Old starting problems. What's new

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by RabD53, Aug 6, 2010.

1. RabD53 New Member

Well well my mk3 gti is not working no more. It was running and it started cutting out. Now it's just not starting. It has had a new coil and distributor before I bought it. I have just replaced the crank position sensor because I thought it was a good place to start no joy. I started looking for problems so i checked the realys and it has the new style relays fitted. I checked the codes and I have got a g40 code and a crank sensor code. I checked the feeds to both sensors etc. I found there is no feed going to the cam sensor. So I am looking for suggestions of causes and repairs and any quick tests. Oh I forgot to say it cranks over fine fuel pump runs and petrol is getting to the spark plugs just no spark. Thanks guys.

2. RabD53 New Member

Does any body know of any body that's got an ECU in the larbert area I could get a shot of for testing purposes or any where I can get a cheep one.

3. Mikey Forum Member

ignition switch may be a cheap thing to change & try?
    Ive had starting problems in my Mk2 before & it was traced to a intermittent & failing switch
    You could disconnect the connector to the rear of the existing switch/ignition barrel & connect this loom to the new switch & try starting the car with a screwdriver in the slot of the switch as a test- saves having to remove the old switch, just to diagnose the problem (Edit - dont try to drive the car like this though as the steering lock will come on if theres no keys in the ignition!)

Dads Mk3 had similar problems & the crank sensor & hall sender in the dizzy were the culprits - a common Mk3 problem it seems, along with the coilpack. Trouble is youve replaced these though? MMm
    Good luck

4. RabD53 New Member

Problem fixed. Dodgy wiring coupled upto a dodgy crank position sensor. Pretty much feel I know the ignition system on a mk3 so any body need help give me a shout.