Oil Pressure and Temperature

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by p3nfold, Mar 20, 2012.

1. p3nfold Forum Member

Hi all,

I want to fit an oil pressure and temp gauge.

So my questions are

Whats best psi or bar?
    Where do you pipe them in on the BAM engine?

Any pointers or direction would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

there are 2 feeds on 1.8t filter housing 1 of them is unused so you can fit your temp sender to that.

pressure gauge wise bar/psi is your own call both work equally well. i prefer bar for no other reason than thats what vw/audi use.

what car is the engine fitted to? if its a mk1/2/3 golf get a dual pole sender if you can that does both pressure gauge feed and warning switch, that'll reduce the number of holes you need. if its a std mk4 golf then get single pole as i dont think there are any dual pole compatible with mk4 dash.

either way you will need to get a T piece to fit all the required sensors in (mk1/2/3 need 2 pressure switches, and mk4 you cant replace the stock pressure switch with a dual pole)

3. p3nfold Forum Member

Cheers rubjonny.

It will have a think about the bar/psi aspect.

The engine is fitted into a mk3 golf vr6. I am not sure what a dual pole sender is to be honest. Could you point me in the right direction please?

Also you mentioned a T piece, not sure what size I need? Again do you have an view on this please?

Thanks for responding.

4. rubjonny

dual pole just means the sender has 1 terminal for the pressure gauge, and another one for pressure warnign switch wire. this means you can remove one of the pressure switches and fit the dual pole in its place. run old switch wire to sender as well as the gauge feed. this is how factory VAG pressure gauges are wired in. as i say it means you can reduce the number of senders required :)

T piece you need is M10x1 thread, i got one from demon tweeks but ebay has em also

5. p3nfold Forum Member

Thanks for getting back to me. I will give demon tweeks a shout tomorrow.

6. p3nfold Forum Member

Sorted Cheers rubjonny

7. p3nfold Forum Member

Damn a new problem, I need to order the ABF 16v temperature sensor which has a 1/8 NPT connection to fit the in the oil filter housing does anyone know the part number?

8. rubjonny

i assume you mean the mfa oil temp? thats the smaller white collar one. if so its m10x1 thread:
    1h0 919 563 - oil temp sender, 0-150C, white, M10x1 - 15.97+VAT

9. p3nfold Forum Member

Ah yes its the mfa oil temp sender I am after.

I guess I will need an adapter then? M10 to 1/8 NPT

I am thinking I need to order the t-piece which is M10 male and female with 1/8 NPT connection for the oil pressure sender and gauge.

On the block I see there is a M10 connection with the original oil temp sender and a 1/8 NPT blanking plug.

Actually I wondering if I could use the oil pressure switch instead of buying a oil pressure gauge.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  10. rubjonny

all the fittings in the oil filter housing are m10, vw use metric fittings :)

11. p3nfold Forum Member

ah ok,

So I need a 1HO 919 563 to connect directly into the oil filter housing to read MFA oil temperatures and
    a M10 t-piece to fit the oil pressure M10 gauge feed and 1/8 NPT warning switch.

Sorry its taken me sometime, this is new to me.

So my next question will be I need to wire the plug for the 1HO 919 563 to the engine loom, I will need to find out the color of the cable in the engine bay including the location? I am guessing with will be part of the VR6 harness?

12. rubjonny

for the mk3 dash you use the std m10 oil pressure switches as fitted to the original car, though if you have a duel pole oil pressure gauge sender which is npt then you'll need an adaptor for this. T piece would be required if you only have the 2 holes in the filter housing.

so, M10 t-piece for oem mk3 mfa oil temp and one of the oil pressure switches, m10 -> npt adaptor into the last hole for your dual pole oil pressure sender

wire colours are yellow for the 1.8bar switch, blue/black for 0.3bar and green/black for the mfa oil temp :thumbup:

13. p3nfold Forum Member

I got MFA switch installed at last lol, extremely easy.

Where is the best place to take the green/black wire in the bay?

14. boraboy Forum Member

Where abouts is the second hole in the housing?

I have a T peice with both the pressure sensors in but I still want to fit the temp sensor.

There does appear to be a blanking plug in the top with a hex drive in it but it dont want to come undone, the hex has started to round its so tight. Is this the second hole mentioned?

15. p3nfold Forum Member

No mate I put the MFA in the blanking plug location and my pressure sensor going to the right of that.

I could only find these two holes

16. p3nfold Forum Member

Where is the best place to take the green/black wire in the bay?

I found some loom parts in the bay near the battery tray. there is large loom taped up and then 4 runs of it of which one goes to the engine. Is this the one?

17. rubjonny

mk3 housing and late mk2 have 3 holes, the blank is the one with the hex head. make sure you use a proper good quality hex bit, not an allen key. cant help you on the wire, depends how it was made! if in doubt run your own vdo wires out of one of the spare holes in the bulkhead

18. p3nfold Forum Member

Cheers I will have to take a look. Cheers for you help rubjonny.

19. p3nfold Forum Member

Job done.