Nikon D3000 SLR

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by Dan W, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

I'm looking at getting a camera soon, something in the 300 - 400 price range and have seen a few offers on the nikon D3000. For around 350 you get loads of other gear with it too, anyone know cameras that can tell me if it's any good or recommend something else?

Cheers all:thumbup:

2. Phat Ass Forum Member

I'd personally go Canon, used everything from the 450 to the 1Ds3 and never been let down. Have a look at the 500 or 550D. Some people prefer nikon, but i've found canon lenses tend to be better quality, and those are the bits that you'll keep for years while you upgrade the body.

Thats not saying that the bodies arent good on canons, far from it. But i prefer the feel and operation of the canon to the nikons i've seen.

Just my experience, upgraded to a 7D last week, expecting the Canon/Nikon user war begins in 3...2...1... :)

3. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Dead right! ;)

Nikon all the way for me.

I'm not too sure of the spec of the D3000, but had the D70 and now have the D300, which I'm more than happy with.

I can't really compare them with Canons, as I've only had film Canons and a little digital Ixus. But I don't think you will go wrong with either brand, really.

4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I have a Canon 450D, and I have to concur that it `feels` much better than the equivalent Nikon D40(?) that a friend of mine had.

He dropped his, and has recently replaced it with a Canon 550D...

5. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

I had a Canon 400D and then bought the 40D. I love it - Can't fault it - takes beautiful photos.

The lenses are very good with the canon, especially if you get yourself some L Series lenses! :p

6. stella

stella Forum Junkie

But aren't mortgages hard to get these days? ;)

7. 1550samn Forum Member

:lol: or sell a few body parts.......

seriously imo canon ftw chap. had a 400d and a 5d and played with various nikons but have not felt as comfortable using them.... you have to hold the camera and test the D3000 aswell as the canon equvilent to get a idea of what is right for you....

8. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Agree - go into somewhere like Jessops or Jacobs and have a go with a few that meet your criteria.

Also have a look for reviews on sites like DP Review for technical details.

Let us know what you decide on. And don't forget to enter the photo comps :)

9. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

True - but I am about to buy one shortly...:thumbup:

10. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

Dex who is well into his cameras once sent me this:

Panasonic Lumix FZ38 as a suggestion?? Can then have change for lenses etc.

11. blighty Forum Member

im a canon lover myself :)
    I had a fuji s9600 (9mp bridge camera) and it does limit some things, long exposures longer than 30 seconds is one example. Depends what you'd be using it for.

12. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

I went into my local camera shop today and had a look at both the canon eos 450d and the nikon d3000, had to say I was more impressed by the 'feel' of the Nikon, a more solid and heavier camera with a larger screen and a slightly higher spec all round. The guy in the photo shop said pretty much the same as a few of you have on here, it's down to personal preferences as they're both very similar, on Ebay at the moment you can get them both with a lot of extra stuff for around 350-380 mark, which seems a good deal. I will probably go with the Nikon although still not fully decided, I'll let you know what I get. Thanks for the advise all!

13. 1550samn Forum Member

just on the ebay thing.... make sure you get it from a reputible daeler as gray imports can mean viod warrentees and then if its broke no one will take it!!

14. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Thanks for the heads up :thumbup:

15. Phat Ass Forum Member

In fairness to the 450D against the D3000, its not a very fair comparison spec wise as the nikon didnt come out until 6 months after the 450D had ceased production at the end of 2008.

Might seem a petty point but I hate comparing new things against an outdated competing model. Did they guy in the store reccomend you the 450?

16. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

I didn't realise the canon was an older model, the only reason I compared the two is because they're priced the same, the guy in the store didn't recommend either really other than pointing out a couple of small advantages with the Nikon

17. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Im a Canon man. I love the build quality and feel of them + the lens are awesome.

The 450d is a older model. I would look at the 550D, a lot of magazines are describing it as a mini 7D. You need to look closely at the specs to give the full picture. Also depends on what you want to use it for. Some cameras are better for landscapes and some for portraits etc. There are a lot of magazines out there which have done extensive reviews on these cameras and give you a comprehensive guide.

18. Phat Ass Forum Member

Theres a reasonable chance they're pushing nikons for a sales target, or they're aiming to get rid of the 450's in stock given its 2 models behind. As good a camera as it is, i'd not be happy about being sold one if i wasnt told it was out dated already.

Perhaps i'm pesimistic after seeing done (not by me i might add) from the retailers side. I understand they want rid of old stock, but its not fair on the customer imo.

19. cliveyp Forum Member

I'm a Canon man myself, currently using a 400d (although tempted to head to a used 40d at the moment). I just prefered it when holding them both, although i do now find the 400d body quite small, all be it far from uncomfortable.

At the end of the day, try holding both, as thats where the main differences come in. Buy what you can afford and what suits you.