Pagid RS race pads - are they worth ....

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by GVK, Nov 3, 2005.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

The extortionate price? [:$]

I've tried a lot of different pads on my car, from Pagid fast road up to Ferodo DS3000 s,I'm doing a track day at Cadwell in a couple of weeks and don't have any track pads at the moment.. my mouse keeps hovering over the 'buy me' button on http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk for a set of Pagid 'blue' RS4-2 but at 120 for my 16v calipers, I keep thinking are they THAT good? [:$]

I have heard good reports about them from Dogwood and Colin who races the M3 in Kumho BMW champs. uses them and swears by them [:s]
    Edited by: GVK

2. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Just buy them you tight git :lol: :lol: ;)

So far Ive done Donny x 4, Croft x 1, Cadwell x 1, Curby x 2, Mallory x 1 + 4k on the road on the same discs and pads :o a far cry from throwing them away at the end of each track day

3. iguana Forum Member

Flipping eck thats some long lasting!

Being in the trade Gary you should be able to get 'em cheaper tho

4. GVK

Where from??? [:s]

In my experience, being 'in the trade' only helps if you have a trade account with a firm [:$]

MSW list them already discounted.. RRP is 133:lol:

5. iguana Forum Member

Guess you are not such a blagger as me then G

try this-

"Hi yeh, im thinking of ordering xxxx product, amounts well im was thinking of 100 a month- oh yeh you'd be intersted eh, ;) so what price could you do me, hmm thats pretty good, tell ya what weve got a track test day coming up so send me a couple of units & lets us test them & I'll get back to you with my order"

Works a treat :lol:
    Edited by: iguana

6. GVK

Well, blag me some then :lol:

7. mexicorich Forum Member

Doubt you'll get Pagid RS free to test on a track day!

Prodrive and Ralliart test them - no disrespect but doubt you'll stand up very well in comparison!

Pagid RS are the very best that you can get. Whether they are worth it depends upon how highly you stressyour brakes and for what duration. I'm not very up to date any longer but Colin Mcrae's Subaru had Pagid RS in them back in 1995 when he was champion. Like all top rally cars you will have seen the brakes continually glowing bright red/orange - clearly they cope with destructive use unlike some competitors'competition' product. RS formulations are very clever giving a useable level of friction and brake pedal when starting out and on the road, yet theycan cope with intense heat and recover exceptionally fast between each brake application.

RS4-2 was the original competition application at world championship level. RS4-2-1 was the slightly sanitised version for very fast road cars.

Don't know about the last three or four years but Pagid Race linings used to be used by every class winning car at LeMans for a number of years. Endurance race cars need the brakes to last as long as possible to avoid time in the pits, so the linings have to be kind on the discs too.

Factory Porsches us Pagid race pads. If you buy a Ferrari and specify their brake upgrades they certainly used to use PagidRS linings. Ferrari track day drivers who are members of theFerrari drivers clubs know this and use Pagid race pads also.

Only Pagid could produce a material gentle but also effective enough to be used on the aluminium brake drums of thelittle Audis (A2s? i can't remember).

If you order yourLotus with the aluminium brake upgrade, gues which linings are fitted?

Pagid have the best material technology to produce a pad thatwithstands immense temperature without degradation, offers high friction at low temperatures AND is kind to the disc and drum materials too.

John Freeth atPerformance Braking Ltd. used to be one of thebest suppliers - don't know if the contact details are still correct: Mr John Freeth Phone: 01600 713117 Internal Phone: 222/227. Fax: 01600 772561. Email: enquiries@performancebraking.com

Go to the Lotus Seven register website and you'll find the details listed there http://www.lotus7register.co.uk/resopage.htm

'The Racers Best Kept Secret' used to be the Pagid slogan - they are a genuine top class race part.

How do I know? I used to work for Pagid

8. GVK

Great info,cheers[:D]

9. iguana Forum Member

Hmm fair enough, must be dreaming about the cost+10% ive had then ;)

10. GVK

Still not free tho :lol:

11. GVK

I guess you're talking about the supplied Brembo (galfer?) pads/discs tho Daz?

12. iguana Forum Member

So where did i say free then?

13. GVK

[:[] You didn't [:s] [:^(]

Anyway....If you can get them cost +10% - contact details?

14. Dogwood Forum Member

You've got to bed em in right to get the best out of them. Don't know how to do links so:-

Braketechnology.com
    Racing pads
    Resources
    Bedding in procedure

Do this and they are sh*t hot from scratch.

15. GVK

Thanks Nick, I'm still umming and arrring about them :lol:

16. rradogolfman Forum Member

ummm i think you should arrrrange to get them set over to you that way you can give them th GVK seal of approval and then we can all get some without wasting our hard eaned!! :lol:

motorhead seems to be getting good life out of them so that seems a good enough reason to buy em,, the DS2500 ferodo`s arent exactly cheap to keep throwing away every few trackdays,, ;)

17. GVK

I'm not sure that Daz uses them Olly, I think he's on about his Brembo stuff. [:s]

I'm sure they are good pads,but they want to be for the money [:$]

18. Personally i wouldn't spend the money but TBH that's cos i'm tight.

IMHO They may be the best pads ever but unless they out lasted the other pads by the same factor as the price, i wouldn't get them. Fair enough if your racing or competing and the last 10 yards of late braking makes a difference, but personnally i think they're a bit excessive for trackdays.

19. rradogolfman Forum Member

its a hell of a lot of money for a consumable,,
    at the ring though all the porches and fast cars seem to be running pagid blues so they must be good,,
    120 is allot though,
    I got onto EBC about the terrible greenstuff front pads i had off of them,,
    they then sent me a full set of the new redstuff ceramic pads, they seem really good,, not tried them on track yet though

20. Dogwood Forum Member

They are expensive at 120, but if they perform better, last twice as long and are kinder to discs than pads that cost 60, its nowt lost as far as I can see.
    Most of the decent pad suppliers have a rep or techie at race meetings, often trying to push their product with freebies etc.TBH most admit to being second best.