P0420 Fault Code

Discussion in 'Vagcom / VCDS' started by seanlikesfood, Feb 25, 2013.

1. seanlikesfood

seanlikesfood Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

I have this fault code(p0420) on my t4 camper(I still have a gti just thought I may get good advice on here)
    It says on the OBD reader, Catalyst System Efficiency below threshold(bank1)
    To me me this either means the cat or the pre or post lambda sensor is at fault. However the Cat was changed 5000 miles ago and is only 18 months old, so I am leaning towards one of the sensors. My problem is I don't want to change parts until I fix the problem(could get expensive). I appreciate the CAT could be at fault even though it was a recent change.

What would be the best point to start? It is a 2.5 Petrol running LPG.

Any help would be appreciated

2. turbotommy Forum Member

Ever had a fault code saying fuel trim/system running rich?

3. seanlikesfood

Tommy- nope never had that code. I tried a reputable Cat cleaner but didn't work.

What leads do you scope on the sensors? I take it those images are what you should get on the scope if the sensors are serviceable?

4. turbotommy Forum Member

Cool,Just asked as I got the same cat code after running with the system rich one. too much fuel can ruin a cat converter,hence the question.

5. seanlikesfood

Yeah I am hoping its not the Cat but you never know! Guess its time to blag the Oscilloscope from work!