On Board Cameras

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by samfish, Jan 3, 2012.

1. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Does anybody use an on-board camera on the road?
    I have been thinking about this recently while my brother goes through a claim....

The market leaders are 200-300 it seems with GPS, time/date, G-force etc etc.
    http://www.exeros-technologies.com/car-cameras

An easy way to prove an accident wasn't your fault, or 50/50.

Lots of money, but I reckon it would be worth the investment.

2. Jommanjo Forum Member

Been thinking about this myself.

My old man was telling me about a scheme in Milton Keynes where you could run a camera in your car for the authorities. Sounds great initially, but if the footage is used the defence could surely dismantle every aspect of your driving too? Speed, road positioning, how your manoeuvres could have been interpreted etc.

I suppose if you have your own set up you can choose to use it or not. I fancy it myself.

3. SimonG Forum Member

We assembled some monitoring equipment together to complete an observational operation at work, using a pinhole camera and digital recorder archiving to SD card. Worked quite well actually, showed date and time only though and was all powered by a standalone car battery in the boot. So should work off the main battery OK. We owned all the equipment amyway so didn't cost that much.

4. funbagjuggler Forum Member

I've been looking at in vehicle cameras
    I run a transport company and was looking at putting some in the lorries
    Been looking at these on ebay, item no. 160609628393
    They look quite good value for money
    Picture quality quite good too

5. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

Tricky issue this..

Having a camera in your car sounds fine in principle, but having one put there by your boss just reeks of 'big brother' watching you.
    I guess it's down to who controls or gets to see what's stored - personally I like the idea of being in control of data relating to me and my activities, but this could work against me:

If I am involved in an accident of negotiable blame and on viewing the footage on 'my' camera choose for it not to be considered as evidence - how would that look to the other party if they are aware that the camera was installed?

Can of worms this one.