Oil temperature

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by markis236, Apr 24, 2015.

1. markis236 New Member

Hi there guys just done a 2L AGG conversion on my mk2 digi 8v and I'm in the proses of beding it in after new big end shels , pistion rings , clutch, 278 pipper cam , and my head has been slimmed and ported and when I'm just driving around at 3000 RPM my oil temp on my MFA is saying my oil is at 98 to 106 digrees is this too hot ? I think it is but people have said with all the mods and being a tight engine it will run hot ?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Mark

2. jamesa Forum Junkie

If you are happy with the running / operation of the car and are using a good quality oil then I would offer that the temperatures are OK.

Are you using a running - in oil ?

3. markis236 New Member

The shop ACUALLY recommended I use 10w 40 semi synthetic and my old engine ran at 80 to 88 digrees I just don't know I don't want to over heat and melt my new engine :/

4. Notso Swift Forum Member

Where is the temp measured?
    106 is not too hot, 120 would be too hot
    what oil are you actually using, as opposed to what was recommended(!)

What is the water at?

5. mec82 Forum Member

Oil temperature can't be controlled directly and is linked to coolant temp through the heat exchanger. So as long as coolant temp is staying 80-100 that should be fine.
    If it's making more power then it will put more heat into the cooling system so will run hotter.
    Good modern oils are fine even over 120deg so any where from 90 to 110ish is normal as long as oil pressure and coolant temp is good.

6. markis236 New Member

I'm using gold line it was pretty expensive for semi senthitc and my water temp stays cool it was just the oil that had me concerns but thank you for your help big worry off me know ??

7. markis236 New Member

Would recommend inpuse fully synetic or semi ?

8. jamesa Forum Junkie

Neither ... use a mineral oil, look up the Millers products :thumbup:

Nige likes this.
  9. Notso Swift Forum Member

Quality oil changed regularly it doesn't matter, personally I think there is less risk with the fully syn due to stability through the heat range with regards to the additive packs.
    There may be an element of 'wives tale' but i race with a guy from Mobil who said (as long as it is reasonable quality) always use the same oil, changing brand/viscosity, type caauses more issues than using the latest and greatest technology, due to issues with the additive packs mixing.

10. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

As already said, I`d only use a mineral oil for running in. I used Millers running in oil, as Jamesa Mentions :thumbup:

11. markis236 New Member

Cheers guys exactly what I need to now :)

12. rdf1988 Forum Member

Yep, I'm running a Digi with 222k on the clock and will reach 98 degrees if I'm gunning it down the M4. No need to worry at all. Just make sure you're fan kicks in when you're idling. :thumbup: