Nige`s Golf MK2 2.0 16V Turbo track car with Aero. www.pinderwagen.com

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Nige, May 3, 2007.

1. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

thats top work!!!! really interesting to read.

Loved the camcorder plate!!! what attention to detail!!!

2. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Right then, after Bedford I`m thinking I may need to look at this FD issue. 3rd,4th and 5th were very tall.

The car ran faultlessley at Bedford, a 1 hour session without problem, no brake fade or overheating. [​IMG] If it can manage that, it can manage anything.

Well, I say faultlessley, the exhaust split the flexi coupling AGAIN !!!! Fortunately steph pointed me in the right direction and I now have a new downpipe and exhaust that i`ll be fitting in the next week or so.

I am sourcing a second interior mirror than I can fix to the roll cage hoop, the standard one is in a terrible position when I`m filming in-car, it is just where you DONT want it to be :( Its a 5 minute job so I`ll definately do that.

I shall also be changing the front disks/pads. The disks have done Bedford 07, 250 Laps of the ring in 07, Cadwell 07 and Bedford 08. I reckon thats close to 4,000 Miles on track, 3 sets of Yellowstuff, the disks are still fine, but I will be replacing them as they have served me well and there is no point pushing it for the sake of it. The rear disks look unworn, no suprise there...

I`d be interested to go in a Golf with stiffer springs on a UK track, mine has soft ones for the ring and I`m curious how much difference I`d notice if I swapped them for stiffer ones for UK tracks, Bedford was probably the one that showed it the most as its so flat, Cadwell seemed fine.

Just things I`m thinking of anyway...

Forgot to add my thought about the 032`s. Honestly, I didnt think they were significantly better than the 888`s. Slightly grippier I`ll admit, but after all starting out the same, the wear in half a day was significant.

These are photos AFTER Bedford.

Nearside (not much wear at Bedford)
    [​IMG]

Offside, started out at same tread depth !. Look at the wear after 100 miles on track [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I`ve bought a new gearbox and am picking it up on Sunday.

I`ll be fitting it next week and should have much improved ratios. After thinking about the performance at Bedford, speaking to GVK, Ian Howell and Steph, I realised that I`d be dissapointed if I ran that this year. Rather than feeling I`d made a forward step with the cable box, I felt the car was slower at Bedford and that was backup up by video and passenger feelings.

Looks like those driveshaft bolts have to come out just 1 more time [​IMG]

O2A - 3.778=2.118=1.34=0.97=0.80= NEW 4.2 FD Current box 3.684 !

NEW Box Ratios / speed
    1st - 30mph
    2nd - 53mph
    3rd -83mph
    4th - 115mph
    5th - 140mph

CURRENT Cable box
    1st- 33mph
    2nd - 60mph
    3rd - 89mph
    4th - 124mph
    5th - 152mph

OLD Rod change box
    1st - 38mph
    2nd - 62 mph
    3rd - 91 mph
    4th - 117mph
    5th - 145 mph

The last few evenings I`ve been swapping over the Gearbox to the new lower ratio one. I decided that I`d do the job over the Pit to make removing the driveshaft bolts etc easier.Unfortunately, as the garage isnt finished, this mean I had to put a tarpaulin over the top and work under that. It was also cold...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But with some light I could work until 10pm.
    [​IMG]

Because I`d really struggled before, I decided to out the engine out and swap the gearbox that way, with 2 people, its easy to swap with the engine in place, but to be honest, its not a massive amount of extra work to lift the engine out and swapping the box then become a matter of a few bolts.

Drained the coolant, then disconnected and lifted out the front panel, leaving radiator / oil cooler attached.
    [​IMG]

Took the weight of the engine and removed the front crossmember, I also removed the dreaded driveshaft bolts
    [​IMG]

It was then simply a matter of unplugging / disconnecting everything and lifting out the engine. Next was to remove the old gearbox, when was dead easy, it just lifted straight out.

