Newbie ABF ITB Build guidance needed

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by corradlo, Apr 3, 2014.

1. corradlo New Member

Gents i need some help.

Im looking to fit an itb'd abf into my corrado, i have the engine ( almost rebuilt ) now i need to start collecting the parts for the conversion.

i have looked at the extensive and very detailed posts regarding ITB's on this forum, the info is amazing but a little overwhelming!!

I have contacted a few different companies , jenvey/at power/ badger 5, so far im swaying towards to jenvey's because they are proven and the service is great ( they also mentioned that i can use the stock injectors?).

What i would like to know is a basic parts list for this setup. The engine is being rebult by myself to standard vw specs and it is for fast road use.

At the moment that car is shell, so existing wiring looms parts etc... do not matter as i have a blank canvas to start with.

I will be taking the car to shows so detailing is also a factor in the build. I have basic engine based mechanical skills and have rebuilt the whole car fom the ground up, now just need to build my first proper engine!

I would like to use new parts, and try to where possible do things correctly, so although not unlimted, this is not a budget build.

Apologies if this has been asked a million times before, just hoping to tap in to the massive knowledge base on this forum.

Thanks in advance gents

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  2. G28OPN Forum Member

Im currently doing something similar to you, so off the top of my head you will need, prefferably jenvey direct to head jenvey 45's with trumpets, fuel rail, throttle linkage and throttle pot, dizzy blanking plate, wiring harness which a guy on here may be able to do, if not then harnessing solutions, coil pack, fuel pressure regulator, and probably a external crank trigger wheel set-up, although i think you can use your current internal trigger wheel and sensor for yours. A descent ecu, mine is dta s40 pro which is meant to be pretty good but alot of people on here swear by megasquirt. As for using your current injectors, im not sure. Also fuel line and clips etc etc. Someone with alot more experience will come along shortly.
    Good luck with your build:thumbup:

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

ITBS

Jenvey
    Badger 5 is a dealer for Jenvey throttles, with the DTH version which would be the most robust and widely used solution.

ATPower
    ATPower are also a solution and though will make no noticeable difference in real world performance to a set same length/sized Jenveys, will have the looks you need, when you take the car to shows. Expect to pay a premium for them though.

DIY
    I have written a thread on here on the effects of throttles on a std ABF engine. The main components in those postings, was self created using OEM Toyota 4AGE 20v items as a base. I was fortunate to have all the resources to turn around two sets of working ITBs at minimum cost as well as knowing where to source them without any hassle.

How to connect to it.

With ITBs, the control loom is pretty simple, as you need to connected to:

Inputs

• Std crank pickup
    • std coolant temp sensor
    • TPS on ITBS
    • Bosch manifold temp sensor e.g. like a 20vT item, mounted in the airfilter assembly.
    • Planer Lambda sensor (wideband) or kit ( optional)

Outputs

• Injectors
    • Coil pack e.g. like a Sagem from a Reno/pug or a Ford/Bosch 4 pole unit (you need a dizzy blanking plat from 'duff' on here)
    • Fuel pump relay

Power Supply/Demand

• ECU connector
    • Permanent Power KL30 Vbatt and ignition KL15
    • Earth KL31

You would also need the connectors with 'pigtails', a wiring schematic for the ECU and another with the supply, polarity and output points on the vehicle.

What do you control it with?

We now come to the ECU or PCM selection.
    First determine what extra functions you want the ECU to control and or datalog, in addition to the boggo std fuel and spark tables.
    Determine if you are interested in mapping the engine yourself.
    Determine your budget.

I have been promoting the use of Megasquirt on this forum, as an educational DIY device, also as an introduction to the world of calibration.
    You will need to be involved if a Megasquirt is to be used.
    However if you are more of a fit it and forget it inclination, do look at other brands such as OMEX 600, Older used EXP48 DTAs, newer S series DTAs and Emerald K6 or older used K3.
    The latter 3 brands were all originally designed to be alpha-N, great for ITBs systems and for motorsport use.

Hope this helps.
    :thumbup:

G28OPN and Nige like this.
  4. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I have my old set of ITB`s for sale which are ex GSXR 750`s, but they are not as `nice looking` as specific car ITB`s which as you want to go to shows, is probably the best way for you.

The post above mine tells you pretty much everything you need to know to get started !

5. G28OPN Forum Member

Eddie, why a fuel pump relay?

