Nitrogen tyre inflating

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by lairy_1, Jan 5, 2007.

1. lairy_1

lairy_1 CGTI Regional Host

Has anyone heard of this? In a tyre place yesterday they were advertising it.

It said that it reduces fuel consumption, and makes your car handle better.

Surely this can't make any difference?!

The only thing I can think of is that it is 'denser' than air. i.e. doesn't compress as easy, so is harder, and the tyre rolls less, which isn't always good, as I thought tyres were designed to roll and twist slightly for better handling (scrub ratio or something like that????).

Is it worth having this done when having new tyres fitted? I didn't ask them how much it is, as it sounds like a scam to me! They also mention on the posters and leaflets that all of the top F1 teams use it.

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Have a search on Helium and Nitrogen in the forum and a few threads will pop up. It has been discussed on the odd occasion, usually in the context of racing, and keeping pressures more constant.

Never heard of it on the high street though.

< takes cover, cringeing and seeing tyre companies bigging this new idea up for years to come, with the premium price that'll be charged for it. What was wrong with free air? >

3. lairy_1

Thanks Chris.

I will have a look at previous posts, and might find out how much it is for a laugh!

Does the helium option make your wheelspins and skids sound higher pitched?! :lol: (Sorry!)

Matt.

4. Unknown Forum Junkie

tyre companies are one thing, we may also have the joy of including 'Nitrogen filled tyres' in a list of things like Ecotec or 'electric superchager fan thing' in chav car adverts, like its a real performance booster. Do you have to go back to the garage to have them checked and maybe topped up?

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yep, you'll have to.

Yet another cunning marketing strategy, straight out of the book written by printer salesmen. You buy the printer, and then you get ripped off over the replacement cartridges. Except this one is fuelled by guilt if you want to keep topped up with nitrogen.

When will 'the people' say "no, get lost" to being caught in marketing traps like this?

6. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

This is what helium does to your VW.:lol:

[​IMG]

7. vwd40 Forum Member

I run my tyres with Nitrogen. The only reason it's used is to keep tyre pressures constant when they get hot. It does this as it's an innert gas.

Nice n easy for me as I have my own cylinder in the garage for it ;)

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

But let's face it, Joe Public has got on just fine for the last 100 yrs.

9. mk1. Forum Junkie

theres a tyre bay close to me thats been doing for a while also,think it was summit like 12-15 iirc:)

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yep, a rip off. It's the sequel to coffee shops. Would the mugs please form a queue. Thanks.

11. chopperoli Forum Member

Isn't air almost 80% nitrogen anyways? What's the point except for F1 where every last bit counts

12. jamesa Forum Junkie

Also available in the Sunbury / Shepperton area, a colleague in work had it done then asked me what it was all about ! Not sure how much he paid but don`t think it was 15.

My understanding is as per vwboff.

I`ll stick with my footpump thanks.

Talking about free air, more and more garages are charging for it along with WATER !!

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Exactly.

Next week's ruse: you pay for air you breathe.

14. turbotommy Forum Member

Its aimed at bikes really
    Nitrogen doesn't expand with heat keeping them constant instead of increasing 3/4 psi so you can be more accurate
    Not much use in a car tbh unless your really serious about trackdays/racing etc... plus you can only let your tyres down not up
    I can't see it not reacting to amospheric pressure (the hight increases tyre psi) so its no good for the ring if your driving/riding there either
    waste of money? YES!

15. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Hmmm. does'nt expand when hot...?
    does is heat when compressed?

{ignorence mode on}
    how?

16. fthaimike Forum Addict

17. paul_c Forum Member

I'm dying to hear your explanation of this!!!!!

18. lairy_1

Well - I got a bit bored half way through that one - but at least it answered my question!

Another marketing scam. There are huge A0 size posters in the tyre shop. Wonder how much of it they sell?

Matt.

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Spread the word that it's a total gimmick, and that can only help kill the scam

20. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

well its the "dry" bit which I can understand, but actual moisture content from a dry airline vs N2....

smoke & mirrors... hence asking about the science bit... (thought I might have missed something-apparently not it seems)