Now I hit a problem. The shifter mechanism on the new box was different to the one I`d just removed, the cables I had wouldnt fit the new tower [​IMG]
    On the old box, there is a bit of black plastic where the cable clips to the mechanism
    [​IMG]

On the new box, there is no such bit of plastic and it wouldnt just swap over (I tried)
    [​IMG]

I`ve heard stories of bits dropping into the insides of gearboxes when you remove some parts, so I rang Steph to ask if I would be ok, `aye mate, ney bother, just lift it out, nice and careful, dont bash it..`. So I put the gears into neutral, removed the 2 bolts and lifted out the mechanism
    [​IMG]

Did the same on the new box, put them side by side and noticed they were different.
    [​IMG]

Arrgghhh.[​IMG] Rang steph, but his phone died and he was on the train, so rang GVK for advice. I thought I could remove the `cup` from the bottom of the box, but just wanted to check, Gary had never done it, but thought it would be OK.

Tipped the gearbox onto its side and removed the locator from the bottom
    [​IMG]

Both shifter mechanisms and locator plates
    [​IMG]

Then simply apply some instant gasket and refit to the new box
    [​IMG]

Took the opportunity to wrap and fit the new downpipe steph had kindly supplied.
    [​IMG]

The new downpipe had a built in `flexi` coupling, so hopefully no more cracked downpipes !!
    [​IMG]

Gearbox slotted into place on the first attempt, took about 20 seconds to slide into place, rather than the 30mins + plus of struggling the last time. Lowered engine into place and secured the gearbox mount and rear engine mount
    [​IMG]

I`ll just made sure this lines up..... OW, that hurt....
    [​IMG]

Refitted all the wires and pipes, Louise operated the gears and each one seemed to engage properly, I then refitted the front crossmember and engine mount. Reconnecting all the pipes/wires is much easier without the radiator in the way [​IMG]

Filled with antifreeze, then left it for the night. Started again this morning, just had to fit the new exhaust (I say new, its second hand, but much better condition that my old one). I bit of adjustment and it went into place. I needed to make a new rear mount bracket as the clip on the exhaust was in a different place
    [​IMG]

The new system sits much nicer into place, its also significantly quieter too [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took the car for a very short test drive, all gears engage and it is definately lower geared now [​IMG] So low that it wheelspins in the dry in 2nd..

I am going to fit new front disks, new Yellowstuff front pads, swap the windscreen, get it MOT`d then its ready for Germany [​IMG] That is unless something breaks at the drivertraining next week, but i`m confident and anyway, thats what shakedowns are for. If I hadnt driven Bedford, I`d never have thought about the gear ratios....

Matthew came home and asked if we could go for a drive, I said I needed to fit the road tyres and changes the breaks. Deciding it would be sensible to do it today rather than next week, we swapped the front disks/pads and 4 wheels in (easily) under 40 minutes.

Removed the old disks and pads, you can see the new/old side by side. The old pads were worn out ! The disks will be my spares that I keep in Germany, just in case I crack a new one or something.
    [​IMG]

New pads with 14mm of tread. I measured them so I can see how much wear I get between checks.
    [​IMG]

New disk/pad went on without a single issue.
    [​IMG]

I`d noticed at Bedford that the drivers side outer CV boot was loosing grease, but hadnt split
    [​IMG]

The metal `clip` that goes round the outside needed tightening a little. Its fine now, I just need to clean off the old grease.
    [​IMG]

Went for a test drive with Mat, its much better, just what I was expecting. limiter in 3rd is indicated 84, which is 13mph less than the old box, it pulls MUCH better in 3rd now. SUCCESS [​IMG]

3. 12valver Forum Member

Good work, looks to be coming together. Will no doubt see you at the 'ring this year

4. seanlazyass Forum Member

Excellent thread mate.

I like your style of spannering, and you've got some dedicated helpers there! You do know when he's old enough for his own car you'll be repaying him!

Kept meaning to mention the boxing in of the cage plates, good to see you got round to it.

