Not so Dodgy project, Ooh-Ar 32

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by dodgy, Sep 23, 2021.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Bear with me for this one, it's not my car, but I've basically been collecting everything for it, bankrolling parts until payday, and will be fitting and sorting the new drive train, I own an engine hoist and most of the tools. IMG-20200716-WA0000.jpg

So, late mk3 Gti in red, anniversary interior and a set of porsche D90s, belongs to my mate.
    Acquired an Audi 3.2 v6 engine from @nass on here. I've then sourced a V5 bora gearbox, flywheel, starter, vr6 mounts, 100mm cups, hydraulic clutch system, wiring etc, pedal mount, trackslag downpipe and a load of bits I've forgotten probably.
    There are also a set of tt discs and calipers and my old spacers to mount them, 9n rear hubs etc.
    It's going to be a slow one due to location and work but think it will be a good project.
    20210923_170315.jpg
    @cupracraig , it arrived today luckily.

Attached Files:

McPikie, erreesse and costel1969 like this.
  2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Oh, interesting stuff.

dodgy likes this.
  3. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

oooft, that will be a cracker!

dodgy likes this.
  4. dodgy

Hopefully, it's a nice looking car, just needs wings as per most mk3s and a little tidy up here and there, think the r32 lump will sit nicely in it.

5. nass Forum Member

Hi mate

Nice to see your getting with your project mate looking forward to seeing this
    Good luck

Nas

dodgy likes this.
  6. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Missed this. Should be good, that's a nice looking engine.
    You should have said about the wings, the ones on our breaker were good but gone now!!
    Watching with interest around the electrics.

7. dodgy

Thanks Phil, they are only about 40 for new wings each, less sometimes. Its about 40 odd miles from my house, so trying to arrange time is an issue to do it, hopefully get it in during October, mechanical side anyway.

8. dodgy

Plan is start the swap Sunday, updates to follow.

Savagesam likes this.
  9. dodgy

And so it begins.
    Day at mates, got the mk3 gti apart and engine out, only problem was the exhaust, 3 cutting discs to chop it enough to break apart at the cat, access is a right pain.
    V6 off the stand and bolted up a v5 flywheel, new vr6 clutch and a 2.3 v5 o2j gearbox with 100mm cups.
    Rear mounts from a vr6 on the engine, mk3 tdi on the gearbox and a modified vr6 front mount, captive nuts removed so bolts can go through to the block/box, packers were required between the top bolt hole and block on the mount, only a couple of washers, whereas I've read people putting 17mm approx in there, perhaps it's a vr6 box they use?
    20211010_101042.jpg 20211010_145737.jpg 20211010_180617.jpg
    Engine fitted in car, all mounts line up perfectly, not a bad day's work

And now some questions,
    Aircon compressor is VERY close to crossmember, could remove it, but the mk3 has air conditioning so would be nice if could keep it, so is there a smaller comp or notch member? Or if remove it any idea of the belt length?
    Next, oil filter/cooler had to be removed to fit mount and looks as if it will have interference when go to refit it, is there an alternative one or mod?
    Thanks, a pooped dodgy Dave.

PhilRyder likes this.
  10. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Wow, that indeed is a good days work! :thumbup:

11. dodgy

Set off 8.30, got in at 8.00 tonight, realised as I called Allie on way home all I had to eat was 4 shortbread fingers!

Still a lot to sort and do, but it's in there.

costel1969 likes this.
  12. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

Good effort, the engine looks nice in a mk3!

Could you get a smaller oil filter on? I'm sure theres a certain polo one thats pretty tiny
    Failing that, maybe just relocate the filter elsewhere with a oil filter take off plate bolted to the housing

dodgy likes this.
  13. dodgy

May look at relocation plate, but kind of recall a 1.8t one being used? Didn't get any pics of it, but it's a cartridge one, not a spin on filter like my s3 lump.
    Used to be use a reliant kitten spin on in tight applications as they were very short.

14. McPikie New Member

This guy recommended an oil cooler from the 12v 4mo engine I think as it's slimmer so there's room around the mount

erreesse and dodgy like this.
  15. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Very nice, do like a red mk3 (biased of course!). Good luck with it and the VR6 will look nice in the engine bay.

dodgy likes this.
  16. dodgy

Stalled project at the moment, weather, life, job and it being 40 miles away have stopped progress apart from collecting a few parts on this I'm afraid, will get on to it soon.

17. McPikie New Member

I'm going to subscribe to this because it's the exact route I want to go down with my 1.8CL (albeit I don't know if I have to change hubs for 5 studs etc for the correct driveshafts.

I'm looking for something as plug n play as possible using OEM parts

18. dodgy

We've got an o2j gearbox from a v5 mk4 golf, so can keep standard driveshafts, as you can with a mk3 vr6 box.
    Both boxes have ( or can be swapped on o2j from 108mm) 100mm output flanges, so on a 4 stud mk3 you need the 100mm inner cv type driveshafts as fitted to the 1.9 tdi (not sdi) not sure if your 1.8cl has them or not, I have a set of near new tdi shafts plus one brand new one, also mk3 non gti/vr6 wishbones near new if need them, I had them on my mk2 to widetrack it.

Edit, just checked your green machine, it's an auto so shafts are completely different so would need tdi ones to stay 4 stud or gti/vr6 if go 5 stud (need different wishbones, hubs, anti roll bar too if go that route)
    Have a look at your front hubs and see if calipers are bolt on ( carrier bolts to hub, will see two 17mm? bolt heads on inside) or the lower spec fixed claw type, know the last auto mk3 estate I saw had the bolt on type.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    McPikie likes this.
  19. dodgy

Tiny update, but not much to look at.
    Got some time on this yesterday, engine back out, loom out, gearchange out.
    Swapped oil cooler on front of engine to clear mount, and cut the rear mount down so have clearance and it sits better.
    Vr6 thermostat housing bolted up and engine back in for now.
    Front mount is super squishy so have got some bits on order to modify it, worked out the gear change mount so will sort that this week, it's an A3 one and different to the standard mk4 one.
    Clutch master cylinder fitted too, pipes and slave on order along with sai blanking plate.
    So progress but awaiting parts now and loom to be sorted. 20220619_162656.jpg

Attached Files:

caddyboet and MJA like this.
  20. dodgy

Early morning mods, audi a3 gearchange unit fitted with m8 nutserts and stick chopped and threaded to take anniversary style gearknob.
    40mm spacers to make so can bolt it up to the tunnel. 20220625_163553.jpg

Attached Files:

PhilRyder likes this.