newbies fro the midlans

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Dan the Gti Man, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Dan the Gti Man New Member

right guys im new to this whole modding thing. im a 22 yr old, iv owned my mark 2 1.3 red golf now for 5 years, only driven for 6 monthns, (engine overheated) currently driving a 206 (bored now) but i hate seeng my golf at home sitting there doing nothing so i want to spend the money that ill get from the sale of my 206 onto my golf. approx 2000. before i stopped driving my golf it had an MOT (failed pretty comprehensivley) and service, new suspension all round, new tyres, new rocker cover, new exhaust new gearbox, engine mount, pretty much everyhthing bar the chassis.

me and a couple of friends pretty handy with cars, so could do alot of the work ourselves it would just be sourcing the parts needed and the tools required.

what would be the hardest part about restoring the car, fitting the engine/ gearbox etc or

all im asking is, what parts, engine etc would u recommend? i dont want a stupid looking modded to high heaven golf, i just want a decent stock lookin mark 2 gti, preferably with a mark 3 or 4 GTi engine.

or do i just go out and buy a Mark 2 GTi and do tht up to its former glory (nt tht any GTi has lost its former glory)

HELP NEEDED please.
    cheers again x

2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

hello dan

budget is the key to what engine to fit. I like 8v engines.

3. Dan the Gti Man New Member

Am startin to think the best way, less hassle, is to just by a new car all together. Prob save money in the long run

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

unless your handy with the spanners its probably easier to at least start with a GTI

is the golf a 3 door, what colour?

5. nealey Forum Junkie

Its red Alan, says in the first post!

6. Dan the Gti Man New Member

Yh its red, mint condition too. Which is why am unsure. Bt am sure I cud pick up a half decent red GTi anyway to b honest. Wht wud u recommend the 8v or 16v ?

7. nealey Forum Junkie

Dont open the 8v or 16v can of worms!!

I say get an 8v though!

8. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

if its really mint and has no rust id keep it and do all the work yourself, you can spend 4k on a mint gti and even then they can go wrong, if you build it you can fix it yourself easy aswell, they really are simple to get your head around once stripped and rebuilt once, plus this forum is amazing for getting help when you get stuck.

edit: Oh and while an 8v is ok a 16vftw will always be faster and more fun.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  9. nealey Forum Junkie

Where abouts in the midlands are you from Dan? There are a few of us around here and we have quite a good stash of parts between us all!

10. Dan the Gti Man New Member

im from stoke on trent, u heard of it?

yh thts why i kinda joined so just incase i do get stuck like. im seriously considering stripping my golf now, rebuilding it and then selling it on, just so i cn get a good feel for wht its like doing the work. nice one for the advice guys

11. Dan the Gti Man New Member

found a salvage 1997 GTi mark 3 on the net going for about 300 quid.

would this b worth aving a look at and possible reconditioning the parts or would this be silly money?

12. Dan the Gti Man New Member

i have recently started stripping my mark 2 golf 1.3 only to suffer a slight set back, on unscrewing the cam cover i broke one of the srews in half, so basically thread is still inside the engine itself, not loose but ctually fastend.

any ideas on how i cn get it out?

13. djdubplate

djdubplate Forum Member

Welcome fellow stokie :thumbup: , are you not just taking the old engine straight out anymore ?

14. Dan the Gti Man New Member

Right nw am just trying get to grasp with the whole stripping and rebuilding the car. Until I actually get the new engine which is why am kinda glad its happend now. Any ideas on how I cn get the nut out? I was thinkin redrilling it x