One-way flap in filler neck on early Mk2's?

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by narge, May 4, 2012.

1. narge New Member

Great to see a separate K-jet section!

I have an 86 Mk2 Golf GTI which I am attempting to get on the road after sitting in my garage for 2 years or more.

I was about to siphon out the old petrol when I noticed that there is NOT a one-way flap in the petrol filler neck. I cannot remember if there ever was one! I just hope that if there was one that I have not pushed it down inside the tank and it is now blocking the hosepipe I am attempting to use - as the end of the hosepipe is not damp with fuel even though the petrol gauge shows it to be half-full. Maybe the float has got stuck and is giving a false reading.

Did that model ever have a one-way flap? Next time you go to fill your K-jet model please have a look and let me know.

Many thanks!

2. danster Forum Addict

I recently removed the one way flap from a Raddo tank to allow the diesel nozzle from the filling station to fit in the neck.
    I had my hand inside the tank to remove the parts I expected to fall down the filler neck, however there was a spring loaded ball valve at the base of the filler neck which is presumably designed to limit fuel spill if the car was overturned in an accident. This check valve will limit you getting a hosepipe down to syphon fuel out if the earlier mk2 golf tanks are the same.
    Be easiest to remove the sender unit / lift pump from the tank and get the fuel out through the hole using either syphon or a separate pump.
    Just be careful of fumes and sparks. :thumbup:

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

another option is jump the lift pump with 12v and have some fuel hose pointed in a bucket

4. V6 Otto Forum Member

K jet early mk2 gti`s never had a one way flap on the top part of the filler neck

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

Not sure about Mk2s golfs, but Sciroccos have the one way flap in the short pipe that feeds into the tank, after the filler neck.

6. narge New Member

Thanks fellas!

Relieved to hear that there is not meant to be a one-way flap in filler neck.

I have just emptied the tank by running 12 V direct to the lifter pump.

Sorted.