Newbie saying Hi and after some advice

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by MonkeyBoy, Jan 5, 2009.

1. MonkeyBoy New Member

Greetings,

Thought it was worth registereing here as I want to get my missus a Mk3 Golf GTi. Can anybody advise on things to look for, common grot areas or issues I should be aware of?

Coming from a Ford background and spending my spare time playing with RS's it was kind of an accident when looking for a Focus for the daily hack I accidentally purchased an Audi A4. When it came to replace this I found myself drawn to getting a second A4 with the AEB 1.8T motor and have found fun tinkering with it. When I purchased my house one of the cars had to go and saddly my 1991 Fiesta RS Turbo project needed to be sold on to help fund the wifes new Kitchen (still not fully forgiven her) [:^(] . Too be fair as she said it was silly having 2 RS's moth balled in garages not being used.

[​IMG]

Had planned to play with a Mk2 2 but her indoors is adament they are too old and she won't even look at them. On the plus side I like the Mk3's shape and think with the right choice of wheels and a few subtle tweeks it could look great.

Anyway that's me, I hope to stick about as soon as I find the GTi I'm looking for :thumbup:

2. PeterGolf Forum Member

fookin hell - a fiesta turbo. if your used to looking for rot spots on them, do the same with the mk3 and you'll be fine. think sills suffer on mk3....but not the fuel cap....

im a mk2 man, so apart from obvious, im not sure what to look for

3. MonkeyBoy New Member

aye. Not many left. My brother has one as well as a project which should be an animal once the new ECU is in and it's been mapped.

Found a GTi for sale at a garage. I've got a meeting on Thursday near this place so will drop in and have a look.

4. Choppers New Member

when you test drive it try to make sure the abs works as the control unit can go which can be expensive to replace so some people just disconnect the warning light

5. ac29 New Member

Hi,

Heavy Front tyre wear. ABS /Air bag lights sometimes have gremlins. MFA computers sometimes play up.Top mounts for the shocks are common MOT failures. Apart from that just the usual accident damage etc.

Cheers