New Toy..

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Zaphod, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

Once I have collected it.. and handed over the cash.. Ebay item 230487386988

Plans are to restore it back to original, inital plans are to replace the brake lines with non rusting versions, and all the flexies. And fit the P slots in my back garden.. left by a previous occupant (well known about here). I think I have a deal done for the correct bumpers, but memory from my jetta GT says the GTi has slightly differnt trim on the small bumpers compared to the standard car (red trim strip???).

After that is MOT time again (I may have to discocnet the cold start injector, the photo of the back makes it look to be running rich.. which corroborates with the MOT emissions fail)

Are the correct side strips availabe still? of would it be better to get creative with masking tape and satin black paint?, should the sill's be black on a Mk2 this early? what are my chances the rear vallence has not been chopped about to fit the 'wot a bore' exhaust, and the big one.. can a late door shell be fitted with the early glass?

Stewart

2. tomsdubs Forum Member

Damn that looks pretty good for that money, most of the parts can be found in classifieds mate so should be able to keep the costs down.

3. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Hi Mate,

Looks soild for the money even if its fallen foul of some crap mods over the years. he bumpers should prob have the red strip, however some of the very earliest mk2 gti came with plain black i think. The side strips would be the stick on plastic mouldings with red stripe, there was a new set on ebay for a hefty price recently, but as an alternative you can put mk1 style vinyls on such as found on volkswagenstickers.co.uk. I dont think an earlyish one like this would have the sill vinyls coverings, although you can get these from the above site too. Sadly the later doors cant be fitted with the early glass without some tricky fabrication, early doors are still about though so id look out for a spare if yours are rough, you might even find a mars red one.

Cheers and good luck!

D

4. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

Just wondering is it should have mouldings at all on the side, as having looked some of the early press shots seem to show side stripes very much like the Mk1. But I am surprised to find the eharly bumpers are available new still and not at looney prices, so I may just put new ones on to save messing with getting second hand ones upto scratch

anyway some pics.. used in auction..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  5. 66dub Forum Member

where are the early bumpers still available? i have some of those side strips the rubbery ones with red stripe i think just one small front one is missing(might be wrong though might of been there just not fitted) not mint as they were off the car but still good condition reds faded a bit pm me if interested

6. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

Picked it up now, have found a few issues. The paintwork is not so bad, but faded, and there are the normal collection of parking dings and supermarket scars, nothing unexpected however. On front shock is however shot. more of a surprise is.. the floorpan is perfect no rot in the fuel filler area or under the battery, no welding and no sign of any being needed any time soon this pelases me greatly. Even the front jacking piont thingies are perfect.

The sunroof had been sealed up (arghh this really annoys me unblock the bloody drains if it leaks!!!) however its now fixed and working prioperly assumiing it just slides back and has no tilt? the drains are now unblocked but the 'seal' is in now in a hell of a state after having the sealant removed, is this replaceble?

The braking system has be the recipient of some odd bodges, and so needs every pipe repalceing, everything is conected topologically as it should be, but the pipes are nothing like where they should be!!! So I'm having to repalce the lot. Engine runs a pulls well, but needs a full service, the gearbox is quiet, and changes gear with no fuss.

So any good ideas how to remove what I think is slikaflex windscreen bonding from the piantwork? and where can I find a door to repalce the dented (and rotten) drivers door?

The lack of rust in the main shell is rather a surprise.. although I ahve heard that the early Mk2 rusted less than the later cars, this certainly seems to be the case if this car is anything to go by

7. tones61

tones61 Forum Member

8. smp1987 Forum Member

K-jet FTW

Early mk2's had vinyl like the mk1's after 85 they had the stick on trim then went to clip ones when the engine went to digi and the doors changed and the wiper where on the right :lol:

Dont know why it has big bumpers [xx(] but looks a tidy car there is a guy on the mk2 forum selling 2 early doors for 100 pricey i konw but they look real nice

Here is mine :thumbup:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

Would you have a link? I had a look but searching for doors brings all sorts back!

I will also add it needs the Mk2 roof gutter trims, which I undersatnd are now almost purest 'unobtainium' as the rubber has perished where it seals on the door, wich is I belive entrily normal

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  10. smp1987 Forum Member

11. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I was really amazed by the condition of the chassis on this car when I saw it yesterday. The underside of this 1985 car is far better than many of the MK2s I've had. No sign of welding, sills look fantastic, and the jacking areas look mostly okay. What's really strange is that there are areas on the body where metal is now showing because of bumps or scrapes, but you don't actually see any rust. It almost looks like it's galvanised. Surely it cannot be -- I'm not aware that they ever did this with early MK2s. But there has to be something about this early MK2 that's enabled it to last so well. The underside front areas of the floor pan, where you have quite a few seams that commonly rust (around the area where that round 'dimple' is) only have a very titchy bit of surface corrosion even though much of the underseal has worn away.

12. smp1987 Forum Member

Trev i know what you mean on my 1985 the uderseal is perfect no splitting rust the jacking point are in amazing condition there is no rust in the usual places and there was a bit of bare metal were the bumper meats the wheel arch and there is no rust and that were you get dirt water ect.

Looking at this 85 it could be a minter with very little work

13. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

One thing that suprised me is the MFA claimed 54.2 MPG bringing it back, which was a surprise, I think it's just trying to make me feel good! (my old Jetta GT never got close to this, once managing to read 40!) would this point to a vac leak?or a problem with the MFA as my memory says normaly they are pretty accurate. Odd thing is the sensor for it appeards to be on the end of the vac line tee'd in to the vac line from the TB to the Dizzy, I don't remeber this at all from the GT (this was a K-Jet one so I think the same engine)

14. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Is it like this? 1986/87 EV.
    [​IMG]

15. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

Might have one there, but the sensor in the vac line is near the dizzy!

16. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

found it in the heynes, is aparently the sensor for the 'MPG guage and shift light' and not for the MFA however this does not work, its where you would normally find the temp guage

17. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

18. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

Update..

I have done a few bits to the car now, although no closer to an MOT, it looks a lot less 'tired' in my eyes..
    first thing.. P-SLOTS!!!!
    [​IMG]
    now I need centers..
    2nd..
    Proper front bumper.. contraverial I know.. but big bumpers on 1/4light cars is just not right!
    [​IMG]
    and now the rear bumper..
    [​IMG]
    Time to deal with the bent door and front wing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and thats all for now folks..

I have also swaped out the badly cracked dash for a good one, but no photos of the old one, and I think we all know what a good one looks like!!!

Stewart

19. Claypole Forum Junkie

Looks so much better with the proper bumpers. :thumbup:

20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

check the gearbox, it should have a large multi pin reverse light switch for the gauge. if its just a 2 pin one then the gearbox has been replaced with a later one, which wouldnt be surprising.