OEM management wiring: 1.8T => Mk2 harness install FAQ

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by 20v_jimmy, Dec 29, 2009.

1. weemattglasgow New Member

this mite sound silly guys but where would the two pin plug from the alternator go to ? and who can i buy the tach adapter from for the revo thanks for help i am starting mine soon i just need to sit the engine in also who has any info on wire tucking how does the extra lenth of wire affect it resistance wise?

2. weemattglasgow New Member

hello can you tell me where the two pin plug fom altinator will go to thanks

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if its early car only 1 pin is needed it runs to the blue wire on the lighting./engien loom where the old alternator blue wire went. if its later loom then you need that plus the 2nd pin goes to the ecu

wire length wont be a problem so tuck away!

4. Classy6 Forum Member

Johnny what's this second wire that goes to the ECU? I vaguely remember when I did my loom many moons ago now getting shot of a wire I labelled alternator lol because I assumed at the time I could just run the mk2 blue exciter wire from pin 2 on my alternator to the fusebox. Might have to have a sift back through the wiring diagrams & see how it links up, think it was located in either the orange or white connector on the 20v... [:s]

5. rubjonny

do you mean the 2nd alternator wire? if so im not sure what it does or if the world ends if not connected, but it runs to pin DFM on the alternator. the other pin on the alternator connects to the old blue excitor wire though, if you dont do this it wont charge

6. KentGTiKR Forum Member

I want to ask.. Do I need to have switch on clutch pedal when AGU is swapped to mk2 ? I didn't delete wires from the loom and left that. The switch itself is not adapted to mk2 pedal yet, but I have it. Just wanted to know if it's influence operation of ECU. :)

7. rubjonny

i think the clutch switch is only there for the DMF, if you dont have one then it should be ok. the onlything is the ecu wont know if the clutch pedal is pressed, and since thats only gonna happen between gear changes i dont see how not having one would be an issue. however i have a feeling the clutch switch may opperate opposite to how a brake switch is, so it may be without it plugged in ecu thinks the clutch is always pressed? need to get hold of one to check

8. trevlanes New Member

Hello everyone! Wanted to thank Mr. 20v_Jimmy for taking the time to organize this data. Thanks to this write-up and my Bentley manual, I am now a proud 20vt driver too! Still a ton to work out, but this thread was a great resource for getting the thing running.

Here is my "pavement-princess" with her new power plant:

[​IMG]

I found it easier to print, cut and paste wiring diagram pages to get the "big picture".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. benthejettaman Forum Member

10. rubjonny

something that might be worth adding to the original post, the MK3 golf 1.8-2.0 coolant temp sensor will work with a mk1/2/3 dash directly no need for resistors, and the ECU temp part of it is the same spec as the MK4 :thumbup:

early AGU has the same plug as the mk3 so it will swap stragiht over, later agu and aum will need the mk3 golf plug swapping over

11. Joshyboy New Member

My friend is undergoing this conversion in his CE1 carby mk2, does he need to keep the mk2 coil wires or can he cut them out?

12. rubjonny

13. qksilva New Member

Awsome thread guys! Thanks!
    Ive been following the wiring hints in this thread and a few others ive researched. I got the AWW 1.8t to crank and start in my mk3 using this table that I made.

[​IMG]

I still have to hook up some of the A/C connections from mk3 to mk4. I have a few strange problems though.

- When I turn the key to the ON position the clock and ODO go blank. Also, the temp and fuel gauges dont move. I think the cluster power gets cut when the key is in the ON position. A few warning lights come on though. After I turn the car off the clock resets.

- No MIL light, I'm not sure which wire from the mk4 side goes to g1/9

- No tach

Anyone with any suggestions?

14. G-man1 New Member

Hi i may have missed this but could you help me im trying to wire a agu engine into golf mk3 some1 said they could do this but when i checked they put t6 pin 1 into g1pin4 so they say but thats a double black wire is this correct?or they got pins wrong?please please help me thanks

15. qksilva New Member

Here is a swap table i made.

everything works so far except I'm having trouble with the VSS signal to the ecu and the MIL.

My speedo works but there is no signal to the ecu. I pretty much have the VSS wired directly to the ecu right now. Do I need to wire it to the mk3 cluster's speedo output? Or do I need to install a mk4 cluster?

[​IMG]

16. N1CKY New Member

Im having some issues wiring in the fuel side of things, I dont get what g1 is that you refer to ?

Anyone any ideas ?

17. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

18. rubjonny

19. bantan45 Forum Member

is there any other guides like this one out there as i dont have a mk2 with ce2 but i have a 1998 polo 6n that runs the same style plugs as the mk4 golf.
    ive got a aeb in it and am just in a bit of a pickle with the wireing side of life who can help out a fellow young dubber get the right wires in place to get me on the road RUBJONNY an calling you out looooooool

20. rubjonny

have a looky in my sig for various wiring diagrams, 6n2basicequipment.pdf should be what you require