Outside Temp problem...

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Funkyfin2000, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

Ok peeps, mk2.... the sensor for the ambient temp is on the wing....at the mo, the temp sensor ALWAYS reads 50 when warm weather, as the cold weather hsa appeared it drops slightly, down to maybe 42 if very very cold, back up to 50. Its like its reading real real high....

Ive changed the sensor in the wing and doesn't make naff all difference? how could it be wiring? maybe the amp of the fuse is to high for it? nowt to do with clocks, they have been changed?

Anyone any ideas???

Cheers

Rich [:o)]

2. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

is your garage central heated? :p

3. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

useless reply damn it!

anyone got any decent suggestions! [:D]

4. Ben8v Forum Member

Definitely sounds like its shorting out somewhere along the line.

Check all the wiring from the sensor to the dash and make sure its not fraying anywhere or corroded at the connections.

I have a similar problem with the oil sensor. scared the poop out of me the first time, driving along once pressed the button on the stalk the renowned 5 times only to find my oil was at 148c :o so I pulled straight over to see what the hell was going on, opened the bonnet had a look couldn't see anything suspect so switched ignition back on only to find it at 86c [:o)] seems to do it when head lights are on

5. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

so could it just been touching body work to make it do that or something, connections are fine at dash end and sensor end, tracing back is hard as it just goes in to a massive load of cables of course, everything else is fine mind you !!!

Weird, thanks ben for your answer.. [:D]

6. Rustynuts Forum Member

I would guess that its the MFA computer itself. Mine was causing problems between certain temps, something like between 5 and 20 degrees it would read minus figures [:s] . Anyhow that stopped, and now I have another problem with my MFA, see another topic.

7. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

can't be that shrek lover.....as clocks are changed many times and still same problems...... it being a mk3 dash now as well...and i sitll had problem with the mk2 dash :( :(

hmmmmmmmmm [:^(] [:^(]

8. Rustynuts Forum Member

Ah right, perhaps its a dodgy earth somewhere, could be anywhere though [:^(]

9. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    well horn f**ks up too sometimes, comes on by itsself so could be lniked maybe?

10. Ben8v Forum Member

hmmm, interesting. the horn coming on by its self is unlikely to be linked to the MFA. Its most probably a loose connection/faulty switch within the steering wheel.

As for the sensor if you can, try running a separate cable directly from the sensor into the MFA bypassing the one its currently using. That should tell you whether its the wiring.