OBD2 pinout for 1.8t conversion

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Marcus Chis, Dec 27, 2023.

1. Marcus Chis New Member

Hello. I have a MK2 that's been converted to 1.8t. I kept the loom form the donor car (MK4) and I even had MK4 cluster till last week when I decided to return to original mk2 cluster.

I have already wired my OBD2 port directly from the ecu wires with the 6 wires (Pin 4,5,6,7,14 and 16) and I can do diagnosis on the Engine only. Is there anyone that can tell me what other pins I need to wire in order to have communication with the central electronics? I need that CE connection so can use VCDS to code the car and tell the ecu that the car hasn't got central locking because everytime when I turn the key in the ignition, the warning lights start flashing.

Thanks,

2. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Paid Member Paid Member

Which warning lights flash on the MK2 Cluster?

Do you have the Central Electrics module in the car?, it all talks via the K Line normally grey with a white colour trace.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the mk2 cluster has no comms to the ecu, is it not the oil light flashing? you would expect this if it had mk4 clocks before as you need to bin the mk4 oil switch and replace it with 2 mk2 oil switches plus add the extra wire for the 2nd switch to keep cluster happy.

if it had oil level/temp wired to cluster you could re-use that for your 2nd oil switch

Marcus Chis likes this.
  4. Marcus Chis New Member

Thanks John. I've just sorted the thing with lights flashing by removing the comfort module. I have also wired the second oil switch so all fine now.

Only slight issue I'm left with it's the turn signal light on at all time on the clocks and also, hazard lights button from column is only working with the ignition on (assuming it's like that because I've kept the hazard relay from MK4 on the switch and also all the light relay on the mk4 lights button)

5. rubjonny

hmm the mk4 hazard switch should still work ignition off, check the red/green wire has perm live

with the cluster you need to wire the single indicator warning lamp pin 24 green for ce2 or T7/7 blue/red for CE1 is wired to mk4 hazard switch black/white/green

6. Marcus Chis New Member

Hi. Thanks for coming back to me. You are right, the MK4 switch still works however, the MK2 switch only works with ign on.

This is exactly what I did with the green wire but the light on the clocks it's on always when the ign it's on. Not as bright as the way it is when I use the signals tho.

7. rubjonny

the mk2 hazard switch should also work without ignition on :p

if the light is always on, this could be same as symptom on a mk2 when the ignition live is lost to the stalk/switch, check the black/white wire is live ignition on (though if indicators work I guess thats fine...)