Not Starting

Discussion in '8-valve' started by nickh89GTi, Mar 6, 2009.

1. spitty6 New Member

Have you tried a compression test to see if the head gasket is ok? I've just finally got mine going after very similar problems, changed everything and nothing worked... turned out the gasket was busted (although it was showing no symptoms of this at the time). Just changed the head gasket and now it runs..... For the first time in 6 months! Still yet to drive it as I now have an idle issue with the revs just climbing all the time.

Good luck with sorting it!

2. nickh89GTi Forum Member

RJ,

I turned the ignition 1 click last night and i get nothing. Turn it to the second click and thats when a relay clicks and the fuel pump primes. Plugs are wet even after a few seconds of cranking over and are black. Also get a strong smell of petrol after cranking the car over. Was thinking of trying a new fuel pump relay but don't know if this will solve anything.

Cheers

Nick

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

summat not right there... check the wires to the injecotr rail, if they've chafed thru somewhere then the injectors will be stuck open. same issue if the ecu is blown too, which sounds suspiciously like the issue to me

4. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Could i have blown the ecu by moving that earth from where i had it to the battery? Will have a look at the fuel rail, injectors and loom tonight. Should the fuel pump prime on the first click of the ign or second? I noticed yesterday that the wiring for the injectors where getting caught on the bottom of the throttle body. This car is a PITA.

5. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Also when i had a spark plug out the other day checking for spark, as i was cranking the engine over, you could see a lot of fuel vapour/mist coming out of the spark plug hole? Is this dodgy injectors/wiring/blown ECU even though the fuel pump only Primes when ign switched on?

Thanks for your help so far guys much appreciated :thumbup:

6. rubjonny

i wouldnt have thought so, earth is earth and direct to battery is better than to the chassis!
    later MK2s and MK3s have a redesigned gearbox earth, it runs to a stud on the rear engine/gearbox mounting bolt. Much better earth path this way and is definitly recommended if you have the old type which is bolted to the gearbox mount bracket!

7. nickh89GTi Forum Member

How do i test the injectors to see if they are stuck open mate? I've tried two different blue temp sensor which made no difference. I may have taken an earth off the car without disconnecting the battery at some point. Can ECU's blow without causing the fuel pump to run constantly. When it cut out the other day the fuel pump kept running.

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Check your oil level. If it's the ECU, your sump will be filling up with petrol.

9. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Had the dizzy out the other day and got a bit of oil on my hand from the cog on the dizzy and it smelt/stank of petrol. Coming to the conclusion i may be needing an ECU.

10. rubjonny

if you have a good multimeter (needs to have a quick responce time) put it across the pins on the fuel rail plug. If ecu is blown it'll just be stuck at 12v while cranking, if its working it should pulse, but i think it might be a bit quick for you to tell on most multtmeters...

11. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Also when i've been twisting the dizzy trying to start the car up. I left the ignition on and twisted the dizzy, as i twisted it i heard a click and the fuel pump prime again when i got to a certain point, turned it back and went forward again and it clicked and fuel pump primed again. Should this happen?

12. Golfamily7 Forum Member

New ECU!!

13. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Well have checked the oil tonight and full of petrol. So have taken the ECU out opened it up and there's a knackered resistor and a blown circuit. So new ECU for me know then.

Thanks for all your help guys much appreciated and looks like the golf lives to fight another day :lol: :thumbup:

14. bamba.paul Forum Member

thats just the fuel thats being injected, you will still have some fuel pressure in the rail even if the pump only runs for a short time, weather its the correct amount at the right time is a different matter.when you moved the earth wire to the battery you did put it to the negative side ???
    the fuel pump will only prime until the relay sees a possitive feed back from the ignition circiut , cant remember where.
    make a tempory supply /earth to the fuel pump if you are not sure

15. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Yeah definately put it on the earth side of the battery. Will clean up all the earths and prob put in the ones from a passat as suggested in other threads before i put new ECU in.

Cheers

Nick

16. tallymk2gti Forum Member

Similar problems

I've just changed my head gasket due to a snapped plug in head,I've got a mk2 1.8 8v gti PB engine. Mines not starting aswell as it should, Its got a spark, Timings been checked double checked with timing light it seems fine, But it just dosen't want to fire up easy also seems slower bottom end (sluggish). Could it be the emmisions, This morning it wouldnt fire up yet i drove it 10miles yesterday ok.. I took off blue sensor and it fired up after about 20 seconds, Please any advice..

17. rubjonny

since heads been off every chance rotor arm has moved a tooth as it'll spin freely when the belt is loosened, double check the static & ign timing as per my digfifant tuneup guide :)

18. tallymk2gti Forum Member

Checked them both aswell A ok double checked with timing light & Dixxy is at TDC. Could it be emmisions, Av just went and tried it there after its stood gor 3 hours and it fired up straight away..

19. rubjonny

ok if you're sure the timing is ok then id replace the ecu temp sensor with a new VW one :)