noisy fuel pump

Discussion in '8-valve' started by teh_crunch, Oct 16, 2012.

1. teh_crunch New Member

hello,

been having some issues with a noisy fuel pump. essentially I broke down a few weeks back due to my fuel pump which stopped functioning. I since replaced the pump and the car actually moves forward (Yay) but it was giving out a loud humming noise that was audible in the car.
    after a couple of days I got the pump changed with the assumption it was faulty. once I received the next pump the noise continued.
    I then changed the fuel filter for a new one and the fuel pressure regulator
    the noise has subsided but I can still hear it within my car. mechanics say it is fitted fine and mechanically sound. just a noisy pump. the thing is they don't have to live with it :p
    anyone else got any ideas / experienced this before?

cheers everyone

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. neil kaye Forum Junkie

I experienced a noisy pump some years ago on my 16v ,i replaced the main pump but was advised to fit a lift pump at the same time,if the lift pump isnt working properly it starves the main pump,making it noisy and fail, maybe replace yours, they're fairly cheap, im not well up on the 8V but im sure on some of them they did have a lift pump

3. Classy6 Forum Member

How noisy is noisy?

My 8v pump used to be quite audibly noisy when priming but can't say I noticed it to much when the car running - could just be down to suppression over the engine noise it wasn't as noticeable?

On the other hand I have a K-jet 5bar pump fitted now & the thing is stupidly loud for a fuel pump, when priming it screams & when running you can easily hear it over the engine when outside the car lol

4. neil kaye Forum Junkie

if you have kjet pump i would have thought you would need an accumulator with it which would reduce the noise

5. teh_crunch New Member

thanks for the replies everyone.
    Neil: I had been looking into getting the lift pump switched but every time I mention it to anyone they look at me in a strange way as if I have had my wires crossed but I'm sure I read about them in many Haynes manual. I will do more research on it. especially if you say it would be wise to swap both at the same time.

classy: noisy is audable over my engine.... if I have music on its all good :p I have time this weekend to go on a proper run in it to see if anything happens and of course to just have a blast in the vehicle :p could just be me being worried about nothing but wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue.

I'll look into the lift pump and listen to your past experiences. thanks guys I shall update when I have an epiphany :p

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Always good to mention what car it is.... some cars have a lift pump, others don't.

Noisy fuel pump in Mk2 GTI is probably a sign of a dead lift pump. Mk3 GTIs only have one pump, IIRC.

7. teh_crunch New Member

My apologies Mike. Was quite ignorant of me not to specify in my initial post, usually I am not so careless.
    It is a 1990 mk2 golf GTI.
    Had a fright when I set off after work with a bit of juddering as if not enough fuel was going through. But I had just stalled... twice, which is another rarity.
    Going out again this evening for some martial arts, so will see what happens this time round.
    Luckily I only drive locally during the week so if anything is odd it is not too difficult to get aid.
    Thanks for the input, I will see if I can get check anything out this weekend. Although I feel more funny looks will be coming my way :p I think I shall take my manual with me as proof.

8. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like lift pump to me to :)

Been there alot of times with the 8v's ive owned over the years!

9. Joesoap Forum Member

What he said :thumbup:

Pull it out ..dead handy and take a look at the push on mash filter on the bottom of it ;)

10. teh_crunch New Member

Cheers everyone, I actually can't thank you enough for the responses.
    I know what I am doing this weekend :p
    I have not driven anywhere drastic so hopefully all will settle [:D]
    I will let you know how I get on [:D]

11. teh_crunch New Member

just a brief update... probably not going to be done until Tuesday. I shall give the verdict just in case anyone else has a similar issue and this works

12. dubsteps Forum Member

mines just plain noisey has been for 4 years lol i replaced the lifter pump made no difference car drives spot on so heyho on i go :p

13. teh_crunch New Member

thanks for all your input guys. got the lift pump switched and the exhaust swapped (it was blowing and looked like it had been hit with a hammer.) and it now sounds like a dream and is music to my ears.
    thanks again everyone.
    top notch. :thumbup: