Not quite what I expected

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by altern8, Jun 9, 2010.

1. chrismc Forum Junkie

Who has mapped it?

2. altern8 Forum Junkie

I'm not sure who did the original mapping but it was a very good base map for the engine, I had it checked out by a local rally mechanic and then it was taking to Tommys rolling road who put on the rollers to check out the map.

There were a few weak fuel points on the map and the ignition timing was out higher up the rev range.

Its not mapped 100% but to a safe level so there is still some work but thats because the cams are to go in once it has a few miles on the engine. Both were expecting more power and both said how well it drove on the road.

3. chrismc Forum Junkie

Therein lies the problem then....

No two motors are the same and from experience a proper mapping session where each load site can be optimized for fuelling and ignition really does make a huge difference.

If you search for DinkyDaves pickle Ibiza thread he had his DTA mapped by track and road. I had my bodied mk2 mapped at the same place. Highly recommended.

You can't expect much from a base map TBH

4. altern8 Forum Junkie

Dave lives near me, didnt Saxon Motorsport do his?

I say base map its from a simular spec ABF like mine, only differences are the cams and injectors and hes using a air box.

5. bens_cab Forum Junkie

only difference[:s] id say get the map set to the right size injectors for a start it could have been going lean did they measure the afr on the rollers?

also the spark map will be out to if the cams are different along with the injectors each map is set to specific engine not generic:thumbup:

im sure you will figure it out

6. altern8 Forum Junkie

Cheers, They did use a wideband on the rollers, I'll get it run in and get the cams fitted, then get it fully mapped. I think I need to find out why the water temp reading is being read higher than whats true figures are too.

Air box is on the must list anything else? I'm currently running some light blue vw/audi injectors I'll see whats the alternatives for them too.

7. chrismc Forum Junkie

I'd advise going for more compression if you are intent on fitting 288's. If not then sell them and go for schrick 268s or even ABF cams to cap costs

With a proper map the 288s will be very peaky & your engine will be wanting to rev well past the stock limit. Not the best plan for longevity unless the block is built for it. For comparison, my schrick 268/276 cams on jenveys and DTA with stock compression peaked at 7300 but held power to close on 8k:o

268s will still give good top end power and can be swung on a vernier to suit so you can set a sensible 7500rpm limit.

A PROPER remap should be last on the list after the physical mods and will unleash so much more. As a word of caution, Dont be tempted by overly lairy cams if the bottom end isn't built for bigger revs though.

8. altern8 Forum Junkie

9. chrismc Forum Junkie

My water temp on DTA always read high too. Must be a vaguerie of the system.

Worth checking what peak figures DTA is seeing as it's normally configured to retard ignition and add fuel if water temp gets too high. I think it's called water temp compensation from memory.

Fortunately you can set the compensation to zero if the sensor is giving falsely high readings to prevent it backing the timing off! Well worth a check...

10. altern8 Forum Junkie

Good memory, they did the same and set the water temp to 0's too.

11. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

all sensors have calibrations in the ecu, so are adjustable

12. prof Forum Addict

and take those ****e socks off

13. altern8 Forum Junkie

I didnt see a option for that under the DTAwin software, is it under one of the menus?

14. badger5

Engine Configuration> Sensor Scaling> Water Temp

:thumbup:

15. altern8 Forum Junkie

Thanks Bill, I think thats only on the newer software not the old version :(

Forgot to say (might be in the other post) these parts didnt fit the head

Water Temp Sensor (any NTC reading approx. 2.4 KOhms at 20 deg C)
    Lucas SNB801
    Bosch 0280 013 026

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  16. badger5

what ecu?

download SWinDTA and its in the menu tree and has been for a long time.

17. altern8 Forum Junkie

Sorry its an old e48, Can I use the Swin with that ecu?

18. badger5

nope, only old DTAwin

19. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The numbers measured, look low to me, if the lambda profile and spark advance claimed is "good". TQ curve looks pretty typical to me and this is what I would expect for an ABF motor with STD cams and fatory inlet plenum. I cannot pass any judgement unless such a vehicle is driven and compared to some of the other vehicles w/ABF motors, also driven and measured on another type of dyno. High air temp could cause a performance penalty depending on what is considered high and how much correction is set based on ECU thresholds. ECU water temp can do the same dependant on preset ECU correction. But without driving this car it is difficult to say if these parameters are actually responsible for the measurement displayed. It might be that the dyno read low, due to user determined load setting but the reality is the car has been set-up quite well and does go quite hard.

Do you have a plot with TQ vs fuel mixture. You can PM if you wish.

20. prof Forum Addict

they look low as those filters are like a cork in the end of the pipe