Oil filter housing with extra sensor hole

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by AKAeddypeck, Nov 8, 2023.

1. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

Have I imagined it, or are there some versions of the oil filter housing that have 3x m10 threaded holes? Maybe mk3, corraddo ???

I'm just thinking it would be a more elegant solution for running aux gauges if I could put an extra sensor directly in the housing that have to use an adpater.

It would be great to know I'm right, it would be even better if anyone has a specific part number or can say what model.

The alternative might be to drill and tap a hole in the flat, but I'm not convinced I'd be able to pull that off successfully with hand tools.

[​IMG]

2. daNpy Forum Member

The ABF filter housing has 3 holes. MY PL used to have 2 as well.

AKAeddypeck likes this.
  3. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

You'll maybe remember Tim that my MK2 is a very late one, probably from the last few weeks of production going by the numbers.

It came with the 3 x port bracket, R053115417A.

There was a single blanking screw originally, but I've since added some gauges.

Sorry, piccies by torch light so not the greatest.

oil bracket.jpg

oil bracket1.jpg

daNpy and AKAeddypeck like this.
  4. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

Thanks, I’m glad I hadn’t imagined it

5. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Yes, my mk2 16v (KR engine) has the three ports with one blanked off. IMG_2033.png

AKAeddypeck likes this.
  6. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

Great thanks, also. Where did you get your expansion bottle return hose? Surely that's not the original 30+ Year old bit of rubber pipe?

7. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

8. daNpy Forum Member

Then look for Golf 3/ Passat/ Corrado parts ;)

9. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

Yep, I'll keep looking. No rush.

daNpy likes this.
  10. Zender Z20

It was likely an old post I made on the MK2OC that put it back in your mind you'd seen the 3x port bracket before.

As said above, the car must've been one of the last few off the line before German production stopped.

You'll maybe also recall I was finding odd parts that didn't tally with what 7Zap (and others) showed should've been fitted.

The car was 100% original, with nigh on everything as it left the factory, so we were happy they hadn't been changed in at some point.

It was all supposition, but we were rightly or wrongly speculating that maybe some cross over parts from the newly begun Mk3 production were being used for whatever reason.

One thing I vaguely remember was the gasket I ended up using for mine wasn't exactly the same shape as the MK2 ones I'd bought. Could be mistaken, but if so and you do turn up a bracket would be worth checking the flange to block profile / faces are suitable?

You got me looking again at 7Zap... despite what I've said above it does look like 053115417A was fitted to MK2's, but only for a very brief time / chassis number range at the end of production.

MW720001 to end /May '91 to end

Again all just speculation, but if VW intentionally put it on some cars (even if the extra port was blanked off for the UK) maybe there was a variant sold elsewhere that utilised the 3rd port.

Thinking perhaps extra gauge/s on a run out model in some other market or even just to allow the option of the Votex console / gauges to be installed by dealers?

Doubt we'll ever truly know, just another unexplained MK2 anomaly.

Hard to follow but seems to suggest the other engine codes it was fitted to over the same period / chassis range

3rd down...

bracket 7zap.JPG

AKAeddypeck likes this.
  11. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

You have a keen eye sir! It is 30+ years old but from a low mileage Jetta I found a few years ago during the cash back scrapage scheme so was in really good nick.

AKAeddypeck likes this.
  12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes as said it was fitted to very late production MK2 plus MK3 on. You cant retro fit it though I'm afraid, the hole in the engine block is a slightly different shape and topmost bolt is offset over a bit
    oilfilterhousings.jpg

13. Zender Z20

That has stirred something in my memory... I ordered the gaskets long before I needed them from Autodoc together with a lot of other stuff as they were dirt cheap / post free.

It was only months later when I went to fit them that I realised I'd the odd oil filter bracket and looked into it further, getting the MK3 gaskets instead.

So that implies very late production blocks are ever so slightly different too?

14. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

Hmmm, thanks for the update. Mines a ‘91 so clearly not late enough then. That’s obviously why people don’t do this.

I guess it would be overkill to go for a 2.0 bottom end just for an extra m10 sensor lol

15. Zender Z20

16. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

it says: Not suitable for GTi versions with front-mounted oil cooler
    I wonder why?

It's also quite pricey [:v:]

17. Zender Z20

Maybe referring to the MK1 GTI's that have the separate oil cooler matrix, mounted up beside the radiator?

oil cooler.jpg

oil cooler1.JPG

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
    AKAeddypeck likes this.
  18. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

that one is for turbo/g60 models, so you're probably not going to find it cheap used either :lol: but worth feeding the part number into ebay you might get lucky :thumbup:

AKAeddypeck likes this.