pair twin 45DCOE's: ABF race engine: unusual starting problem??

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Jon Olds, Mar 28, 2016.

1. jamez Forum Member

If its not the carbs and the ignitions works....2 things

Is the ignition set right to provide a spark with little trottle input wilst cranking.Giving more trottle at start up might be giving a better advanced spark from a different part of the map if your running a tps

Is the exhaust blocked..ie poor air flow

Engine earth strap good...would account for a week spark

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

If its not the carbs and the ignitions works....2 things. The dizzy is clockwork and the crank speed spark advance is ok.

Is the ignition set right to provide a spark with little trottle input wilst cranking.Giving more trottle at start up might be giving a better advanced spark from a different part of the map if your running a tps. Not mapped ignition
    Is the exhaust blocked..ie poor air flow. No its free, its a jetex rally that has been proven at 200hp

Engine earth strap good...would account for a week spark. Earth strap good.

I have fully rebuilt the carbs, didnt find anything wrong and starting is improved. Bizarre. Still have the FPR and ballast resistor in, so far
    Jon

3. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Is spill back correct?

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Not sure, semi forgotten what these do. Something to do with pump jet volume I think. Anyway the pump jets fire nearly a metre across the garage with the carbs off. Would be great fun if I had them targetted towards the chiminea with it on.............especially good after dark!
    Jon

5. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Any updates?

6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Usual race car problem, not enough use. If it were my daily, I would know its quirks. Fired it a couple of time, a couple of pumps and it fires, but its not a quiet beast, so with deference to the neighbours don't tend to run it much. Gone back to coper cored basic NGK's 12 a set.
    It desperately needs a rroad session, but the local lot want 150 for 45 mins work, and then you learn minimal amount about the cars state.
    God, I need my own rroad, and may buy one soon.
    Excessive? Probably, but Ive had the loan of one in the past and the progress you can make unhindered is unreal
    Jon

7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Absolutely fixed, was out racing it yesterday and starts first turn hot and cold like it always used to. Long story short, you cant run a ballast resister on lumenition optronic on a VW coil.
    Jon