Sean

Ps. you can see how your welding has gradually improved :thumbup:

5. challice Forum Member

awsome thread...car looks fully equipped you can see the hard work thats gone into it...nice one:clap:

6. vegabass Forum Member

Great work Nige, can't want to bag a passenger lap in this in late July. ;)

Neil

7. Nige

You know you are very welcome to jump in :thumbup:

8. perryqhill Forum Member

Excellent stuff, just read through since the last time I posted in it :thumbup:

9. Nige

Went to fill up with fuel and the footwell started filling with water
    [​IMG]

The dreaded leaking heater matrix [:x]

I can manage by either leaving it on cold, or putting it on hot for 2 mins to warm up, with a towel underneath, but it needs replacing at some stage, which is a pain. No time to do it before the car goes out to Germany at Easter, if it gets worse, I can just bypass the heater, in summer it wont matter, but it could be chilly at Easter [:s]

I`m now looking round for a 2nd hand, non-leaking Matrix

10. steve r

steve r Forum Member

I wouldn't bother with a second hand one, it will only leak again. Try GSF for a Mk3 golf one instead. Changing the matrix isn't too hard, especially as you already have all the lower dash out. You could have it done in 2hrs max.

Great car, any chance of a pax lap when i'm out for the cgti trip?

11. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Golf 3 heater matrix from gsf

17832B HEATER MATRIX G3 11/91 >2/99 36.50 + vat

12. Nige

A little post Easter update.

Bought new heater matrix, but didnt get chance to fit it. I`ll do that in the summer.

The car performed really well,only a few issues. The new gearbox ratios are fabulous. I`m getting 6500rpm (130mph) at the SX crest when I`ve had a good exit from FP. Thats just about perfect and I`m really pleased I swapped it. The other one would have been useless and annoyed me.

Ran fine on Parada Spec2`s in the cold
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Found this wire had broken, the car appeared to be running fine, but I resoldered it anyway.
    [​IMG]

Emptied the oil-catch bottle. This is after 70 laps of the ring, so I dont think thats too excessive at all, definitely better than it all going back into the engine though !
    [​IMG]

I even re-blacked the bumpers and trim.. Took 25 minutes, but it looks much better IMO.
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

Had to stop my last lap early as something didnt feel right. I think the front wheel bearings are in need of replacement... Initially I thought it was the CV Joint but I am now pretty sure its the wheel bearings.
    [​IMG]wheel bearing

The garage who fitted the new wheel bearings also had to replace the hubs. They said they had become damaged when running with the very worn bearings. To be honest, the price was not excessive and it they needed changing, so be it. It is still cheap motoring, so I`m not too upset.
    [​IMG]

I did have some ongoing issues with the exhaust rubbers burning through. . Bought 2 new ones, back to the campsite and fitted them. To get more clearance, I used the trailer as a way of getting the car off the ground and me underneath it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Temp fix, I later bought new rubbers and fitted those. I`ll just take some more rubbers with me and treat them as a consumable from now on.
    [​IMG]

Checked the front brake pads. I`d fitted new EBC Yellowstuff before going and after 80+ Laps, there is still 70% of the friction material left !, admittedly there have been some wet laps, but over 60 have been in the dry on 888`s.

After last Easter, it was a great success, car still in one piece and running reliably. Roll on July when it should be dry...

13. judderi Forum Member

Nige, it might be worth trying some polly urethane exhausts mounts. Might stand up to the heat better.

14. Nige

I`d forgotten to update this thread.. whoops.

Thought I`d get this up to date... Most is a copy from my summer trip report but it is pretty much up to date now.

Fitted a couple of spring clips to the inside of the boot to keep my yellow flag in place, ready for quick retrieval if needed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moved the oil cooler to the `summer` position. If I run it there in winter, it is too efficient, its a 19-row cooler and works too well, hence the `behind the bumper winter position` or quick inversion and the into full summer cooling mode .The temps never went over 104 the entire weekend after several back to back laps in scorching weather.
    [​IMG]

A larger rubber was fitted to try and stop the standard ones burning through
    [​IMG]

Replaced a split CV boot
    [​IMG]

The track rod ends had lasted 18 months...
    [​IMG]

The exhaust rubbers were still causing issues, so we modified the position of the existing ones slightly
    [​IMG]

Had an ARB Rubber `fall out`!. Literally, it just vanished !
    [​IMG]
    Fitted 2 new ones to be safe (mid install in this pic)
    [​IMG]

Saw these window vents on Steve_r`s Golf over the summer. I ordered 2 and they arrived yesterday. I`m hoping they will improve air flow through the cabin.
    [​IMG]

I had a wheel bearing failure, so fitted a new one, but the noise was still there. After changing the CV joint and the noise not going, I decided the new wheel bearing HAD to be faulty. Removed the Hub and sure enough, the new bearing was broken after 10 miles [:s]
    [​IMG]
    New one fitted and no more issues :thumb:

The exhaust broke AGAIN !!.. This time it was an easy fix. The pipe coming out of the rear silencer had cracked the weld.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quickly into the air and 10 minutes later welded and on my way :thumb: .

