Oil problems

Discussion in 'Engines' started by RoyF18, Oct 25, 2003.

1. RoyF18 Forum Member

I started my mk2 GTI (PB engine) this morning and the oil light wouldn't stop flashing, I let it run briefly to see if it would settle but the buzzer came on after a bit so I switched it off. The engine was rebuilt (with new oil pump & cooler) in March so I'm hoping it isn't anything serious. However, up until the last few weeks it's had regular use everyday, but now I've moved to Glasgow I hardly use it here at all.
    Anyone know any simplish checks I can do? I'm kinda stranded here in Glasgow with minimal tools (& knowledge!) so if there's something anyoen can think of to try to get the oil circulating let me know
    Cheers
    Roy

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

obvioulsly check the dipstick!...you can whip out the dist and use a 3/8 bar with a slot in the end to spin the pump till the light goes out..then refit the dist

were the tappets noisey or any funny noisesmaybe a dud sender

3. RoyF18 Forum Member

Sorry forgot to mention that - there's plenty of oil in the sump so I don't need to put any more in. I could hear the tappets rattling a bit (but not really loud), it's the first time it's been started for a few days so I dunno whether that'd be normal or not.
    Remove the dist? (without sounding stupid what's that?)
    Got very few tools remember :o(

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

distributer...youd need a 13mm spanner and a dril and a piece of bar...slap some paint on before you remove so that at least you get it close when refiting

sometimes the distributer will sieze into the block but if youve had a rebuild it should be ok

5. daveybwoy Forum Member

Sounds like a blocked strainer on the oil pump. If in doubt get someone else to have a look.

6. RoyF18 Forum Member

Ok this is wierd - I started it this morning and the oil light went out almost immediately and it ticked over as normal. What does that suggest? An airlock in the oil? A dodgy oil pump solenoid? I'm no expert so I'm just guessing at a few things.
    Thanks for all your suggestions so far :o)

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah possibly an air lock...my g60 did that when i had the pump off
    just keep an eye on it..

8. RoyF18 Forum Member

Yeah I'll be cautious, but I'm just a bit confused why it happened now; didn't really think it was something that could just happen at random [:?:]

9. pigbladder Forum Addict

was the last time used it any differant? like an extra long journey/differant oil/extra hard driving/parked on steep slope??

10. RoyF18 Forum Member

Nope, it got a blast up to Aberdeen and back about two weeks ago, then after that just a few occasional shopping runs/lifts but hardly anything. It's is parked on a very gentle slope, haven't changed the oil for a few months. Maybe it just dosn't like being left alone for a few days at a time...

11. pigbladder Forum Addict

wierd [:s] ..maybe it had a sulk on