no reversing light?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Jez, Oct 27, 2003.

1. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

After manouvering my car in the drive this evening I happen to notice the reversing lights have given up :(

I've checked the obvious like the bulbs, fuse and connector for rear wiring loom at the back of the fuse box. All seem ok. Tried shorting the two wires coming from the reverse gear switch on the gearbox and still no joy.

Checking the voltage from the two switch wires and I'm lucky if i can get near a volt.

Does anyone know the correct voltage for these wires?

I have just fitted a fuse box from a scrap car due to inoperative horn, which is now sorted [:^:] (thanks to jettaman for that one:thumbup:) I realise this may be at fault, but wondered if anyone else has had such experiences?

Cheers in advance :)

2. Rustynuts Forum Member

Check the earth strap, don't know where it goes mind. Jettaman should know i would have thought. :)

3. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

I will have a look at the earths etc. Will also refit my old fuse box to be sure the problem isn't at that end.

The two wires going to the reverse gear switch look a lil old, so might cut them back to the loom and replace with new.

Just as a matter of course I took the switch out to check it wasn't stuck etc and appears to work ok.

All fun and now gotta do it in the dark [:^(]

4. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

By jove I think he's done it :p

Cleaned out my old fuse box, refitted it and both horn and reversing lights work again [:^:]

5. Dave J Forum Member

Does anyone know where the reverse light switch is on a MK2 16v Golf? My reverse lights aren't working and is a pain in the arse.

6. john_wintle Forum Member

Reversing light switch is on the gearbox.

Voltage should be 12v

John

7. mbrain New Member

My reverse lights on my mk4 have packed up, it's not the bulbs. Any ideas? Is there a fuse for them?