No Power To Fuel Pump

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by stumpy1976, Feb 6, 2010.

1. stumpy1976

stumpy1976 Forum Member

Hi All

Driving my car the other day and after putting the car in 5th at 50mph for a bit of dual carriageway cruising the car started to judder for a second or 3, then the engine cut out.

Managed to pull it over to a lay by, then just wouldn't restart. As I was pulling over I could hear a clicking noise coming from the fuse box / lower dash area. I have looked on t'internet to see if this was a problem for others and came to a hopeful conclusion the relay 167 had given up... So off to GSF to replace said relay but nothing...

..back to GSF and after speaking to 2 knowledgeable gents who both have run MK2 GTi's... I purchased the 2 fuel pumps... I have fitted the one in the tank...tested the power with a multimeter coming into the fuel tank pump and I get power.

So before replacing the one underneath the car, I decided to test the plug going into the fuel pump and NOTHING...no power... Checked the fuses and ALL fuses are fully functional...

...Any ideas people???

I have a MK2 1.8 PB Digifant 1991 GTi.

2. stevesellars Forum Member

i had the same problem it turned out to be my alarm had a fuel cut off, what it does the alarm box is connected to the fuel pumps power supplie via the fuse box it kept arming and cutting the pump out

3. stumpy1976

stumpy1976 Forum Member

But one pump has power... are they on the same relay etc???

4. stevesellars Forum Member

have you run the wire back to the fuse box, the pump that went on mine was the one in the boot had to trace the wire back

5. stumpy1976

stumpy1976 Forum Member

gonna have a look at it tomorrow... gonna take a while to trace it back... will it go into the fusebox then?

6. stevesellars Forum Member

yeah its easy to just record the wire colour first as its a mess in the fuse box

7. Supercharged Forum Member

Yeah - VW's generally don't have wiring issues so I would suspect a poorly fitted alarm - look for inline fuses / connectors etc.

8. stumpy1976

stumpy1976 Forum Member

I have no alarm but I do have immoboliser but that cuts the whole power off and seems to be working fine...

9. whitemk2 Forum Member

i had almost the same problem with my mk2. it turned out i had no power going to the in tank pump, a break in the wire somewhere. i just fed a new wire going to the pump straight from the fusebox.
    when you tested the power supply was the ignition on or off?

10. stumpy1976

stumpy1976 Forum Member

Ignition was on, I'm getting a reading in the tank pump but nothing from the one under the car. Gonna have to trace it back to the fusebox and see if that solves anything?

11. stumpy1976

stumpy1976 Forum Member

I have used a multimeter on the wires in the boot....

connecting the meter on the purple wire and any of the other 3 wires on this plug give me 12v...ish
    [​IMG]

But connecting the meter to this plug... I get nowt...and its this plug that supplies the 2nd fuel pump under the car...
    [​IMG]

What is the purple wire??? this does not spur into the 2nd pump...

12. stumpy1976

stumpy1976 Forum Member

Just read a post from RubJohnny which reads...

last of all fuel pump:
    red/yel - pump power
    violet/black - fuel level sensor
    brown - pump earth
    brown/blue - level sensor earth

which is why I was getting power from purple(violet) wire...

...If Im getting power from purple wire but none from "red/yel - pump power" and I've switched the relay for a new one... any ideas?

13. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

You should have +12v between yellow/red and ground (brown) on both pumps at the same time, the tank lift pump and under tank pump are directly wired in parallel. The purple wire is fuel tank level sender so ignore that. might be worth using a fused fly lead from the + battery and seeing if the pumps run when connecting up to the red yellow wire. Whilst you've got that lead in place test for voltage between there and the brown wires and look for 12v or test on Ohms range between the brown wires and the chassis the lower reading the better idealy less than 1ohm if you have a good contact/leads etc.

14. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Forget the purple wire, if you've got nothing on the red yellow wire and the relay is energised when you are cranking then you need to be looking at the relay or the fusebox. If the relay is not picking then you need to be looking at why......

15. stumpy1976

stumpy1976 Forum Member

Thanks for the info Vento Mike but some of what you said went flying over me head....

Not massively informed on how a relay works entirely and having swapped it for a new one, was hoping this would solve the issue...but car is turning over but not firing... cannot hear the pump priming before ignition either...which is why I got the meter out in the pumps.

whats the best way of testing fusebox or relay or both?

16. stumpy1976

stumpy1976 Forum Member

Anyone think my problem maybe an ECU issue???

I've got a spare fuse box and set of relays from a 16v I am breaking... is swapping the fuse box as simple as unplug and re plug???

This is bugging the crap out of me now!!!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  17. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you dont get 12v to either of the red/yel wires at the lift pump or under car pump, you have a blown fuse, relay or broken wire. check the fuse 1st!
    also have a look at the wiring in the engine bay. the fuel pump relay also powers the injector rail, so if a wire there has snapped and shorted out it weould have blown the fuel pump fuse. the juddering sounds exactly like what I had on my MK2 when the power wire to the injector rail snapped!

18. stumpy1976

stumpy1976 Forum Member

Thanks RJ... Checked the fuse 1stly and that's all good... If the fuel rail one is broke...will that break the whole circuit???

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

I haven't read all the other posts too carefully, just skimmed them, but have you done the obvious thing and tried bridging across the two thick terminals of the fuel pump relay? Also check that you've got power to one of the big terminals on the relay (I think it's the left hand one) when the ignition is on.

20. stumpy1976

stumpy1976 Forum Member

Mike...I'm a bit of a nube when it comes to electrics..

when you say bridging across the relay...with what...multimeter or 12v power supply?

As for checking the power to the relay...I guess its a case of turning ignition on and sticking multimeter in to see if I get a reading???

Sorry for dumb questions but my brain is scrambled from having the car in pieces and not running!!! LOL