New Tyres. On Front or back

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Quiksilver, Feb 3, 2005.

1. edc1 Forum Member

There's nothing wrong with rotating tyres. Of course if you shred a pair on the front then swap them to back then you are asking for trouble. The whole idea is to do it regularly so the wear remains as even as possible on each tyre.

2. Guests Banned

see andy you and i are talking about different things but you have been quick to start shooting you mouth off....saying i dont have an ounce of sense.

what your saying i agree with.

if you read what im saying slowly you will notice its completely different to what you think i said

i said

if your front tyres are 'worn' as in under the legal tred limit. dont put them on the back' worn tyres should be thrown away.

i didnt say

if you have a new set of tyres and you wear them in at the front you cant put them on the rear.

Edited by: RECARDO

3. Andy947 Forum Addict

OK Ok, but I'd like to think most people would know that you throw away tyres once they reach the legal limit and not put them on the rear, surely they wouldnt need it spelling out...... [:[]

4. Guests Banned

quite a few people i know do it.....and when i was 17 everyone used to do it because they were skint

golf's are front wheel drive....once the tread goes and it spins all the time people think 'oh ill just wack the back ones on to stop it spinning'

handling doesnt even cross there mind

i know people like you andy know that but some people on this board are young and wouldnt....ok so i was stating the obvious but just passing on the small amount of knowledge i do have about cars

:)

5. Andy947 Forum Addict

Fair enough. :)

Thats why things such as tyres etc should be covered in driving lessons and tests - to make those who may not know aware IMO

6. Guests Banned

cool :)

defo think more should be done in driving lessons! when i did my bike test. you have to talk to the examiner about the bike. how to check it all before you actually go for a ride.....you can fail on not knowing

why it isnt the same for cars i dont know [:s]

7. altern8 Forum Junkie

saved me asking the same question [:$]

8. Supercharged Forum Member

At the end of the day it's vitally important to have good tyres in evenly worn pairs all the way round...

Fronts are important becuase if the drive, steering and most of all the much greater braking force...

Rears are important on these cars and especially on the corrado becuase of the passive rear steeering effect provided by the axle bushes and the way the rear chassis 'follows' the front...

If asked I normally tell people to put them on the rears but it depends on the situation...

I would move good, evenly worn rear tyres to the front if they are not too old but i would never move front tyres to the back unless there is hardly any wear at all - you'll never get the full grip of the tyre on the road because of the camber causing wear at the fronts!