No one wants my golf!!

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by CoRnBuRn, Apr 30, 2004.

1. CoRnBuRn Forum Member

I'm having to get rid of the golf but having trouble. Anyone any ideas why? Mk3 16V 3dr Dragon Green, 83000 miles, really nice looking - above average condition. Bilstein suspension, clifford full closure, 5 mnths tax, 11 mnths MOT.

MODS - THIS IS NOT AN ADVERT - JUST ASKING FOR ADVICE [:D]

Spent 100 on the autotrader so far and no one seems bothered. Put it in at 3800 to start with but knocked it down to 3495 the last 2 weeks it was in. Looked in todays and the prices are all over the place, a 5 door 8 valve for 4000 and a 3dr 16v for 2100.
    I'm getting tired of wasting money on adverts so if anyone has an idea why no one wants it let me know!!! Bad time of year or am I asking too much? The what car? value thingy has it as 3,422 standard private sale.

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]
    Edited by: CoRnBuRn

2. russmw Forum Member

I had exactly the same problem. As the prices are all over the place it just makes the car looked over priced to joe bloggs who wants a golf. I saw a 60k M plater last week for 1600 with FSH?!?! In the end I had a resonable offer from a trader via email after putting it on ebay who just turned up and took the car (paid obviously) no test drive nothing!

I then brought a vauxhall and it fecked up within hours of buying it - see other thread.

3. CoRnBuRn Forum Member

I'd thought about eBay but wanted to just put an advert up for anyone to look at it and wouldn't fancy putting it through an actual auction but not sure how eBay feel about those "DO NOT BID" items, don't want to lose my feedback [:D]. The 16v i saw for 2100 was FVWSH , 90000, full MOT and was that well nice dark purple. Wasn't like this when I was looking for one in August, I struggled to find a nice 16v for around 3 grand then! Someone offered me 2600 walking past the other day but that's too much of a loss.

4. Higgim Forum Member

Take it to International. I reckon you will get plenty of interest there (as well as a few tyre kickers) but if its in good condition and is properly priced (which I think it is) it should shine above most of what anyone else has seen. Plus there will be a few non Golf owners there who go all starry eyed and all they want is a Golf :lol:

5. dooosuk Forum Member

Place adds on the forums.

Here has a classifieds section (see top)
    No-rice
    PVW
    Edition38
    all have free classifieds sections too.

Also places like AdTrader and FindIt.

Good luck

6. S700SSY Forum Member

CoRnBuRn,

You should put it on e-bay - you hit a massive market.

List it as being advertised elsewhere - so you reserve the right to end the auction early.

You can end the auction whenever you like through e-bay by filling out an online form saying the car is no longer available. Personally I don't think the auction is the right way to sell it - but the market you hit is massive. Just hope for someone who sees it and e-mails you to buy it outwith the auction.

It's cheap and no hassle.

I listed my motorbike last month on e-bay. Within 10 minutes of listing it I had an e-mail from a guy who lived 10 miles away who came round the next day and paid me the price I wanted.

I use e-bay all the time. If you want to discuss just PM me.

S700SSY [:D]

7. CoRnBuRn Forum Member

Thanks guys, what a response! Loads of good ideas there. Will try that adtrader and findit, get it up on eBay too once i've got some good photos and make sure i remember to pull it off before someone buys it for 50 quid! If i've still got it next weekend after that then that's an excuse in itself to do the trip to International [:D] Sounds like a plan - if i've still got it after all that i'll just leave it outside with the keys in.

Cheers!

Adam

8. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

9. MK2. Forum Member

What year is the car?

10. CoRnBuRn Forum Member

Forgot about that!! N reg 96

11. MK2. Forum Member

I would say the going rate is closer to 3k to be honest

12. Dave J Forum Member

Depends where you are in the country as well. Down 'ere (plymouth) I have seen N platers on dealer forecourts for 3995...so to me that seems like a good car for the price.

13. MK2. Forum Member

True, im in yorkshire and looked round at loads around the end of January and that was the going rate, my mate got his dragon green 97 R with 77k and aircon for 2750

14. road rally Forum Member

The dealers will have a hefty slice of profit and room for negotiation in their 3995 screen price though.

On a private sale, I think perhaps you've got it up at a bit too much money TBH. How does your advert read? Are you pushing it enough?

15. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

P/Xed my 1997 3 door Mk3 GTi 16V with same mileage (83k), with decent ICE and an e/s/r for 2500!!! Had a few scratches but nothing bad.
    Hurt a bit.
    Cost me 7250 with 42k miles three years before when I got it.
    1600 a year deprectiation. [xx(] [8(]

16. CoRnBuRn Forum Member

Oh dear, looks like I might have to be prepared to lose more than I thought on it then [:^(] Will see how eBay goes. Advert reads near enough the same as how I described it in the first post, not got that many words to play with in the autotrader. Also same photo.

Just put a couple of notes in the back windows with the same thing on too - on a main road so see if that gets anywhere. I'm in stafford, near birmingham so there's probably quite a lot of competition from there.

17. MrBen Forum Junkie

Why are you selling it?The prices of Mk3's seem to be in freefall at the mo, and there's loads for sale, so unless it's really REALLY good, why would anyone pay over the going rate?

18. CoRnBuRn Forum Member

Yeah, i bought one at the wrong time i reckon. Maybe a good time to get rid. GF's learning to drive and can't afford to insure and run two cars (and probably not the best car to learn to drive in either!). So swapping golf GTI for mini cooper :lol: . At least will still be able to have fun on the bends tho and reckon a nice mk4's on the list when a new job turns up.

19. Mike20VT New Member

Ok, so yours is a 96 N Mk3 16V 3dr Dragon Green, 83000 miles, really nice looking - above average condition. Bilstein suspension, clifford full closure, 5 mnths tax, 11 mnths MOT

Ok, I sold my 95 N, 16v, green, Koni's Miltek, 63k, immaculate, 6 months tax & 12 months MOT, 3 owners, for 3700. I was actually offered that as a trade in from a dealer in Manchester against an S plate mk4 turbo. I was picking it up on the Friday but sold my Mk3 on the Wednesday from a guy from London (he flew up to Aberdeen for it!) for the 3700 I was offered. Was no better off, but was also no worse off!

So, 6 months down the line, I guess at the very most you are looking at 3200... ok, so yours is newer, but has 20k more miles, and 6 months down the line you are trying to sell a car that was as many years old as mine was and the market is flooded with them.

Hold out and you MAY get more, otherwise you may just keep paying for ads. Advertise for free on every forum you can!! ;)

Stick with ebay - my VR6 is on there at the moment. Set a reserve, and if it gets more than that and it sells off there you only pay 0.5%... if you get 3200 that only costs 16, plus the cost of the listing (<10)... I'd rather sell that way with the back up of an ebay "contract" to be behind you... ;)

get it on ebay for sure!!!!

20. superden Forum Addict

According to a mate of mine in the trade, Dragon Green is the hardest colour to sell on ...