New VR lens

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by stella, Nov 12, 2008.

1. stella

stella Forum Junkie

My new lens finally arrived today - frustratingly, just half an hour before I've got to be ready to go out tfor lunch with a friend.

It cost just 135, inc delivery. It's 4.5-5.6, so not blisteringly fast, but at that price, it would have been rude not to ............

I've just grabbed a couple of shots to show the difference between this and my similarly specced non-VR zoom and I'm pleased with the results. Handheld, taken on Auto setting at full zoom, of a police mast over the other side of the valley.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I wish I had the time to play with it today, but it will be dark before I get back, so will have to wait for the weekend, but it's looking promising so far! :)

Can't remember who recommended it on one of these threads, but whoever it was - thank you. :)

2. lufbramatt Forum Member

impressive! looks much sharper, and its resolving so much more detail. just goes to show you can have as many pixels as you want but its the lens that makes the difference :)

what focal length is the one youve got?

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Does it have a panning mode?

Would be interesting to see the results on moving objects, ie; motorsport.

4. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

it sure does make a difference!!!

nice work

5. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Not had a chance to give it a real test yet, but plan on doing so at the weekend, and of course, the following weekend is the ClubGTI trackday at Donington, where I shall get chance to try the panning.

Watch this space! :)

Matt - the original lens is 80-200mm F4.5-5.6D. The VR is 55-200mm and F4.5-5.6D, so pretty similar.

6. enc. Forum Member

nice bit of kit innit stella :thumbup:

heres my latest. cropped hand held 55-200mm VR .....

[​IMG]

7. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Sure is - even managed to take some shots at ten o'clock at night of Coventry Cathedral last week, holding at 1/3 sec (ramped up to ISO 1600).

[​IMG]

I'm really pleased with it and am now waiting for Nikon to produce a similarly priced wide-angle VR lens. Oh - and an even longer one, perhaps >400mm. All at F2.8, preferably! :lol: </dreams on>

8. enc. Forum Member

Just noticed they put the price up by a tenner [xx(]

9. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Typical! I've been after buying a new monitor and it's taken three attempts of it being out of stock etc and each time it creeps up by a tenner or more.

I reckon some of the crafty retailers are putting a bit on the price now, so that next week they can reduce the VAT - or appear to!!! [:x]