march 07 pvw mate , covers all mk2/corrado cased 6speed box's i used a GLB for my axx tfsi rado , out of a mk5/audi a3 1.6 or 2.0 fsi , hope that helps :)

3. foxyjay Forum Member

Pretty interested in this one myself as am looking for TFSI S3 engine for another Mk2 I have.

I'd say any of the later gearboxes should work ok.......just check gear ratios.

4. prof Forum Addict

02S, have a search on here, lots of threads about them

5. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

for the power thats running thought those stock engines, I wound't trust nothing less than a 02M unless your just heading down the shops to pick up the weekly shop

yes anything thats 02A derived will work just fine and simple to bolt up to the chassis!

6. okcid New Member

Thought i better add the removal in before the engine being picked up, :)

Ok little update

A guy called me up on Friday morning about 10ish and advised me he wanted the whole engine. Good news!!!

Apart from the fact the car was over 30 miles away and the cars fully running. He wanted to pick up the engine on Sunday morning :suprised:

[​IMG]

So i got up, stuck on some old clothes and set about the journey to my garage in Devon.

With no help i set about removing my G60 engine armed with nothing but a halfords professional tool kit and a small tool box (the sort of tool kit the mrs keeps around the house for small bits and bobs)

I arrived at 11ish and got stuck in.

[​IMG]

All went pretty well actually and made good progress. Had to nip over to halfords and buy a cheap "lift kit" as the call it. Comprised of trolly jack, axel stands, wheel blocks and a padded car creeper.

[​IMG]

front end off i have good access to all the hard to reach sensors.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wiring was something i was worried about on the journey over to the car. I've never done anything like this before so didn't know what to expect. I've removed the charger on the car and changed a set of break pads before so this was set to be an interesting experience.

I like to think i'm a logical thinker and after a few head scratching moments i managed to sort as much as poss with the engine still in situ.

I was going to pop out the drive shafts but all my suspension (if completely honest) was well overdue an update and everything seemed to be stuck solid.

[​IMG]

The boot looks a little twisted aye :rolleyes:

Anyway a bit of encouragement from mr lump hammer and it gave up the ghost. Wasn't too fussed about being a bit heavy handed as it's all going to be replaced for nice new stuff during the conversion.

During the day i was phoning round trying to source parts to aid me with the removal.

A trip to Exeter GSF later i had a 12 spline 800mm bar to remove the 6 drive shaft bolts each side. 1st side went perfect but passanger side bloody rounded off so out came mr lump again. :) out they came.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thankfully a few calls and a few favors later 3 kind mates turned up with an engine crane borrowed from Ford (haha thanks Ford)

[​IMG]

As you can see in the pic, instead of supporting the engine under the front when putting it up on the axel stands i decided to put the front crossmember back in and get the crane to support the whole engine after this was back on. Then i took the front cross member back off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then the moment of truth, fingers crossed. This was probably when i come across other things i'd forgotten to undo.

[​IMG]

Nope....it just slid straight out!! HAHA, happy days and time for a fag :thumbleft:

It worked quite well, i undid the downpipe in the centre and thought we would have to riggle the engine around to lift off the studs but when i undid the rear engine mount the engine dropped at the front and it popped off.

[​IMG]

The dreaded wiring proved to be me worrying about nothing. 10 mins and i had removed a couple of bits and bobs QPENG advised i need to keep and it was out.

WoW, didn't think it would be out so soon, not bad considering my lack of experience. Well i like to think so anyway :cheers:

[​IMG]

So Sunday came and it was actually pretty sad seeing my engine being taken away by the new owner. You get to know all the ins and outs of your engine and now it feels daunting not knowing this about the new engine.

Sad day for me but lets look forward now.

I'm off to pick up my new TFSI lump this Sunday from Newcastle!! Going to be a bloody long drive but worth it.
    I did consider palleting it down to me but i agreed with the current owner it will be good for me to be there as i can make sure i get everything i need. Plus it will only cost me about another 30 quid in fuel.

This will not be a quick conversion for me but i'm keen to do as much as possible my self. The cars going to be fully resprayed, new suspension and steering parts, 4 pots, exhaust system, engine, gearbox, all the wiring, intercooler etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for the replies guys.

Picked up the engine last weekend complete with all auxiliaries, loom, ecu, clocks (which i won't actually be using)

Gonna be a while before it's finished as i've got loadsa other stuff i want to replace on the car but i've taken the first steps :)

The testarossa stood no chance against the twin engines TFSI/1.6 RT megane, lol!
    Oh and yes i drove from Devon to Newcastle to pick the engine up in a 350 megane! Haha it looked decked on the way home :lol:
    [​IMG]

Engine sat next to my rather tired looking engine bay after the G60 lump came out. Will be mint again soon though :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Engines mint and only covered 1200 miles so is great for my conversion. Got it for a good price too :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  7. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

you got it for a friggen great price !

8. okcid New Member

9. Tarmac Terrorist Forum Member

Let's see a build thread.

10. okcid New Member

Yeah a thread will be put together when complete but it's a part time build so not going to be a quick turn around. :)

11. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Excellent. The TFSI engine is fantastic, and will be ever more popular in the Mk1/Mk2 platform. Id love to stick one in my other Scirocco.

12. okcid New Member

OK now i am in a bit of a situation and was wondering what people think my conversion is worth.

I have been thinking about selling my project (everything, car, tfsi CDL code S3/TTS TFSI engine, engine and whole S3 car loom, S3 engine loom, ECU and complete car) and just putting it out there to see if anyone would be interested in buying it as it is???

Engine is complete with everything, Turbo, Manifold, Flywheel the lot. It would need mounting, custom downpipe and the wiring mated and the dbw pedel.

The engines bearly run in and done 1200 miles, looks like it's just come out the factory :) and have seen one on ebay for 2500 with 21,000miles so am open to offers.

Engines 265 bhp standard in S3 and 272 bhp in TTS (identical lump just different map) and with a revo map is over 300bhp :)

If someone can offer me a sensible price for the lot or even just the engine i might (god damn regrettably) be tempted to let it go.

Let me know guys

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011