Noisy Oil Pump

Discussion in '8-valve' started by wil892, Jan 8, 2009.

1. wil892 New Member

A few weeks ago I bought a new oil pump from GSF. It was the standard one listed for my 1.6 Driver. Its made in Brazil and not OEM but it is made to a certain quality standard, I forget which.
    However now when the car is cold the oil pump seems to make some noise. The only thing I can liken it to would be a slightly worn clutch release bearing I think. Kinda sounds like noisy slightly vibrating gears. (BTW the car never made this noise before I changed the oil pump).
    When the car has been running for a few minutes and the oil is slightly warmer the noise completely goes.

I completely primed the pump before I installed it, without using vaseline or anything like that. When I started it for the first time the light disappeared after a second, so I don't think it could have been starved of oil.
    I haven't measured the oil pressure but the light has never come on. Might the pump just need running in or does it sound faulty.

BTW i am using 10w40 Fuchs XTR semi-synthetic with a VW OEM Filter, so I don't think its anything to do with overthick oil.

Will