Opinions on the Mk5

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Tuff Schmitt, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

Looking at getting a Mk5 very soon, but want some opinions on what they're like.
    I've only been in one briefly before and that was the 2.0 TDI.

I may be going to look at an 04 plate one later, but it's an S-spec. I take it this is the lowest specced Mk5, you can get?

Anyone got a Mk5 TDI on here that can tell me what they're like to live with?

Gracias.:)

2. Rob.gti Forum Member

I have a MK5, but not the TDI.

I have driven most of them though and I would say the 2.0 TDI is the best alrounder. Try to avoid the 1.9 TDI as its quite slow and the mpg gains over the 1.6 FSI are minimal. The 1.6 FSI feels nippier IMO.

The 2.0 FSI is okay too, but has to be driven hard to extract all it potential, again this can become tiresome when you just want a bit of fun. The 2.0 TDI is a barrel of laughs, loads of torque and quite swift midrange.

Spec wise, the S is very simplistic. However, if you are going for a 2.0 TDI then the only spec available is GT as far as i know. S spec is reserved for the lower powered cars (1.9TDI and 1.6 FSI etc)

If you havent driven one yet, the handling of the MK5 is top notch, even at entry level. Its very entertaining and can be thrown about putting a smaile on your face.

HTH

3. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

Cheers for the advice. I'm going to go and have a look at some this afternoon.[8D]

4. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

We certainly WON'T be getting a MK5 after looking at them.[xx(]
    Were they built in Somalia, or something? Terrible.

It's between an A3 or a 3-Series now...

5. gillm

gillm ***** User

i found the build quality very good indeed , in fact i mate has a a3 and i would say mine is better .

6. Rob.gti Forum Member

Not sure whats wrong with the build quality, I have had nothing but praise for mine. The 2 MK4s I had before had more issues, the MK5 is brill.

Have to say though, the A3 interior is far superior