6. Toyotec

When keyed on but the engine off, the ECU should send a timed low signal to the coil on the fuel pump relay, turning on the main current contacts to the fuel pump for a few seconds.
    When engine speed is detected the relay output stays low allowing the pump to run, until the engine is stopped.

Makes sense?

7. G28OPN Forum Member

Makes sense. For some reason i just thought it would carry on working the same as it did with my bike carb set-up lol
    Dreading when the time comes to wiring it all up, despite the fact it seems straight forward, it clearly not! Not for me anyway!

Thanks.

8. corradlo New Member

Wow thanks Toyotec, thats the kind of info im looking for, hopefully you can help me some more!

i have recieved replies from jenvey and at power with regards to suppyling a "full" kit for my car, i will list below what they include:

Jenvey:

Part No DBRVK/45 Direct to head throttle bodies

Part No TBR22 Fuel rail

Part No AH45 X 120 Alloy air horns

Part No TP1 Throttle position sensor

For ECU they recommend emerald K6.

At power:

ABF Throttle set complete with Fuel rail linkage etc

Emerald K6 Ecu

Flying lead Wiring loom

Air temp sensor

Throttle position sensor

Adjustable fuel pressure regulator

Yes you can use your std injectors.

Now after recieving these i realised emerald actually supply a full kit also (with jenvey bodies), this includes:

Emerald Generic K6 ECU *

Flying loom on ECU plug - inductive crank sensor

2 x Jenvey 45mm DCOE Twin Throttle bodies

Jenvey Fuel rail kit

Emerald Adjustable Length Intake - set of 4

Fuel injectors - 320cc's - set of 4

2-pin mini timer plugs - set of 4 (for fuel injectors)

Adjustable Fuel pressure regulator

Throttle Position Sensor & plug

Air temperature sensor & plug

Coolant temp sensor & plug

( emerald have made me aware that a badger 5 throttle linkage will be needed. Is this the only option?)

Of the 3 kits, the emerald and atpower setups seem the most "complete", from these are there any extra parts i need.

There are a few other items im not quite sure about, for example,

Going distributorless: i have already decided i would like to blank off the distributor, and use mk5 golf coilpacks. i have been told mu emerald that thiis setup will work with there ecu, just want to clarify. Do i need anything else to run this distributorless setup.

Crank sensor: what type of sensor will i need, i have been told i can use the exitsing crank pulley and sensor??

Fuel pump setup: I have an early corrado and im not that keen on running the original intank + under car pumps, can i replace these with a single unit that will work with the itb's or is it best to use these with a fuel pressure regulator. ( i have OCD, everything is striipped down and i want to rebult the setup as cleanly and simply as possible, no extra wiring pumps etc......!)

Phew thanks again in advance for any help, its much appreicated, below are some pics of the build at the moment....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just need to remember where i put the car lol
    Its may not be everyones cup of tea on here!! (i understand theres lots of hardcore track cars)but i hope you can appreciate the build..

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    tshirt2k and Toyotec like this.
  9. Toyotec

Nice parts layout :thumbup:

I can reply later.

On the road...

10. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Absolutely !

I don`t `get` the whole drag thing at all, but I can still appreciate a good build, regardless of intended use. Same for the `show / scene` stuff. If it`s a well thought out build (without stretched tyres ;) ), I will still follow and enjoy the journey.

There are plenty non-track cars on here so don`t worry about that :thumbup:

11. mickey marrows Forum Member

I should point out that regardless of what Jenvey and At Power say, you CANNOT use the standard ABF injectors.

Out of your original list of suppliers I would HIGHLY recommend dealing with Bill at Badger 5. He knows more about running ABF's on throttle bodies than anyone, I believe it was Bill that actually developed the Jenvey DTH bodies..

Bill is also 'one of us'.. he's a regular poster on this forum..

Toyotec likes this.
  12. Gtinick

Gtinick Paid Member Paid Member

He did. By a protracted route my son and I have the engine etc. The old Jetta finally succumbed to tin worm. :cry:

I'm slowly getting there!

Good luck to us all.

Nick

13. LUPOCHARGED

LUPOCHARGED Paid Member Paid Member

Wow if this is what the under carriage looks like i'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the car. Keep up the good work.

14. Marty's Dub Forum Member

Applause! Some guys just need 11/10 for all the graft that goes into builds like these! You all know who you are! Much Respect!

Last edited: May 6, 2014