Nodiz or Omex mappable ignition kit? Advice please.

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by RossT-Mk2, Aug 26, 2015.

1. RossT-Mk2 New Member

Hi guys. After a bit of advice regarding mappable igntion kits for vw 16v engines. I currently have an abf running on bike carbs with mildly ported head and 4 branch with a 2.5" exhaust system.
    Along with this I'm using a H&H igntion kit eg dizzy and cool but i dont find it overly great. With that in mind I want to upgrade to something better ignition wise.
    I've looked at ones units and the nodiz kits. Can anyone give me their experiences of either unit?

I'm currently leaning towards the nodiz as its half the price of the omex kit. I'm staying with carbs for the foreseeable future so basically only want ignition control.

If anyone has experience with either your feedback is welcomed. I want to spend my money in the right places and not have to buy twice.
    I look forward to your feedback.

Ross

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

OMEX systems are pretty straightforward and you can upgrade them to be a full engine controller in the future.
    The other product you mentioned I am not familiar with but do not see an issue with it from the what is advertised.

All do the same thing, pending the fuel mixture strength of the carbs :thumbup:

3. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Ross

Sales pitch warning! [:D]

I own DTA, and we have an ignition only system as well, the DTA S40I. I can even ship it with a base map for an ABF. These are 350 + VAT.
    We can also do wiring looms if you need one.

If you need any further information, let me know.

Alex

4. RossT-Mk2 New Member

Cheers for the responses. Yeah I know the omex setup would be beneficial if I was to move onto throttle bodies at a later date but I think it a going to be a couple of years before I get to that stage. My budget has tightened slightly due to buying some other nice items recently hence why the Nodiz kit seems spot on. Thanks for your feed back Toyotec.

Alex, that setup sounds very reasonable money wise. Can you give me any more details on the kit? I'm looking to run whatever ignition setup I get with either a tps or a coolant sensor. Or could I just run it without either and still have a very usable system? All in all I want something that will do its job well without being over complicated but have options of playing with the mapping etc. Anything will be an improvement over my current dizzy coil setup. Thanks

5. Toyotec

No problem.

Alex's solution sounds even better than the OMEX ECU.

6. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

No problem.

The S40I is identical to the full S40, so you have access to all the same functionality, just without the fuel control. If you wanted to update it later, you can send it back, and I can update it to an S40 for a cost.

To run the ECU, you will need a minimum of a TPS and crank position sensor. The standard ABF crank disc and sensor are fine, you would just need to fit a TPS.
    Coolant sensor is recommended, IAT is good to have, but you can run without them.

The software is free to download from the website, so you can have a play with it now. You don't need an ECU, you can just play around in offline mode.

Hope that helps.

7. Toyotec

I would recommend fitting the IAT/MAT to correct for density.

8. RossT-Mk2 New Member

Okay ace. Cheers for all the info Alex. Which software do I download? There's more on there than I initially expected aha. In terms of price does the 350+vat include a loom etc? I have a fiat coilpack here ready along with a few other mini timer plugs. My loom runs theoughbthe chassis rails so even if it was the main plug with tails I could then extend as appropriate to my car.

And regarding the base map would that get it up and running so its usable? and how do I get it setup from that point? Is it something I could do myself,? I do have a dyno local-ish to me. If I took the software to them would they be able to set it up for me? I'm a bit stuck in terms of tuning being down in Cornwall.

So I definitely need a tps, coolant sensor and an iat? Is that to get it running at its best? I will be utilizing the abfs Oem crank trigger as I'm not a huge fan of the external trigger wheels.
    Any more info would be greatly appreciated. I now have three ecu choices, dta, omex and nodiz now I'm really unsure which way to go
    Thanks

9. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

DTASwin is the software you need. Click here.

That is the price for the ECU.
    If you want a finished loom, it's 110 + VAT. If you just want the plug with a load of wires to run yourself, it's 50 + VAT.
    Bad wiring is the biggest cause of engine running issues, so be very careful if you do it yourself and make sure you have good connections throughout.

You only have to have a crank position sensor and TPS. The others are highly recommended.

The base map would only be to start the engine. Mapping in Cornwall is actually not a problem, we have a couple of dealers with dynos down that way. I can PM you details if you need. YOu can do it yourself, the software is the same as our dealers use.

I run an S40 on my 9A turbo with an external crank trigger wheel. It makes 330 bhp on wasted spark (same as you'd be running) all day long. You won't be disappointed with the ECU. :thumbup:

10. Toyotec

I would be inclined to go with the DTA as you know support is only a keystroke away.

Ed.

11. RossT-Mk2 New Member

Okay cool. Cheers for all the details. So in relation to ecu and loom I'm looking around the 400 Mark? I don't think I'll have issues building a loom, I have the appropriate kit to do it and heatshrinking for the connections etc. My issue is my loom is run through my chassis legs so its needs to be pretty lengthy to run it where I want it, I feel this is probably the easier option of the two.

So in terms sof the mapping is it something I could essentially do in the garage? Or would a dyno run be helpful for fine tuning?

The only dyno I know of near me is RK engineering. Other than that I didn't know there were any others. When I get 10 minutes I'll have a play on the software. Any other info you think will be useful to me, fire away.

Thanks
    Ross

12. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

ECU and loom are 400 + VAT, yup. :thumbup:
    The standard loom is 2m long, so that should be plenty. To make sure, grab a piece of string, and use it to run the longest wire you need, and work from there.

Mapping you can do yourself on the road, but it's much easier on a rolling road. I can give you details of a couple more.

Nothing else to add, just let me know when you're ready, or have more questions.

13. Toyotec

It is safer to develop the wide open throttle part of the calibration on a rolling road, however your driveability and response is best done live.
    If you know what you are doing 95% of the cal can be done live.

14. RossT-Mk2 New Member

Haha you guys have me tempted by the eta setup. My only issue is getting a tps for my carbs. A genuine Yamaha item is 100 and I'm not sure a universal type item will fit. I'll look into it a bit more but it sounds very promising really. Also what sort of gains can I see from a decent ignition kit? If any at all? I do plan on some lairy cams in the future too.