New toy: Emerald K3

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by mark25, May 28, 2010.

1. mark25 Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

Going to fit it to this tonight:

[​IMG]

It's an Elise S1 with a B & C 160 kit, so has about 145 bhp at the moment. I'm a bit worried as this is the best Lotus i've driven, it's got loads more power than a standard Elise and runs like a sewing machine at high revs. It's actually only a little bit slower than an S1 Exige with 190 bhp, but a MUCH better drive, especially at low, <3000 and high revs. Looking for an extra 20 ponies, we'll see:p

Gonna replace the standard TB:

[​IMG]

With these:

[​IMG]

And then sort the Piper cams out properly:

[​IMG]

With these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will try and get the cold running sorted in two gos, one tonight and one tomorow morning, with the aid of this:

[​IMG]

By this time tomorow it will be well and truly broken, or [:D]

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. coupechamp Forum Member

looking good, we've had Elises/Exiges at Silverstone since day one. They are one of my all time favourite cars to play in. When we got the exiges it was a great step forward, not to say theres anything wrong with the early elises, they just lacked that bit of uummppphhh that the later stuff had, especially driving around the circuit. Great car to teach in (until some one throws it off into armco!! ouchhh) and gave a smile to at least 99.9% of the people i had sitting next to me. :thumbup:

p.s info on the guitar :-)

3. mark25 Forum Junkie

I know what you mean, that's what we're trying to adress, without the Exige S1 bag of bolts effect though.

http://axisofjustice.net/

Axis of Justice is a non-profit organization formed by Tom Morello and Serj Tankian. Its purpose is to bring together musicians, fans of music, and grassroots political organizations to fight for social justice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Morello

Morello uses heavily modified guitars from various manufacturers, but he has never had an official endorsement deal with any company.

* Mongrel Custom, aka "Arm The Homeless" - Morello's most famous guitar, and his main guitar for standard tuning since 1991. The original guitar was made by Performance Guitar, CA,USA for Morello to his exact specifications. It featured a Stratocaster body with a Performance Corsair neck, 2 Seymour Duncan JB pickups and A chrome original Floyd Rose tremolo system. However, when he got the guitar he hated everything about it and completely reassembled it. Since then just about everything has been changed countless times. The only thing that remains from the original guitar is the body. The body is blue with the words "Arm the Homeless" written on it in black and red. It has a 3-way toggle switch mounted on the lower horn, 4 Hippos (painted) on the front, one large hippo (upside down) painted on the back, and a hammer and sickle symbol sticker. The neck is a 22 fret Performance Guitar neck with a rosewood board and a "banana" headstock. It also has Gotoh Crownhead tuners. It has an EMG 81/EMG H set of pickups and a Ibanez Edge Floyd Rose Tremolo. The guitar is tuned to standard E. This guitar is available in the video game Guitar Hero 3:Legends of Rock.

4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

So is it a K3 or a K6... ;)

5. mark25 Forum Junkie

It's K6 hardware running K3 firmware, as the K6 is not released yet. So both;)

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  6. mark25 Forum Junkie

Didn't ge tthat far as we had to change the exhaust manifold (which was leaking at the gasket) to get at the Lamdbda probe. Which meant i had to make a new heat shield from an old MGF one:

[​IMG]

Then the matching of the head to the TB's took longer than expected:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the TB's mounted, only to find the throttle cable didn't fit. Should have paid the few quid extra for new Jenveys instead of used Titans i guess....

[​IMG]

7. mark25 Forum Junkie

Got 164 bhp, exactly the 20 we were looking for, and what the K-series Gurus suggested it was worth. Although it's still noticeably slower than an S1 Exige with 190 bhp, which leads me to believe that Lotus weren't far off with their, seemingly optimistic, 190 claim. This one drives 100x better tho and does 1.5x the mpg.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Any dyno plots / in car video?

9. mark25 Forum Junkie

I've sorted the Dyno plot link in post #7 now.

Blue is mark25 power, to 5000 rpm.

Red is after the RR session.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  10. mark25 Forum Junkie