Nurburg4Nowt.co.uk Mk2 Jetta Trackday Car

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by riffy99, May 8, 2007.

1. Collie Forum Junkie

2. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

well done lads i wish my jetta needed more work, keep it up and good luck with the track sessions

3. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Excellent work! [:D]

4. riffy99 Forum Member

Thanks again :)
    We're going to try and enjoy it for a while. Get used to the feel and improve our skills on the track.
    Saying that we do have a roll cage to get in and some larger calipers that need a refurb, a 2.0L block has some appeal too :lol:

5. MK2

mk2 New Member

What a transformation you guys have shown everyone what can be done on such a low budget and the end result looks great.Also you've rased some money for charity wich makes you guys legands.:clap:

Dan

6. riffy99 Forum Member

[​IMG]

We managed to pick up this roll cage from a forum member and will be fitting it this weekend. Looks ok, might not be a perfect fit but it's going to be better than no cage.

Seeing as this will be the last full weekend before our Ring trip the cage will be the last big addition. The only other thing to do are the VDO gauges. Now we have a mk3 oil flange this should be quite simple [:D]

7. deepee New Member

Hello fellas my names Dan I work with Adam, not sure weather riffy is Adam or his brother but i have to say this is probably the best project ive read/seen in ages, its a credit to both of you, to do it on a shoe string budget is even more of an acheivment. I hope you take it forward, to its great to see people doing something they enjoy and giving a little back in the prosses.

Keep up the Good Work........................................:)

8. NLW73 Forum Member

great work Riffy and maybe see you out there at thr ring in my jetta 16v track day machine.

here is a linky to my car and post: http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127254

like you I went for the jetta as it was a cheaper buy than a golf, less desirable but I think they drive better than the golf as more stable at the rear. I went for that car as it has the cage, avo coilovers, poly bushed all round, decent 1.8 16v in it, 2 sets of wheels (including semi slicks) as well as full anti roll bar kit from Eibach and loads of other stuff.

I reckon I am at 2k now what with paint work and labour but what a hoot it is.

I got a 2 litre 9a engine for 200 pounds so mated to a flowed head and kr cams it should go very well.

see you at the ring maybe as we are out there on the 26th May

Nick

9. TommyT Forum Member

Brilliant Work!

Gives me inspiration!

TT

10. riffy99 Forum Member

NLW73, excellent choice of car, you've got a notch up from ours there ;)
    I agree, it's great fun and value for fun factor is great.

Keep an eye out for you over the weekend, should be fun [:D]

11. riffy99 Forum Member

Cheers Dan :)

Riffy99 is Richards log in, mine didnt let me post so I just log in as him now. Keeps it simple too.

Hope your enjoying your leave. Im tempted to take the jetta up to work but not sure I really want 2 hours of motorway eachway on top of the drive to Germany! Ill bring it up to show you some stage after hopefully.

See you next shift, if your back in.

Adam

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  12. deepee New Member

Nice one m8 would be great to see it in the flesh after reading all about the build..........;)

13. riffy99 Forum Member

Roll Cage is all in now :) !! Much sooner than expected. Rich was planning weekend but forgot I had days off up running up to it.

After picking it up from a club GTi member for 105 I had a go at fitting it myself a couple days ago. Didn’t get far! I couldn’t even get the cage in the car.

We think it was from a 2 door golf and with the large feet plates, was some way off fitting in the passenger or rear door even with doors taken off.

We found a number for a man who makes roll cages and left it round with him. We also asked him to weld 2 door bars in. Only a few hours later he rang up saying it was ready to be picked up, bonus! :p

Chatting to him on picking up the car he said he nearly rang me to recommend starting again with a fresh cage as it wasn’t a great fit but knew we were on a budget so did his best.

I have to say Im more than happy with it. It is by no means the best fitting cage Ive ever seen ( sits a bit low ) but its good enough for us.

I spent today painting the new door bars, removing some floor and below dash sound deadening and repainting the floors.

Got the seats back in, put some sponge on for head and leg area just in time for some pics before it got dark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Adam

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  14. deepee New Member

Stunning m8, looking awesome ............... :clap:

15. riffy99 Forum Member

Thanks Dan

Forgot to mention how the roll cage has stiffened up the chassis, really reduced the rattles and improved the general feel a huge amout big problem thats just cropped up only 6 days away from leaving to the ring.

Bad news though!...... It seems one of you front shocks has gone. They were a second hand buy last year and were well worn before we started abusing them so not a total shock i guess.

The question is, we really need to get a new setup but are not sure which way to go. The budget is still important but with the short time scale 2nd had is out the question unless were very lucky.

Can any of you offer advice as to what the best set up is between 250-350 . [:s]

Its a shame as it might end up coming close to a quater of our spend and happened so near to leaving but dont want to try the ring with a broken shock :o

Rich & Adam

16. mk28vICED Forum Member

wow guys awesome jetta project....
    i've got a 5dr bright yellow jetta just sitting in a shed...this gives me hope it will see the road again!!!
    good luck with the shocks etc..

17. riffy99 Forum Member

mk28vICED, definitely get the Jetta out ;)
    We managed to pick up a set of hardly used coilovers for 250.
    Picked these up Wednesday evening and where impressed by the condition of them, probably only covered a few thousand miles.

[​IMG]

Removal of the old shocks was quick painless. The strutbrace caused a bit of a delay as we had to remove all the bolts that where recently fitting in place of the provided self tappers.

We greased them up and fitted the fronts first.

[​IMG]

Moved onto the rears and did these. Luckly everything seemed to go to plan for a change :)

[​IMG]

Dropped the car back down, tightened it all up and surveyed the end result.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The height looked good so we refitted the strutbrace and went for a test drive.
    Conclusion was good :p Much better than the old (well worn!) setup. The ride was also much less crashy. So glad we spotted the problem just in time!

All thats left for tomorrow is a polish, pack maybe a new sticker, fuel and we're off [:D]

18. MUSH Forum Member

Great thread, well impressed lads well done;) :lol: [:D]

19. JUZ

JuZ Forum Member

Cool project, have fun lads :)

20. deepee New Member

Awesome Adam, see you when you get back m8.