Our Jack Russell

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by Deako, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Dubmuffin Forum Member

They're all slightly unhinged, aren't they? :lol:

TurbTech - Russels vary greatly in temperament, but all are fiesty little dogs, some all the time and some on occasion. Mine is always on the go, never sits still for more than 5 minutes unless she's asleep. Can be extremely annoying at times, but they are very loving loyal little dogs deep down.
    A friend however has the most placid little russel going. He loves to dig up the garden, though.
    You can sometimes get a good picture of what traits the dog will have from its relatives - Tilly's grandma was a horrible little snappy dog, parents were both working dogs, and she was bought primarily as a pet. She's a lovely little sociable dog, but she's always off down holes when you take her walking, and can be really vicious at times, especially to children!
    People say with dogs such as staffs and rottweilers the dog is only nasty if the owner makes it that way... with a JR this can be the case, but the dog can also be just a nasty piece of work from the off.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

You, are a 1st rate prick.

As for everyone else, thanks, shes such a fun dog.

Jacks vary a lot, all down to the way they are brought up. Give them an inch, they take a mile.

Ours is fantastic, friendly to everyone and all dogs. Very hyper, but then she is only 15 months old. Dont expect her to calm down till she is at least 7-8, sooner hopefully but a bundle of joy.

The ones you see that normally have personality problems are owned by people that no matter what dog they had it would be the same.

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Not strange at all, as pointed out its ILLEGAL!

5. ev nutter Forum Member

id say the same about someone who goes on about there COCKer spanial on a car forum

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

nope mate this is the photography section & has nothing to do with cars.

7. karmann gettit

karmann gettit Forum Member

Brilliant action photos of the lil jack. I know nothing about photography, but I love dogs. Used to look after 2 jrts for my pal when she went travelling. Mad but brilliant fun.

8. Dubmuffin Forum Member

Don't know what point you're trying to make here?

It is strange to me, pretty every JR I see round my way doesn't have a tail.

I know full well that it's illegal but I got the dog without a tail. Can't exactly sew it back on can I [:[]

9. stella

stella Forum Junkie

The point I was trying to make originally was, despite the deed being illegal (except in certain circumstances), an awful lot of dogs still have their tails docked because it is fashionable, or because it's always been done!

So has wife-beating, but that doesn't make it right.

The people I mostly blame are the breeders and the Kennel Club. Both could do an awful lot more for canine welfare, but they don't because they make profit from it, one way or anther.

So I'm not getting at owners, who as you say, usually acquire their tail-less dog without having much say in the matter.

I just keep on about it in the hope that one day, the cruel and pointless docking will be disapproved of by so many people, it will fall out of fashion.

So - sorry for rocking the photograph forum with my views, if I've upset anyone other than cruel breeders!

10. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Agree 100% Stella. If you have a dog thats over 2 years old, then its not really a problem. But anyone buying a dog as a puppy since April last year should be reporting the breeders that continue to dock the tails of puppies that dont have a say in the matter.

Dogs express everything through their tails.

11. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

tails rock....

when I was about 3 I used to get dragged round by our german shepherd with me holding onto it's tail!!! probably the only dog ever that wished it had been docked!!! lol

12. karmann gettit

karmann gettit Forum Member

I was watching that Kennel Club program a few weeks ago and apparently all pugs have spinal problems by having that corkscrew tail. And Rhodesian Ridgebacks with the ridge all have a mild form of spina bifida... scary stuff. The ridgeless ones are clinically healthier but the breeders won't breed them as it is "a fault". Some even ask for them to be euthanased. Anyway I digress, tails are cool. Great Danes and Greyhounds tend to have most problems with tail injuries yet neither are/were typically docked.
    When I worked in the vets on my first day I was called into the consulting room to help with puppies. "Ooooh yes puppies nice" was my first thought, and then I wondered what the sterilised scissors were for. A few minutes later there were 6 little tails and 12 wee dew claws on the table and 6 quite annoyed lil pups. To be honest though I think they got over it quicker than I did. I puked on the floor and passed out.