Newer GTI

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by tommyc, Dec 7, 2015.

1. tommyc Forum Member

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice (not sure which section this discussion should fit)...

For the past 3-4 years, my MK2 GTI 16v has been the only car in the family (neither of us need a car for work and its just 2 of us). Last month, I had a situation on the M4 where the entire motorway emergency stopped, and somehow I managed to wrestle it to a halt from 75mph without eating the 1 year old amg merc in front. It wasn't a pleasant experience, and in a very weird turn of events, the same thing happened the following day, but this time at less than 20 mph on an A road, and I didn't manage to stop it. Fortunately, there were no injuries to either party, and we drove the car away with no damage to the rigidity of the car (the bumper section sort of slid under the car in front), just busted grill, bonnet etc which the insurers are covering.

I'm in my early 30's, and soon it will be family time (although nothing imminent yet), and I have to have something a bit more modern. I am desperate to keep the MK2 (time and finances will test), but also wanted an opinion about a new GTI - budget of 5k - 10k. I'm not in an immediate rush (can wait 3 months), and have also considered leasing. I would LOVE to own the R (but I'm dreaming), looked at leasing a MK7 GTI (still dreaming), but also looking at the MK5 GTI, if I could stretch to it - the MK5 GTI edition 30?

Any experience with these vehicles - what to look for - are the mechanics as bomb proof as the early engines? Anybody been in a similar situation to me and what did you end up with? I have looked at the VRS Octavia too.

Edit - should have noted that I have read the guide in the MK5 section (its excellent).

Cheers all,

Tom

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Quite a few of the members own MK5 GTIs, from standard to modified. The Chairman also has one.

I am surprised they have not seen this and given their experiences of the vehicles.

Will put an alert up for them to see this.

tommyc likes this.
  3. ProductionGTI New Member

I think it is very difficult to beat the MK5 GTI as an all rounder. I speak form experience of owning a few of them over the years and currently using a DSG 5 door as a daily hack. As long as they usual stuff that goes wrong has been replaced ( Cam Follower. Timing Chain Tensioner etc ) they are pretty much bomb proof. If you can stretch to an Edition 30 then that would be a safe place for your money over and above a standard model, although over the past 6-12 months I think the prices on standard MK5s have started to creep up. They make an excellent family car, the interiors wear really well and they come with pretty much all you need. The only downside is the MPG..... they are not the most frugal cars to own, but trading that off against the on tap performance is worth while. I had an Edition 30 with circa 350BHP and there pretty much nothing around that could keep up with it. My money would go on an Edition 30 5 Door with DSG and NAV....:-)
    As a race car.... then there are simply stonking..... :-)

tommyc likes this.
  4. Toyotec

^^Rob, is that 350bhp on the std ED30 turbo?

5. ProductionGTI New Member

Yes, Standard K04. They are all the car you need with that kind of power :-)

6. Toyotec

Well,

I just started playing with a definition file for one of these, sounds very interesting!

Rayhoop likes this.
  7. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Mines on the original ko4 at 362hp.
    There's plenty about running stage 2+ tune with good power.

8. The ANT Forum Member

I got my 59 plate mk6 in October, so far it's still not done anything wrong. Though I paid 12000. It wasn't the cheapest but had full vw history etc. Apparently the early ones had a cam chain tensioner fault causing big bills should it fail so make sure that has been sorted or had a new engine already. (That's what I found out while looking for my mk6)

tommyc likes this.
  9. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

The Mk5 is an astounding package. I have an Edition 30 currently running stage 1 tune, but almost ready for stage 2+.

I've had 14 Mk2s, and although I still have a lot of love for them, I think the Mk5 is so much more accomplished.

And I'll be looking at 360bhp / up to 400lb ft with my stage 2+ reliably.

tommyc likes this.
  10. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I have a Mk5 GTI lightly modified and love it.

The day I bought it I did the Club GTI Bedford trackday and the day after took the kids to school in it. Its fast, comfy, safe, looks great, sounds great, cheap to insure (at 37), cheap to buy (4200). I can only imagine how much I would like an Edition 30!!!!!

:thumbup:

11. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

I bought an edition 30 in Feb 2014, I love it. Great package as standard. Since buying it, I've been doing 90miles a day commuting and have managed 2 track days this year.

There are some well documented known issues, but nothing stupidly scary if you keep on top of things.

I too was going to try to find a good standard mk5 gti, but managed to get sign off from the boss to stretch the budget to good edition 30 territory.

Mine is standard apart from an induction kit, rs4 fuel pressure valve and Mintex m1144 pads. It is plenty of fun on road and track. I'll soon be looking to tune it to stage 2+ (350ish), but one step at a time.

I'm watching Deako's build closely and am interested to hear from Eddie what he finds when working on one...

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

tommyc and Deako like this.
  12. tommyc Forum Member

Thanks guys - really useful stuff.

Looked at a few edition 30's online, trying to find a standard one with 60kish miles, DSG looks to be the one to go for, full service history (including all the bits that should have been done such as DSG oil change), and recent CAM belt change. Looks like prices for an edition 30 are staying pretty firm, and I might have to sell the MK2 to afford one, although I accept that its a nice problem to have.

Question - what would people recommend... MK5 GTI and and keep MK2 GTI, or only have the MK5 ED30?

Cheers all - I'm sure I'm not the first to have been considering this! :)

13. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Both!!!

14. GAD

gad Forum Member

The Mk5 gti is a great car
    We have one, along with a Mk2, I'd get the best you can afford spec wise - DSG, Leather, winter pack etc and keep the mk2.
    Trust me you will regret selling the mk2

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016