Oil breather into a bottle.. aside effects?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by sharn, Aug 8, 2008.

1. sharn New Member

Firstly, im Sharn. I am a tall hetrosexual male with a 1986 golf gl.

I am only just coming to understand that my engine doesnt just work due to some kind of magic and saucery, but infact it is mechanical and actually quite understandable!

SO, i realise that ideally i want as much clean, cold air getting in as possible, and that a direct pipe feeding hot oily air behind the filter isnt the best diet for my car. I have re-ruited the oil breather pipe into a bottle and popped a cork in the remaining airbox hole.

In my mind this made perfect sense, less horrible air getting in the better! But after reading through past discussions i hear people talking about the engine possibly needing that connection to create a sufficient vacuum?

So does it? Or is the engine going to be fine just dumping this horrible air into the atmosphere and relying totally on the air from the air intake ( as i have also reruited the manifold hot air pipe to be another cold air intake)

And although yes, there is no oily warm air being forced into the car anymore. Is there any air being circulated at all when the cars not moving? Because the cold air feed doesnt particularly seem to suck air in when idling. Whereas the warm air from the breather pipe does seem to be pushing out alot of air, (even though it is hot air)

So i guess my question is.. is it better to have this pipe connected normally into the airbox so then there is always a supply of air (even if its not clean and cold) being circulated into the carb? Or will it run perctly fine and double the bhp of my car [:D]?

...not really, im not expecting it to make any difference what so ever to performance. Just seems to make sense not to force horrible air through the engine if it doesnt have to. Because whats best for my vw is best for me.

I hope that makes sense :) and sorry for the ramblings...

2. EZ does it Forum Member

Double? more like triple! Nah, I've done this on my Mk2 driver and the engine runs sweet as a nut, fuel consumption is fine, no difference really, plus I don't get oil in the air filter after I've been out for a hack!
    Thing is its a legal requirement for an engine to ingest its own vapours, so you'll have to put it back for the MOT.

3. sharn New Member

*sorcery

Thanks, thats what i wanted to hear. Ill just hook it back up for an mot then. Just someone mentioned it creating a vacuum and i wanted to be sure...

thanks again. sharn

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Best bet is to route the breather into a catch tank, then on from there into the original airbox connection. If you use fairly long pipes to and from the catch tank most of the 'horrible' stuff will condense out and stay in your catch tank (you may find that the majority of this turns out to be water, mucky water). Whatever now gets to your carburettor will be cooler and cleaner, and you won't be emitting any fumes except your exhaust. I had one of these set-ups for a while, but as it only caught mucky water, decided to remove it again. No performance difference to report.

You do want some vacuum drawing the breather fumes out ideally, can't remember exactly why. The connection to the airbox achieves this.

Why do you think we might be interested in your height and sexuality though??? :lol:

5. sharn New Member

I though as much, i will craft something up when i have a spare ten minutes! Just the thought that its running abit cleaner is nice!

And i dont know, thought id introduce myself a little [:D] Maybe you just wana know about the car. fair enough...

6. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

this is fine. I do this to all my cars and it did make a differance on my mk1 gti. mine are just vented to atmos like yours, the gasses are forced out of the crank case by the movement of the crank whizzing round, you dont need suction it as its will always be at posative pressure compared to atmos, but you will need a catch can really and a breather as when the engine cools you get negative pressure and it sucks in air which unless you have a small filter on there is dirty air with dust in it,(you can be ok if you pipe works very long but I still wouldnt trust it for too long just in case,)

you wil also need the emission reseting as you will now be running rich, any local garage should be able to tweak it for a couple of quid, or ask if a mates got a gas machine them selfs.

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

i beleive the crank case vacuum helps at high rpms, helps stop oil getting past the rings. I noticed no real difference with mine ventred to a csatch tank then air rather than vacuum, I only did this to proove the breather system was not the cause of the problems I was having though, I put it back to std after a week.