Oil Coolers........

Discussion in 'Engines' started by 1990, Nov 17, 2004.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Tell me about oil coolers.

Is an oil cooler an oil cooler or are there different types/sizes for different engines/applications?

2. Andy947 Forum Addict

Nah, sometimes they masquerade as screenwash bottles, radiators or even intercoolers.

Slimey little fekrs really :)

3. fthaimike Forum Addict

they come in all different sizes ;)

EDIT me & tubs (i think) are using Mocal 19 row jobbies [:D]

EDIT 2: you can get a type that fits in between the oil filter that acts like a heat sink but these arent as good as the front mounted radiator type.
    Edited by: fthaimike

4. 1990

How do you plumb in the front mounted ones?

5. Atlas 12v Forum Member

A sandwich plate fits above the oil filter houseing and then has the pipes coming from there...

6. 1990

So could i buy a sandwich plate suitable for a golf then take my pic of the bargain oil coolers from e-bay?

7. Carl S Forum Member

The whole cooler setup, inc hoses, cooler, sandwich plate etc. isn't that expensive new, so you might be not be that better off buying second hand... A friend of a friend supplies the Mocal kits if you want me to enquire for you...

8. Atlas 12v Forum Member

No a picture of an oil cooler wouldn't have much of a cooling effect... [:s]

9. prof Forum Addict

ok for road use the standard gti type heat exchanger oil cooler thingy is great

Why? i hear you all shout, well when the engine is cold, the water helps to heat the oil to operating temperature, cold oil is very bad for engine life so this is a good thing

if your radiator is too small then this extra heat input from the oil may cause some overheating, however there are loads of radiators that fit straight in a mk2 that are plenty big enough for anything without a turbo like the ABF mk3 16v one [maybe except anR32 engine]
    So it's cheaper to fit a bigger rad really, than plumb in an oil cooler. my kr engine has 160bhp, and the oil temps when using an ABF rad never ever get above 100 even with driving like a reet twhat

however if you are a track warrior or drive round all day at 7k in first gear then a seperate oil cooler might help, but make sure it has a thermostat as cooling cold oil is just silly

10. prof Forum Addict

also never buy a second hand oil cooler unless you have some way of cleaning the insides thoroughly, if the engine it came from went bang there could be all sorts of shrapnel in there that will f'k your engine.

11. Carl S Forum Member

prof, you say; "big enough for anything without a turbo like the ABF mk3 16v one"

What would you recommend for a Mk2 with a Turbo in it? The corrado VR6 rad?

12. 1990

I think ABF and rado VR rads are the same size.

I'll look at prices for a new kit, it for the track car i will be building.

13. prof Forum Addict

what engine Ian?

14. AMY

Amy Forum Member

:lol:

15. prof Forum Addict

ideally ring up Serck and tell them how much bhp you have them get them to tell you if any of the VW rads will support that. I would imagine the 2000 ish seat ibiza 20vt rad would be the smallest that would cope with it, and Motorheads mk4 rad worked well on sunday. also make sure you have some ducting that seals the rad to the grille so the airflow is forced through it and not round the sides

16. steve r

steve r Forum Member

this is how i did mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13 row mocal with a stat in the sandwich plate, i'll be a t mallory this sunday if your going and want to take a closer look

17. buzzby Forum Member

Steve thats cool. Where do you purchase it from and how much?

Also how long did it take you to fit and can the rad be mounted anywhere else as i have AC in my golf and there is no more space in front of the radiator.

Ta

18. darnold4 Forum Member

Nice work steve...

anyone got any tips for an oil cooler location in a mk2 if I've got an AC condenser in front of the rad and Intercooler down behind the bumper?

front wing perhaps (like the corrado IC)?

edit: oops! repeat question sorry Buzzby (hey didn't you used to advertise BT?)
    Edited by: darnold4

19. 1990

Thats great Steve, thanks!!! Do you remember how much it cost?

[:^(] It will be ABF powered :)

I dream of 1.8T's but i'm being realistic this time. I plan to build a baby motorhead mobile, it will be the same colour and style but be a 3 door 2.0 16v with G60 brakes instead of Brembos and other cheaper bits in placwe of his fancy bits.

20. iguana Forum Member

Demon tweeks do a complete kit, not the cheapest people to buy off tho. I got 10 row 235mm wide (rather than the 115mmwide jobbie) 45 for cooler, 75 for sandwich plate-with built in stat & the braided lines (plus vat & del)

Got it yrs ago for a differnt project & in hindsight Id prob would have been have gone for 13row jobbie, altho this one this has coped fine.

Orginially mine was mounted Mk1 style beside the rad, but needing a bigger rad as water temps too high- (oil ok tho) & then lack of room ment it had to be moved.

So to get max cooling air over the rad, rather than do the normal thing of mount in front of the rad, the cooler was moved below the bumper behind the grilles there. (horn moved for same airflow reasons)

Cack angle to see it in the pic but it is nicely in the airflow when seen from dead ahead.

[​IMG]

However I do know a chap tho running a stripped Mk1 with the normal 9a botton end Kr head/cams conversion who tracks it hard for like like 15+ days a yr & all he has is the normal water/oil cooler & its always been fine for a couple of yrs, maybe lighter weight = less engine stress I dunno but he saw no reason to get an air/oil cooler.
    Edited by: iguana