Non start after trying to get the box off

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Pete Soulby, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Pete Soulby New Member

thanks for the replies. I haven't had the ecu tested yet i thought i'd try it first. I tried to jump start it but it just wouldn't have any of it. I'm guessing that by me frying the ecu, the ecu is now just sending loads of fuel to the cylinder and flooding it? hence why its not starting.

I also got the code off the box on mine and the code is ACD310383 could someone translate this into simple terms for me, like what box of what car will fit?

Pete

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

thats a MK2 GTI 8v box :)

3. Pete Soulby New Member

well i got the box off!!!! Like a proper divi i left the plate that sits behind the flywheel connected to the gearbox thinking it was part of the box!!! Lesson learnt the hard way.

To make things easier i removed the pass side driveshaft and the gearbox mounting bracket to free up loadsa room but i did damage and split the brake line before i did that!

Just need a cheap box now.....

4. Pete Soulby New Member

well i sourced a box and fitted it today and got the car running again, i've noticed the clutch pedal is heavy though? and i can get reverse without pushing the stick down, does anyone know what could be causing the problems??

Pete

5. EZ does it Forum Member

Getting reverse without pushing the stick down is often a sign that the plastic ball and socket at the bottom of the stick is worn out. If you can move the stick up and down without the spring moving then it's worn.

6. rubjonny

has it had a new clutch cable? if not get one. manual jobber from a 1.6 driver is what you want, cheap and reliable

7. mk28vICED Forum Member

at a guess you can get reverse without pushing the stick down because the alignment is out. just undo the 13mm pich bolt where the gear lever enters engine bay. set the stick to neautral position and gear linkages in neatral and do it back up! best done under the car with two 13mm spanners.

8. Pete Soulby New Member

thats what i thought, i had no problem selecting reverse before i swapped the box so i think it's just the alignment thats out, i'll have a look tomorrow. Cheers

9. rubjonny

if reverse is where 1st is its an alignment problem, if it can slip under the lockout gate without pushing the stick down its a gearstick lever ball housing problem. either way, linkage faq ;)

10. Pete Soulby New Member

thanks for the advise guys, some proper clever b*****ds floating around that have saved me loads of time. My reverse isnt where 1st is so presume my ball is dead, i'll try re-alligning first though, i dont get reverse lights neither could this be the problem?

11. rubjonny

reverse lights a different issue, thats from a switch on zee gearbox, if you disconnect the plug and bridge the pins with the ignition on the reverse lights should come on.