P2P IP Blocking.

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by Paradroid, Dec 15, 2003.

1. drew Forum Member

It does mean you shouldn't use them, unless you enjoy wasting your time! These lists are *totally* useless, they won't stop anybody or any organisation accessing a P2P network in an organised attempt to discover what people are doing.

The locks on my car actually work, even if they aren't impregnable. These lists are a 'lock' which doesn't actually lock anything at all.

In fact, a quick scan of the list shows up many companies who have nothing to do with P2P. My own company 'Sun Microsystems' is on the list and I can guarantee we aren't involved with scanning for P2P abuse!

Don't bother with them, it is an utter waste of time.

Cheers,

Drew.
    Edited by: drew

2. wedgiesaurus In Delete Queue

hey guys, i have the site with the list, i use azureus v7, and i cant figure out how to use the ip filters. i tried copying and pasting that list into the "filters.config" file and then saving, but it did nothing (at least that i can see from inside the program). i made the file read-only so it wouldn't overwrite it.

what am i supposed to do?

3. Paradroid Forum Developer Paid Member

Download the "filters.config" as a file (right click, save as' and overwrite the one inthe azureus program folder.

4. mk1 ben Forum Member

i hqave no idea what ur on about here
    i use emule to download lots of music so how do i sort this out or shall i just leave it

5. mike.e Forum Member

a configurable firewall is the only way to prevent unauthorised access. Lists of ip address' will not work!

the downside is that unless you have an understanding of tcp/udp ports and protocols, you are going to need some help to configure, monitor and more importantly maintain.

chances are that unless you have been identified 'they' wont bother with you and if you have, applying filters to your firewall to a case of locking the door once the horse has bolted.

*meant to mention, even if you block an ip address or even a range, the very nature of p2p networks mean that you cant really block anyone.

access to your machine is easier than most people imagine...
    Edited by: mike.e

6. j4ck Forum Member