Over cooling a SC or turbo engine

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Admin, Feb 24, 2005.

1. jc.. Forum Member

and the summary.....
    get a Mahoosive one!!

2. boblet New Member

you read all 8 pages and came up with that jc? lol

cant wait to get on my automotive engineering course at uni, need any apprentices TT?

3. eubank75 Forum Member

just read this post. omg [:D] [:D] :clap: :clap:

i love it.......
    big turbo+big intercooler= BIG POWER.:lol: :lol:

4. Admin Guest

:lol: not quite....

5. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

for cooling better going bigger than smaller depending on airflow from your application being sized to the core & associated pipework. Its a system of which one part is a heat exchanger.

Ask yourself why you want one...
    If its because you are running more boost, its higher induction temps will require greater cooling... so ........... the rest is obvious.

Not saying sticking a core the size of a truck onto an overworked little turbo is'nt going to have side effects on filling the thing, cos it will.

the general statement of bigger is bad is simplistic & misleading - show me an intercooler manufacturers FMIC core which is smaller than the OE equipment it replaces. lol

;)

6. lairy_1

lairy_1 CGTI Regional Host

God it's been a few months! :lol:

7. badger5

yea... i know mine cant be working.. as its only supporting adequate cooling for 500bhp from 2.2bar boost.
    should have stuck with a small one..

lmao

8. altern8 Forum Junkie

what was the end findings after the 8 pages [:|]

9. jc.. Forum Member

one thing i learned when I was doing research for my turbo conversion that isn't often discussed is getting adequate ducting around the intercooler.
    Given that half the core is behind your bumper and other bits may be out of direct air flow, by boxing in the core between the front edge and the rear edge of whatever is in front of it, bumper etc, the airflow from the front of the car can't escape around the sides and over and under the core, you dramatically increase the efficiency of the intercooler, you have too, its just common sense.
    The other aspect was intercooler use on cars with undertrays, the airflow can be limited as once through the i/c and radiator it is effectively entering a poorly closed off box. (bonnet, wings, bulkhead, undertray)

10. monzablue16v New Member

So........... Which intercooler should I use? Sprinter or focus diesel?

11. badger5

on what car, what turbo, what expected boost or power did you aim for, and what are the respective dimensions of the two cores you describe?

12. monzablue16v New Member

Engine is an AEB, although it is near enough an AGU now, turbo is K03 running 3" - 2.5" dp and 2.5" system. Intercooler core sizes, will have to double check and get back to you guys. expecting up to 200bhp anything above that from a k03 will be a bonus really. :)

13. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Forgive me for trying to simplify here...But the way i understand it is...

If you have any boost reading (positive pressure) at all in the inlet before the head at say WOT for example, then there's a restriction (obviously[:$] ). The intercooler is pressurised at this point, and inlet tracts then surely become the restriction...along with the head ports/valve sizes etc?

Sure the flow of the intercooler could be improved, but the restriction at the inlet/head is still there?

I know that air 'flow' and air 'speed' will be affected by intercooler size/core design/inlet and outlet shape and sizes but it will always be pressurised when showing positive boost...So will there really be a pressure drop if the boost pressure is that same, and the head hasn't been worked?

My G60 boost gauge shows the same 15psi at WOT with a sierra cosworth intercooler as it did with the standard crap.But there is an obvious improvement with it on hot days.But id love to see it go N/A on the rollers ;)

The way i understand it is that you would only really feel any lag if your head/inlet used all available boost (went normally aspirated) or dropped off significantly and the intercooler/inlet had a split second to re-pressurise?

Im possibly talking b0ll0cks at some point above:lol:

14. badger5

namely b0ll0cks as I see it, but it made me smile. no offence btw..

pressure is pressure in a static system so from turbo to inlet you have +ve pressure when turbos spooling. Pressure drop is flow related so for a given flowrate there is usually a small pressure drop across the core for the same massflow.. think of it as pumping losses of sorts.. some effort req'd to push thru the core looses a bit of pressure. if flow is not high then those losses will be less than for a very very higher flow, so pressure drop can get worse on a higher flowing bigger turbo car.

the OP says its a k03 now so its tiny, does'nt have much flow so either of the named cores will be "better" than nothing.. fitment will maybe differentiate them. what are the respective dims of these 2 intercoolers?

15. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

I wouldn't say its namely/mainly *******s as its pretty simple stuff admittedly:lol:
    And ill be honest...i have no clue when it comes to turbo's, never had one or really looked into them.

But i can't get my head around this pressure drop. Again using my g60 as an example, 15psi at WOT, measured in the inlet manifold and assorted intercooler pipework and intercooler.

My boost gauge dosn't show a drop at the inlet manifold while my foots planted, so how can there possibly be a drop in the intercooler? Surely the real effort isn't to pump through the core, but to pump through the whole inlet/head?

There is a certain g60 that went n/a on the rollers by the way...;) Awesome cnc head helped it along the way. Maybe im not understanding a difference between the way a turbo works compared to a G-lader...

Neil.

16. monzablue16v New Member

Well I went to the scrap yard today and found myself a Transit intercooler which looks the ideal size. Will have to see how it fits in the next day or two. If it's ok for a Transit it should be ok on a mk2 Golf. will try and get measurements up and you can tell me if it's worth continuing :)

17. 20vt Forum Member

this is the intercooler im going to use in my corrado 20vt. the setup is, garrett t28 turbo, 3" down pipe to 2,5" exhaust with just a back box, 3" intake. 2,5" boost pipes, mk3 abf throttle body.

its from a bmw 535
    dimensions 700mm long, 130mm high, 110mm thick
    im goin to get the inlet and outlet moved the the ends of the ic.

opinions?

[​IMG]

18. badger5

measure boost on outlet of charge as well as at manifold plenum and look for the difference. thats the pressure drop.
    :thumbup:

19. badger5

would be adequate I think.
    looks like a bar and plate type core?

20. King Kwik

King Kwik Forum Member

It's a shame TT is'nt around any more. Very knowledgable chap .