OMP strut brace

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by RAJ20VT, Nov 15, 2003.

1. RAJ20VT New Member

hello all,anyone had problems fitting this strut brace?

does aMK4 1.8T actually improve with one. omp or other.

i fitted mine this aft. spent an hourfitting it as you have to drill four holes either side. but... the fu*king heads kept sheering off, why?

anyideas of why and how to avoid . its not as if i was over tightening and thestandard screws were replaced with toughend ones but still "ping"off it popped.[:^(]

the drill bit was the perfect size i had to drill5 other positions to finaly get4 in either side......... used12self tapping bolts and2 harden dp drill bits.[:s]

i have done plenty of other stuff. like changingmy whole suspension setting on my MK2 a few years back and even taken me fireblades front suspension off and changed the rear shock on my other bike(s)[8D]

and have never done such a shoddy job since i was in CDT at skool.[:o)]
    Edited by: RAJ20VT

2. jason Forum Member

the self tapers ya get supplied just ain't up to it,i am fitting one tomorow funnily enough,i have bought some nuts and bolts to do the job. ;)

3. RAJ20VT New Member

so r u dropping the front suspension units ?

4. Pike Forum Member

The "bolts" provided with the OMP kits are rubbish, mines fitted with hardend 8mm bolts. It makes me laugh when I see pics of the VW Cup diesel golf with its bonnet open as you can se they've screwed the bace in with the OMP "bolts"

5. Scotty Forum Member

Ive just bought a polished 1 from Allard Turbo (Something like that) But its for the rear.

Do you think I should get stronger bolts!

6. Pike Forum Member

It depends where it is designed to go, my one (also an OMP) bolts directly to the top of the rear shocker shaft, I cut down some nylocks to hold it in for piece of mind. If yours fits differently the cost of a decent set of bolts to hold it in place isn't much.