non working indicators

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Black H reg GTI, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Black H reg GTI New Member

Hello!

My indicators are not working at all. I checked all four bulbs, they're Ok, I tested them, I replaced the fuse which had blown up and they're still not working. When I use the stalk, the dashboard light stays on, same with hazard button behind the steering wheel, it stays on red all the time but nothing happens outside. I think this must be the relay in the fuse box. However, I'm pretty hopeless with diagrams and doesn't know which is which. Taken them all out but impossible to see if there's a fault in them. I can't find any references in my Hayne's manual to the numbers printed on them. Does any of you know which number is the indicator relay?

Regards and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all GTIers!

2. The Other Simon Forum Member

The numbers printed on the top of the relay is the VW type. What you need is the socket number, which is printed on the backplate itself. From memory, the flasher relay is a C13 type on the right hand side of the fusebox.

The dashboard light should reflect what the indicators are doing (they both flash on at the same time). The light on the hazard switch is opposite to the lights outside.

Try replacing the relay, if that doesn't work, then replace the column switch.

Simon.