Oil Catch Tank installation

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by mk1 driver, Oct 5, 2010.

1. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I am looking to fit a 1l oil catch tank to my Mk2 8v GTI.

Does anyone happen to have any detailed installation pictures including a list of required parts I will need to fit one?

I'm wondering how you go about making the connection on top of the rocker cover, what connection is needed and if anything needs to be blocked off/re-routed?

Sizes of pipes and thread sizes/fittings would be ideal. :thumbup:

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

There's already a connection on the rocker cover. Use that. Add a piece of hose, a jubilee clip, and cable tie a juice bottle to a handy spot on the inner wing. Don't seal it airtight or the crankcase pressure will blow it off. Don't forget to block off the hole in the intake pipe.

My track car has an old rear washer bottle deployed as a catch tank, and the 914 has a mineral water bottle. Both are fine, and being transparent or translucent, you can see the oil level.

If you want to throw money at fancy shiny ones that's up to you, but they weigh more and don't do the job any better.

3. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i have seen the washer bottle used on track cars!

4. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Having checked the regs it will need to be a 2.0l tank, not that'll it make any difference to the installation.

What's the best method for blocking off where the original pipe went to the throttle body?

... and does anyone recognise who's car this is?

[​IMG]

I've got a sad feeling it might be the car that got caught up in a recent accident.

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

That's quattro64's racer, defunct sadly as of Cadwell this year.

The Mocal tank in that one is an obvious choice for aftermarket.

All it requires is a pipe of the right dia from the breather straight into a tank. Brake servo hose, waterpipe hose, anything. Some folk in the championship have run the pipe straight through the side of the washer bottle. Clearly that means no washer bottle for the screen!

Keep jobs like this simple and quick :thumbup:

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

One of the cars at Silverstone last week was using the washer bottle, with a couple of holes drilled to avoid pressure buildup and allow moisture to escape - otherwise you get condensation / water building up in the catch can. If you look at Mk1/Scirocco bottles, you'll find a smaller one - could probably fit two side by side in the Golf 2, which would be handy if you need to keep the washer bottle for MOT purposes (or look at old alfas / MGs / jags for a washer bag setup. Could give more options in where you fit it.

What regs are you prepping this to?

The quickest and dirtiest method to block the holes would be a short piece of hose, a bolt, and a jubliee clip. I've also seen short lengths of aluminium bar and a hose clip, and if you look at a Mk1 Golf/Rocco kjet inlet pipework, you'll find there are various plastic plugs in some of the hose ends. You could check those for size.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Car Builder Solutions also do a washer bag if you're feeling like buying a new one :thumbup:

8. thegave Forum Member

Do you not recirculate then? Some suggest recirculating provides better piston ring seal.

Also, if you don't seal, what is the likelihood of dust etc ingress into the engine?

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Recirculating oil breathers affecting ring seal? Where has this info come from? [:s]

Low to nil - the pipe is a reasonable length and the bottle is away from the engine. Std practice.

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

Crankcase pressure is blowing out of the engine, so it's unlikely anything will get sucked back in.

Removing the oil vapour impurities from the charge is thought to give more power, as you're burning petrol and air, rather than petrol, air and a load of random gunk. I have no data to back this up, but it makes sense to me. Oil vapour blocks air filters, fouls plugs, and generally gets in the way if there's too much of it.

11. prof Forum Addict

it sucks through the pipe when the engine cools, so chuck an old motorbike filter on it

12. thegave Forum Member

But once engine is off and air cools it will contract, potentially drawing in particulates.

I understand the principle behind catch tanks, I guess I'm just having trouble getting my head around whether to recirculate after the tank (once impurities are removed) or simply vent to atmosphere.

One of the arguments is re-circulating provides better ring seal, because there is a vacuum. or something. But I know a lot of old cars simply vented to atm.

13. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i have one like this with out the sight level line, thingy

its plumbed into the block, the head is currently breathing into the inlet manifold as VW intended, for now

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  14. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I use a lucozade bottle and some plastic water pipe out of a skip, the lucozade bottle gives the engine extra energy, also stabbed the bottle with afew holes to let it breath as said.

15. thegave Forum Member

Here, for example. Unless I read that wrongly.