NOOO jetta untaxed police will tow it!

Discussion in 'Jetta/Vento/Bora' started by mk28vICED, Aug 20, 2007.

1. mk28vICED Forum Member

help my jetta is going to be towed tommorrow im told.
    its been parked outside a friends house for a while with no tax or test and the old bill rolled up last night, ran a check and said it was going to be towed away. im living 100miles away and cant get to it! [8(]
    so gutted, it will drive but he has no license to move it! or t&t! im trying to get it towed somewhere else as i want to get it back on the road! its bright yellow with smoothed rear doors and audi front handles. 1.6 lump.... might not see it again[:s] can i get it back if they tow it?
    its in BURY ST EDMUNDS, SUFFOLK if anyone can help a dubber out?

2. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

i think the police are ....... & need to concerntrate on real crime, yeah fair enought all people need to pay there tax but a warning or something would of been nice first.

3. kev25v6 Forum Member

Round me its 112 quid for it to be towed away plus 12 quid a day untill you get it back, after so long they crush it and possibly still charge you for doing so. Where they tow to are generally closed on weekends but you still get charged for the two days storage.

4. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Then after I think it is 14 days they can crush it, or sell it at auction.

5. Nev93

Nev93 Forum Member

14 days notice to remove car or it gets scrapped. not many places sell at auctions these days..

PLUS.. if you pay the stat charge of 105 (sometimes its 160 towing fee) plus any other storage charges, because the car has no MOT or Tax you will need to get it either towed back to yours or the people who toed it might take it back for you... at a cost of course!!1

Hate to be a pain, but regarding the 'warning' thing...

How many times have you seen the advert on tv??

If it has been parked at your mates ( on the road i presume otherwise they wouldn't be bothered) then they have probably seen it and waited till it had been there a while before giving notice it was to be towed..

im not trying to be nasty, but if it was parked on the road, with no tax ( MOT doesnt matter ) then it was only a matter of time before this happened.

Similar thing happened to me and i managed to get it off the road before they came to tow it.

A friend of mine wasnt so lucky.. the car out of tax, up on axle stands out side his house ( really quiet cul de sac) he was working done on it to get it through the MOT after it failed an the tax ran out...

they turned up, put the wheels back on the car, took it off the stands and towed it. and this was just after xmas!!!

cost him 300 to get it back........... **** happens!!!!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  6. Golf Nut Pete

Golf Nut Pete Forum Member

noooo, any chance of ya mate or someone he knows runnin it round corner or summet quick time, cant get it crushed youve been graftin on that by sounds of it aint ya so would be a shame.

7. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

well that was bright[:[]

havnt you got anyone there who could just move it?

8. dubstar Forum Member

Would rather not be reminded thanks.

but i was lucky to get the car back that night, they took it to the local army barracks while i was in work, 250 paid at the police station to get it released the other 50 for the tow truck to take it home.

they were gonna take it to llandudno (north wales coast) which is about an hour n half from here.

North wales police[:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x]

9. Golf Nut Pete

its a strange business, how can you afford to pay all that and then go out and get tax and mot.

10. dubstar Forum Member

Aimed at me??

Car was put onto a neighbours drive and left there while christmas went by car was finally mot`d taxed in march. they kept coming round to have a look to see where it was just smiled at them.

Dont have anytime for the police round here, bunch of wasters, yet i go over the border and there fine deal with them everyday near enough and never had a problem with them

11. mk28vICED Forum Member

i hope my mate moved it...if not its another dub to scrap heaven, i cant afford to get it back...if they have does anyone want to buy it back and HAVE IT. needs some welding and a service, a CV boot and central locking. and a spray because the boot is smoothed, big bumpers lowered 15" 5 spokes...
    was going to spray it white to match my golf [8(]
    TBH i think my mate will drive it away!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  12. Golf Nut Pete

No [:s] .
    ah i get ya just read your post properly. No was just sayin rather than fine you and tow you away first time why couldnt they give ya a warnin, maybe say come back to us with a tax disc for it and you can have it back no charge ( or a small one ). if i had to pay all these fees to get it back i proberbly wouldnt have enough money at end of it to tax it. they could do it with fines as well for, say for tyres, instead of fine and points they could give you a producer and say get a tyre within a few days and provide evidence and we'll waiver the points and fine.

13. Nev93

Nev93 Forum Member

Normally, if a car is picked up for no tax, 120 of the fine is to cover the tax.

If you can produce a valid tax disc within 7 days you can get the 120 back.. doesn't always happen that way though..

14. Golf Nut Pete

emm, didnt know that that quite good, will keep that in mind should it ever happen to me not that i drive around without tax or anythin.

15. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

If this is to cover the tax, what then covers the recovery operators costs, up in Scotland, that's what the costs go to, ie. you don't get your money back, this is classed as a fine, and all moneys of the start go to the recovery operator to cover their costs, they won't do work for no payment, you then get fined by the DVLA, for keeping the car on the road without tax.

I have never heard of anybody getting there money back, what would the point of fines be then

Also I don't know where you got your info regarding cars being sold at auction, I confirmed this with the locql contractor we use at work, they always try and sell them at auction, unless the car is a total scrapper, due to the high costs re scrapping a car and disposing of it, it is more cost effective to sell them at auction.

16. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

If it were me i'd get my mate to swap the wheels for steelies, take off the front doors and phone a scrappers to pick it up before the police do.

17. mk28vICED Forum Member

haha, the boys took the suspension and alloys off, then managed to get it to my dads house, he's not very happy as i dont live there and said he will scrap it if i dont pick it up a.s.a.p! got somewhere to put it its two miles away and can keep it there to fix up...if that ever happens! its done 10 miles in 18 months as far as i can remember...i think ill be needing some help from the forum on this one! the heater matrix is either dead or missing as the water pipes are bypassing the engine bay connections...

18. Nev93

Nev93 Forum Member

The 120 is added on top of the stat charges and storage. If you can produce a valid ta disk, you can get a refund from the DVLA normally minus the previous month.

Its not a FULL refund, just the proportion of the Tax that you SHOULD have paid.

Regarding the selling of cars etc, i suppose each area is different, Laws in Scotland regarding Untaxed vehicles and storage charges are different to the UK.

I work for a Finance company and manage our Repo agents so deal with cases like this every day..

One council, scrapped an 04 Scooby that was on finance, without even telling us.. Still dealing with that one now..... lol

ps, gld you managed to save it from the Police, although this may make you think twice about leaving a car with No MOT or Tax on the street....

Its Called Statutory OFF ROAD notification (SORN) for a reason.. i nearly got caught out with this as well...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  19. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Yeah, those pesky police having to enforce all those laws and not ignoring them. How rude.

Especially those Traffic Cops. Where do they get off spending most of there time policing the traffic and not catching all the rapists and murderers. Its like its in there job description or something.

"its been parked outside a friends house for a while "

Maybe the police went past it a few times giving it the benefit of the doubt before informing of towing?

I know when the cop came past my house he could see it hadn't been used (rusted up brake disks etc) and gave me time to sort it out before it got towed. The very next day I removed it and ended up only getting a Fine from teh DVLA. Personally I count myself lucky ( as should mk28vICED imho) they gave me notice and chance to move it and not call someone there and then to tow it away, as I'm sure they can, and charge me a hell of a lot more than the 90 DVLA fine.

It was parked outside my house in a vry quiet cul de sac in a small village undriven for a year[:$]

20. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

5,0 = low