Oil Usage

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Madman1886, May 12, 2011.

1. Madman1886 New Member

Ive got a 2008 GTi and ive noticed its using quite a bit of oil. It was quite low a few weeks ago so topped it up and checked it again yesterday and its about 4mm lower than it was then without the car getting driven very hard at all. The car seems to be running well and is pulling fine in all gears. Also noticed a small bit of emulsion under the oil filler cap but the car isnt running bad and isnt losing any water or pressurising the water system so presume the head gasket is ok

Anybody noticed this on their golf or has any ideas about why its chewing up oil?

Any help greatly appreciated

Gee

2. Pablos007

Pablos007 New Member

Mine uses a litre every 4000 to 5000 miles with mixed driving. (not track days though)

On other forums this seems normal - some worse & some better........

3. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

unfortantly the handbook does qoute 'upto' 1 litre every 1000km or something close!

these modern engine I personnaly believe are designed to use oil to help lube the valves as they don't have fuel spraying over the stems

4. ffrroogge New Member

mine uses about 1litre every 1000 miles with average driving speeds

5. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

1 litre every 5000 miles is still a bit much from someone whos owned old cars with oil leaks and doesn't leak that much

oil catch tank should be the answer from factory!!