[​IMG]

The exhaust now has SEVEN hangers / rubbers. It is free to move but supported evenly along its length, it is quite a heavy system and I think thats the problem, there is quite a lot of mass moving around once it starts bouncing in the Karussel.

I have a cunning plan that I will be implementing in the next few weeks to hopefully fix it once and for all. Watch this space !

My tyres were worn out, which was just as I`d hoped, maximum use before throwing them away.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fitted 4 new 888`s and immediately noticed an improvement in grip, after about 4 laps of the ring it started to tail off and after 6 laps, the grip was the same as the well worn 888`s (in my opinion). I was actually pleased with that, I know I can run them to the canvas in the dry and still get loads of grip :thumbup:

Whilst on a lap of the ring.I couldn`t engage gear ! Coasted back in 4th but couldn`t see anything obvious. It turned out that the gear selection cable had `kinked` and once it had done this the cable would just bend instead of engaging gear. Frustrating and we spent most of Tuesday trying to source a replacement.
    [​IMG]

Bought/fitted a replacement and everything was fine again :thumb:

The clutch cable was sticking (so I thought), so I oiled it, but occasionally, the clutch would not release smoothly...
    On my 2nd lap of the evening, the clutch pedal would not release, returned to the carpark and had a look. The cable was fine and I thought the new release bearing was the culprit..
    Gearbox removed in 1.5 hours thumb.gif and the problem was immediately obvious.

[​IMG]

The NEW SACHS release bearing had only lasted 3 weeks [:x]

New clutch arrived and I fitted it in under 2 hours. I was really pleased how well it went.

Replaced the EBC yellowstuff pads 3 times (I am getting around 1500 track miles per set)

The Golf was then trouble free for the rest of the Holiday :thumbup:

i`ve done over 4,600 track miles this year and looking at the issues I`ve had, I`m pleased with how reliable it has been. I always expected to have to do repairs and thats one of the reasons I bought a Golf, parts are plentiful and cheap !

I am going to be giving it a full service tomorrow and also some pre-emptive maintenance to change some parts BEFORE they fail. I`m starting to build up some history with the car and learning how long things are lasting.

I have a few things (apart from the servicing) that I`d like to look at. The first is the exhaust mounts, I have what I believe will be a permanent solution, but I need to try and draw a sketch first, its hard to explain.

Secondly, and easier is to fabricate some sort of `cage` to raise the gear shifter so it falls easier to hand. It`s not hard as it is, but I have seen a couple of examples of installations that have given me some good ideas to work from.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From a thread on here that GVK started a few years ago..
    [​IMG]

I will also be lowering the seat mechanisms to drop the drivers and passenger seats.

They are OK at the moment, but having sat in other cars where the seats are even lower, I think it is something I want to try and do to mind over the winter, I`ve read Chris`s guide, so will be doing something similar.

I have been adjusting the ride height and suspension dampening over the summer. I am running pretty soft springs, but now I`ve lowered it a bit more, I am really pleased with the handling, damping is about halfway between mdeium and hard on the rear and 2/3 between med and hard on the front. The car is very progresive and give me loads of confidence, when it does start to let go, it does it with loads of warning and is really communicative, I`m very very pleased.

to round up, a few photos of me on track this year ;)

Airborne !
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On track @ Spa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On Track at Hockenheim
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

good stuff Nige, glad you managed to keep the car going while over there. Your not going to be out there the first w/e of october are you??

16. 12valver Forum Member

Nice write up. Good to see things went well and considering the miles done, there were few problems. Enjoyed my passenger laps in the Mk2 on the CGTi ring trip this year. Thanks again.

17. VWralley Forum Member

wow you must log some serious hours on the track! great lookin ride man

18. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

I [l] your car! No doubt you'll be there when I go back next year, look forward to seeing it again [:D]

19. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

followed this from the begining. truely inspiring! lol

20. Nige

I`d already seen your idea and have something similar I`ll be implementing :thumbup: