Opinons about the Mk5 GTI...

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by RedRobin, Sep 5, 2005.

1. RedRobin New Member

I'm a newbie here and I appreciate that most of you have Mk1-3, anyone
    with a Mk4? the fact that the Mk5 is a new car means that it doesn't feature
    here....Yet! One day, surely it will.

I'm interested what you guys, as earlier version owners, think of the latest
    incarnation of VeeDub's iconic GTI. I don't need to know cos I've already got
    one and I know what I think of it, but I'm interested in your perspective and
    it's an excuse to relate.

Thanks,
    RedRobin

2. WBR

wbr Forum Junkie

quite few mk4s here mate, and 2 or 3 mk5 GTI's IIRC

3. DarrenW Forum Junkie

I have no direct experience of them, but I like the way they look [:D]

I'll stick with my Mk1 though, thanks!

4. RedRobin New Member

5. DarrenW Forum Junkie

Vehicle related chit-chat I'd say, unless you have a specific technical query [:D]

6. DODGER Forum Member

I drive my Mums a fair bit and it's very nice. It's quite fast, comfy, rides well and is well equiped. Put it into a corner and my MK2 valver whips it's ass :thumbup: . It's just too heavey.

Nice on a long journey though.

7. RedRobin New Member

DarrenW wrote: "I have no direct experience of them, but I like the way they
    look".

....I think VW have done a pretty good job of paying homage to the Mk1 but
    without compromising what is possible with more up to date technology.

8. Rob.gti Forum Member

Here is mine:

[​IMG]

And is bloody brilliant [:D]

9. RedRobin New Member

DODGER wrote: "Put it into a corner and my MK2 valver whips it's ass"

....Really? That surprises me given the exceptional cornering ability of the
    Mk5 with its ESP etc controls plus DSG lightning gearshifts and turbo. Still, I
    wouldn't want to encourage you to write off your mum's Mk5!

I'm not claiming that the Mk5 will beat all previous versions but only how
    good it is.

10. RedRobin New Member

Hi Rob.gti....I recognise you from another web site - My name is Robin/Rob
    so I particularly noticed you.

Yes, they are utterly brilliant!! I've only had mine 4 weeks and 1,400 miles
    but I'm still grinning! :)

11. ianb Forum Member

Redrobin

I've just got rid of my MK2 2 litre valver which was well equiped for trackdays and was a brilliant car.
    I've taken over my wife's MKIV and as standard it was a mediocre package and was not a high performance package especially on track.
    It now has considerably more investment which has brought it up to spec and I'm still spending dosh on it.
    It now looks good is very quick for road and track and it is very well built...why didn't they do that it in the first place.....................like the MK5

Drove one (MK5) today 2nd time as I was considering it as it's been reduced...good spec car for 18.500
    Trouble is it's the wrong colour for me...red
    I would also be spending more money on that for track work [:^(]

It's a brilliant car and is very quick and comfortable....and is very much better than a MK2 valver in standard form...........it will certainly out handle a MK1/2/3/4 AND IS THE BEST YET. :clap:

Next year they will make an incredible second buy IMO.

From my own 200bhp MK2 it's as quick as that more or less even though that had Koni/Eibach suspension roll bars Poly bushed Quaiffe diff etc etc.

I'd certainly recommended the car as the complete package which is very subtle and of high quality. :p

Ian

12. Mr.LaZy Forum Member

Well you'd like to think so it is 13 years newer than the last Mk2's [:[] :lol:

If to wasent then VW have fu*ked some thing up :lol:

I havent driven one yet but i do like the look of them :clap:

13. RedRobin New Member

Hi ianb....I think you hit the nail on the head - The Mk5 is an excellent
    package and very well sorted out. It proudly upholds the GTI tradition.

As Mr.LaZy says, you would of course expect it to be much 'better' being 13
    years further on. I don't think it's a case of one being 'better' than the other
    - It's an unfair comparison just because of the age difference and tech
    advances. Though, out of the box and without any mods, the Mks2-4 aren't
    as exciting as the Mks1 & 5 - That's a common opinion based on truth.

ianb....I know someone who is a bike racer and has driven a standard Mk5
    around Knock Hill in Scotland....He was VERY impressed. But yes, track prep
    as well = loadsa dosh!

14. Dogwood Forum Member

Girlfriend has a black DSG. Fantastic car in a mini M3 kind of way. Best points are heaps of punch, brilliant box, good damping, ride and balance, comfy, quiet, great seats and driving position. There is nothing bad about the car, but ultimate grip is not amazing, especially in the wet (too much front roll stiffness for the tyres) and the brakes aren't startling if you are used to track spec stuff.
    Overall i'd say it's as good as the mk2 16v was when it was launched relative to the competition of the day.

15. RedRobin New Member

Dogwood wrote: "Overall i'd say it's as good as the mk2 16v was when it was
    launched relative to the competition of the day."

....That sounds like a very realistic assessment. I don't think track spec
    comparisons are justifiable though.

Overall, you experienced earlier version GTI guys seem to be giving the Mk5
    the thumbs up.

16. Phil. Forum Junkie

I really do like the looks of the Mk5, think it should age well and be as sought after as the previous models well into their life. - Not the STD rims though, I'd say they will be looking a bit ragged in a few years with nice face scores.

Ive only driven a 1.4 MK5 so im gonna reserve judgement til I drive the GTi - not fair to base a comparison on that but the one obvious thing that I will comment on is the weight of the car. I mean you can really feel the weight of the car transfer around when cornering hard.

GTi though im sure is a top car and as said is worthy of carrying the badge.

17. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Red Robin - And you bought one even though you could easily afford a new M5? :lol: :lol: :lol:

This site is getting a lot less blinkered than it used to be (my first intro to it was after I had sold a mk2 GTi and bought a mk3 GTi 16V - Anyone would have thought I'd bought an old Astra GTE with the amount of stick I got and it remained similar when I had the R32) but the mk4 is generally still unloved apart fron the R.

Shame the new mk5 R32 is so minging. I might get myself another mk4 R32 soon with some serious AMD treatment for a nice round 300bhp.

18. Rob.gti Forum Member

Maybe MK4s forum? or TT forum, or SEATcupra.net?

I have managed to notch up a few more miles than you. Collected mine at the end of June, and quite simply, its a fabulous car to own. Everyday driving and pootling around town is easy and refined. Then when you want a bit of fun, open country lanes and the torquey engine just give the ultimate feeling leaving you with a content and happy smile on your face.

Only thing i will say, although I wouldnt have the GTI without the 18" rims, they are more noticable when driving - road noise is very apparent. This wasnt the case when test driving the GTIs on 17's.

19. sportline Forum Junkie

the mk1 and mk2 16v pushed boundries and changed car desighn and technology across the whole market. The mk1 was i think, the first to use injection on a hatchback and the mk2 was the first with the 16v head. They were unlike anything that had come before them in terms of economics and reliability.

the mk5 gti is a really good car, it does what its meant to very well. But then it should do shouldnt it. its priced at the top of the hot hatch market and being the new gti its done what we wanted it to do. beat the oppositions.
    but in my opinion its pushed few boundries, yes the gearbox works well, but again. it should do. it handles well, allthough what are they comparing it to? it looks good, well thats a matter of opinion, and i or one think it does look good. but it isnt a timeless design and in a couple of years it will look dated just like evry other new car does, there designed that way.
    [:D]

20. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Err, interesting "facts".

Even the Mk1 came with a 16v engine in Oettinger 16s guise. ;)